Monday 30 May 2011

Small But Useful - gift idea, keychain


It took about two months of every-day use, on a key chain with two other keys, before the Phillips head burrowed a hole into my jeans pocket, so I went back to Victorianox's pocket-friendly Swiss Army Classic.



The size and shape are nice and discreet. The metal is high quality for the cost and it's sturdy. The blade is very good, the handle system is very well designed and it locks open; the serrated edge is excellent for rope; the plain edge is a simple, one-sided bevel that's sharp, sturdy and holds a good edge. The screwdrivers work, but the slotted (flathead) ones cannot generate much torque since the blade is part of the handle (the Phillips is less tricky); overall they are sufficient for house/office work, but insufficient for locknuts or rust. The bottle opener works well (a can/ bottle opening combo would be much more useful in the same space). The locking mechanism was so stiff that it was inconvenient to open for about the first month - which meant that I didn't use it as much as I would have liked, but there were no fears of accidental opening. If I didn't mind patching pockets, I'd still use it; it never damaged anything else in my pockets - it's just like another key.

This thing is amazing for how cheap it is. It made it through security on the airplanes with no problem. The only problem I have is when i use the screwdriver my hand is holding the blade so i have to be careful not to squeeze down, but that's minor. Cool product.

The first thing most people reach for when they realize that they don't have a tool is their keys. This being the case, I have a small light and this Swiss Tech tool on my key chain. You forget that they are there until you need them. It will not last forever. I have gone through a few of these over time. A little play will develop and they can fall off. I usually expect that it is going to be good for at least 2 years. One of them broke when I dropped my keys. That being said, this is probably the coolest thing ever. You can cut off price tags, open boxes, and turn small screws. Used it to replace the batteries on the micro light, also on my key chain. Also good for food packages that don't want to open. There is no way to cover everything that I use this on, it is just darn handy. If you take a flight somewhere, you will want to remember to leave this in the car.

My husband has had one of these for over a year (or has it been two years now?), and we use it all the time, especially for opening cardboard boxes from Amazon! It's such a useful little gadget, I'm ordering one for my dad. Great Father's Day gift.

While there are some logical uses for this Swiss Tech Key, it seems almost a PITA to use it at most times. Opening it for the knife is actually quite dangerous, just as the way it is folded together. As for the keychain part, it also has a huge downfall: every time you use it, it comes off! Then you have to put it back on. I always forget this fact, too, which leads to my keys falling down, and sometimes that's not good! I suggest finding another utility key.

I ordered this as a gift....when I recieved the package in the mail the swiss tech box was there, but the tool itself was missing. I was very disappointed. It was tool late to to wait for them to replace it.

I had one of these for about two months before the Phillips screwdriver on it broke. One of the four "blades" simply cracked off while I was removing a screw. I wasn't applying a lot of force, and if it had been made better, it wouldn't have fallen apart.



I really like the design, I just wish the stainless steel they used wasn't so brittle.

This tool is a good idea, and has some useful stuff on it. However, maybe it's just me, but I have a heck of a time getting this thing opened. You have to get your finger nails into a tiny little notch (and since as a guy I always keep my nails cut short, that's not easy), and apply a fair amount of pressure to get it open without your nails slipping out of the notch. I hardly ever use it because I know it's going to be a 3 minute struggle just to get the thing open.



I'm leaving it at 3-stars (and not lower) in the hope that maybe it just needs to be broken in more and it will start opening more easily, and also because the size is nice (it's no more obtrusive than a normal key).



It's also cool how the part that attaches to the key ring comes undone when you open it, so it's easy to take on and off the key ring for use.

I first got this free with a utility knife I got for my husband, and kept it on my keyring. When it got misplaced I realized how much I really relied on it! For everything from removing the housing on the rear brake light on the car to opening the (seriously adult-proof wrapped) kids Christmas presents. I use the blade and philips head most, but the flat head has come in handy, too. I wouldn't rely on it for a bottle opener, though. Also very convienent to keep it on the keyring, so it's almost always on me. - Small But Useful - Pocket Knife - Swiss Tech - Keychain - Gift Idea - Multi-tool'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information