Monday 30 May 2011

Macbook Charger - apple, cables


I think the price Apple charges for this kit is expensive, but I think that applies to all Apple products, so many Apple product users may not consider that an issue (as we were willing to buy the product in the first place, right?). What I think adds to that issue is that many people may only want one adapter for one region they are travelling to. Apple does not provide an option for this, and this kit may then be overkill as a solution.



The other issue I have with this kit is that it forces you to use the full power adapter directly in the socket. This can be a major inconvenience if sockets and socket space is limited. It is for this reason that for people planning to travel to multiple regions with different plug types I suggest you consider buying Incipio Technologies TK-201 The Continental Companion Cables International Adapters for Apple Block Chargers. This gives you plugs for all regions and has thin, compact cables between the adapter and the plug. This means you can take up just one socket. I think this is important when travelling as one rarely knows what the socket situation will be in hotels, friends homes, airports, cafés, etc.. In public places especially, I have found socket space is often limited (usually by other people using them).



If you need a USB power adapter for your Apple device there are many inexpensive options available. This one (USB/AC for MP3 Players - White) for instance is very inexpensive ($2.70 as I write this) and has great ratings. This kit (Apple iPod USB Travel Kit with Car Charger/ Travel Adapter/ Cable - White) is also very cheap (a few dollars), has Amazon Prime, and includes what you may find useful for keeping your USB charged devices ready to go. As far as I can tell from the photo its upports 110 to 240 v.



I was not able to determine, however, if the USB/AC charger supports 110 to 240 volt power. This USB charger does though - Universal USB Wall Charger for Apple Ipod Mp3 Shuffle Nano Video Touch Classic Iphone.



My other tip is this:

If you are planning to just travel to one location needing a different plug type, I suggest just buying a pin adapter. I use them all the time. One like this would do the trick nicely (also has Amazon Prime option).



UPDATE (Nov 2010): I notice that the Incipio Technologies TK-201 kit I recommended as an alternative to this one is currently (and often) not available here on Amazon. You can get it at myincipio(dot)com and quite likely elsewhere on the net. Another option, however, is to simply get a compact pin adpater kit. One that is small and very inexpensive is Lenmar AC5 World Travel Adapter Plug Set. That way you take your existing plugs and things with you, and the pin adapter(s) for the countries you plan to visit. This is a perfectly viable option, because all your Apple power adapters (for iphone, ipod, macbook, etc.) will support 110 to 250v, so it is really just the pins you are needing to adapt.



I trust this has been of help to you.



Jonathan Evatt

International lecturer, Yoga & health mentor, and award-winning author of Peace, Power, and Presence: A guide to Self Empowerment, Inner Peace, and Spiritual Enlightenment Apple MB974ZM/B World Travel Adapter Kit

I purchased this for use with my wife's iPhone and iPod Touch while in China. I somewhat regret this as she will be using only 2 of the included plugs i.e., China and the United States.



The plugs themselves are of impeccable quality, and appear to conform to Apple's usual high standards. This does count for something as you can often get what you pay for. However, I would recommend that only people with unusually diverse itineraries purchase this kit and instead get a general purpose adaptor for the countries you actually intend to visit as that will be much cheaper.



Things I wish were true: I wish an airplane adaptor was included. I wish the individual plugs had their countries stamped upon them instead of having to look them up in the manual--some plugs are quite similar; the Chinese plug looks identical to the U.S. plug except for round holes cut out of the prongs of the U.S. plug. I wish it were cheaper.



I don't believe the included power block will work with an iPad. An iPad has at least twice the power requirements of an iPhone. I had a short discussion at the local Genius Bar and the Genius told me that the connectors would work with the high capacity power block which ships with an iPad.



Amazon makes a competing product which also contains an auto charger, the AmazonBasics Travel Adapter Kit for iPod; iPhone 3G; iPhone 3GS; iPhone 4 for about the same price. I have both, and I recommend the Apple product because of the flexibility of using the plug modules with different Apple power supplies, from MacBooks to the 2.1 Amp power supply of an iPad.

Although these adapters are pricier than just buying a $3-$10 generic adapter, it was nice knowing that these adapters were not going to fall off of my macbook charger. It was also nice having the USB plug that I could also connect by using the proper adapter, which is far more convenient than having to plug in my laptop so that it doesn't discharge while charging my iphone. - Apple - Adapters - Connectors - Cables'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information