Tuesday 25 January 2011

Keystone Wall Plate - cat5e connector, gigabit


I recently ran cat 6 cable throughout our house, upgrading our home LAN to (wired) gigabit speed and (wireless) 802.11n. This new network replaced our old combination of 802.11g wireless and cat 5e cable. The cat5e cable wasn't installed that well, I must admit (as the installer). I'd run cables behind appliances, under and on top of baseboard molding, and through the floor in one instance.



This time I wanted a clean, professional installation. I spent a lot of time running cable through the attic and basement, drilling through joists, and fishing cable through walls. After doing all that work the last thing I wanted to do was wire up my own jacks. That's where these came in. I cut a hole in the drywall, fished the cable through hole, and had a professional-looking installation using this coupler, a low voltage old work bracket, and a single gang wall plate.



In two rooms I replaced the existing coaxial cable jack with a two hole wall plate, this coupler, and a keystone coax cable module. I've seen the latter called "F-pin", "F-type", and "F coupler". FYI, the bracket, wall plates, and coax connectors are all available at your local big box hardware store very cheaply. I didn't see any cat 6 couplers there, just cat 5e punchdown jacks.



I installed 3 of these around the house and they all work great. The computers at each spot all report a 1.0 Gbps connection. The coupler fits fine in either an On-Q keystone wall plate or a Leviton Quickport plate. The "CAT 6" embossed above the jack is a nice touch.



This coupler is highly recommended. After a weekend of breathing drywall dust and itching from fiberglass insulation it was nice to have an easy finish to the job. Click the coupler into the wall plate then click the cable into the coupler, screw the wall plate to the bracket, and the job was done. Intellinet, RJ45 Female to Female UTP CAT.6 Keystone Coupler, White

I wanted a wired ethernet connection from my office router to my tv in the family room. This ethernet coupler fit nicely in a Leviton faceplate(leftover from another project) that I mounted on the wall close to the tv. I didn't have to deal with handling the delicate wire strands on another kind of coupler. This coupler accepts an RJ45 connector from a regular ethernet cable and is perfect for my setup.

This connector does exactly what it says. I used two to run about 125 ft of wire from my living room to my home office. They are indeed a nice plain white. I only wish they were a little smaller so I could hide them easier. - Cat5e Connector - Keystone Wall Plate - Cat6 - Gigabit'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information