Tuesday 25 January 2011

Gluten Free - sports drink, coconut


I have tried just about every coconut water company out there (Zico, Harvest Bay, Vita Coco, etc.) and this by far is the best and the closest to the coconut water out of fresh young coconut. Nothing will be beat drinking it right out of fresh coconut but O.N.E comes the closes.



The coconut water is supposed to taste like fresh refreshing, slight sweet water with just a hint of coconut flavor. If you taste strong flavor of coconut, it is probably over ripe or aged. This container also doesn't have any package smell as some of the other coconut water packages have.



Just remember to buy them fresh and chill them before you drink. The flavor is much better when chilled. Highly recommend buying this over the other brands.

Each of these three products has a number of reviews. I don't have much to add to any of the individual reviews. Coconut water is great, if you are in the market for a case of it you already know this. But which of these three is the best?



I went around town and found 5 boxes of each of the three brands (15 total) each, with no two boxes of a the same brand coming from the same supplier. The goal was to get a wide range of product batches. This I am happy to report was pointless. All three brands produce an internally consistent product.



I then ordered a 12 pack of all three brands from Amazon. The only significant difference in packaging is that O.N.E. glues a little telescoping straw to each individual box, the other two brands do not. If you are a straw person this is a feature if not this is just more trash, you decide. The amount per container varies slightly by brand but given the price fluctuation on Amazon I don't consider the 0.1 Oz differences an important factor.



All three are made in Brazil, O.N.E. mentions that it is pasteurized the other two do not (nevertheless, I suspect all three are).



On pure taste, at refrigerator temperature, I found Zico to be the best (say 5/5), but only nominally better than O.N.E. (4.5/5), Vita was a distant third (3/5). Both Zico and O.N.E. taste almost exactly like drinking right from a fresh green coconut. Vita, on the other hand, has a grape aftertaste which I did not like. At room temperature the order remained the same; however, the differences in taste became more obvious: Zico (5/5), O.N.E. (4/5), Vita (2/5). Obviously all of this is subjective.



I observed the price of three on Amazon over the course of a month. Zico (~$24) was consistently more expensive than the other two (~$18-21) which traded places as the least expensive.



Considering the price and quality, O.N.E. is my choice and the brand to which I now subscribe. I consider Zico an excellent, but over priced, product and Vita an inferior product. If, however, I preferred my coconut water at room temperature I would give strong consideration to paying the extra money for Zico. If I used my coconut water as a mixer I would buy which ever one is cheapest at the time.



All three products are better than nothing (the previous option) and I am happy to see them on the market.

My mom recommended to me ONE coconut water, and it's great. Great tasting, full of electrolytes, and relatively healthy.



When my Whole Foods ran out of stock, I thought I'd try the alternatives, including Zico and Vita something. Surprisingly, both weren't that great although I think in one case it may have to do with them trying to mix other juices in (i.e. not pure coconut water). Another brand I tried was worse. That's pretty sad because other than good OJ or apple juice, nothing beats coconut water and more people ought to know about it. No matter what brand you try, I wouldn't recommend non-pure coconut water like mango or other juices mixed in because it takes away from it.



I've had coconut water straight from coconuts, and this is as good as I've had. So it was a pleasant surprise when years back they started selling this stuff. In many cultures, Coconuts are a daily staple and the source of a wide range of critical nutrients. It's something people can eat and drink literally every day.



The drink is good like Gatorade after a long excercize. I hate Vitamin water and all the other sports drinks, and somewhat tolerate Gatorade. I'm surprised they don't just imitate coconut water.



Anyways, highly recommended.

Like a few of the people who wrote a review I was born and raised on a carribbean island... Barbabdos to be exact. When I came here I tried to find coconut water that actually,.. was coconut water and guess what , One coconut water is exactly that.

It taste like the young fresh coconut water that it clams to be from ... loook at the ingrediants no additives just coconut water. There is a difference between young coconuts and more aged coconuts. The older ones are much sweeter :) but the young ones are more refreshing and much healthier.

So if you dont know what you talking about..its not right to leave a negative review, because to really know the difference between coconuts you actually would have to taste the orginal product cut fresh and drink it out the nut.

One... Thanks.. I always crave coconut water during pregancy because there is nothing better than young cocnut water to keep a mother and her baby healthy and you have given me something wonderfull. - Coconut - Delicious - Raw Foods - Sports Drink - Organic - Health'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information