Sunday 14 November 2010

Winches


This is the best basic winch you can get. Don't be fooled into buying any of the cheaper ones. Learn from my mistakes. It does what it says it does. Pulls four tons. Has paid for itself in my case with one emergency use. Had to pull and lift 2.5 tons which it did with ease. I would recommend having a snatch block and either a chain or heavy strap to give more options when needed. It is not always possible to get the truck with the winch in exactly the right spot. The snatch block allows for more choices. WARN 26502 M8000 8000-lb Winch

For the price its a great winch, You get the brand name and reliability of a Warn. Looks great and is light enough to not make my front end sag like my old XD 9000I. Highly recommend not going with a cheaper knock-off brand to save a few bucks. If you want something thats going to work when you need it, go warn

I did way too much research and went back and forth between brands and synthetic vs cable. I am happy I went with the M8000 winch with the $80 rebate. The price is right at $539.99 ($459.00 after) for an entry level , but very capable and quality winch. It is more made in the USA than the other products out there (makes me feel good) and the cable was the right choice for me. A lot of people are on the synthetic bandwagon because it cuts a few pounds and looks cool, but the UV light, dirt, mud, sand, rocks, and weather can quickly take a toll on the syn fibers. I called WARN about the syn options and was told that most of the exec's at WARN run cable when it really matters on the trail. I also was asked, 'If you were to slide off a cliff, would you want to rely on synthetic, or steel cable'. Far fetched for what I'll do, but a good analogy. I also picked up the WARN winch cover for the M8000 and it fits great. If you are spending this much $$$ on a winch, you want it to last, and operate like new when you need it. But yes, it looks way cooler uncovered! You won't regret going WARN.

I almost bought this from another retailer but decided to go with Amazon since their customer service is so good. I'm glad I did. The first winch didn't work. Amazon sent another winch overnight had UPS pick up the broken winch. I love Amazon.

You will not find a better deal than this winch that includes free shipping. If you are a first time winch buyer just keep in mind that you need a lot more than just the winch, you need a winch carrier and a grill guard to hold the carrier. At minimum it will cost an additional $400 plus installation to have this winch mounted.



I have not put this winch to a "real" test but I did spool the line and at one point put it under some real pressure by holding my brakes and it never stopped no matter how hard I applied the brakes.



You can't go wrong with Warn!

I've been off-roading for more than four decades. Bikes, buggies and now, a 4x4. Never really thought I needed a winch until I got the 4X4, but since my Trooper weighs in at around 4,500 pounds, I knew there was no way I could get out of a "sticky" situation without a winch. I run in sand at Hatteras, hills and woods at Wind Rock and make the occasional trip to CO to explore old mining trails and hunt for ghost towns. And I always travel alone. So, one of my first purchases for the Trooper was an ARB bullbar and a Warn M8000. That was in 2002. Oddly, since then, I haven't had a desperate need for a winch. Oh, there have been numerous times when I have had to clear a large branch or tree from the trail, but I've never been stuck, so I never had a chance to put the M8000 to the test.



Then, this Spring, I had a 70', 18" diameter black pine break in a windstorm and fall into the lake near my boat dock where we live. After failing to get TVA to remove it (it was on their easement), I decided to see if the Trooper, ARB bullbar and Warn winch were up to the task. The tree was in about 3-5 feet of water and would have to be lifted about 8' to get it up into my yard where I could cut it up with a chainsaw. I had no idea what the tree weighed, so to aid in the lifting and increase the pulling power, I strapped a snatch block onto another standing tree as high as I could reach in an attempt to pull the trunk of the tree in the water up onto the embankment. I paid out about half the wire rope (50') to gain a little mechanical advantage. The tree moved freely as I oriented it perpendicular to the shore, but eventually snagged on the rip-rap on the shoreline. Not sure if I would overtax the M8000, I continued the pull, stopping occasionally to allow it to cool.



The winch struggled with the pull, but managed to coax the tree trunk up and onto the embankment. Then, I attached the snatch block to a tree some 60 feet away and positioned the Trooper about another 30' or so from the snatch block at about a 45 degree angle. When I started the pull, the tree moved only a few feet further into my yard before the winch started pulling the Trooper across the grass towards the snatch block. I blocked all four wheels and tried again. No dice. The tree was too heavy (but the winch, although it was clearly struggling, pulled on). Finally, I backed the Trooper up to another tree and wrapped a strap around it and hooked both ends over the tow hook on the back. When I began to pull, there was so much force that I actually was pretty sure something was going to give - the winch, the bumper, maybe even the frame of the truck. The winch was clearly maxed out and turned slowly. But the tree moved. I took my time and allowed the winch to cool after about each 1 1/2 - 2 minute pull. It took maybe 1/2 an hour, but the tree eventually all ended up in the yard where I could saw it up.



The winch never failed (nor did the bull bar or the frame of the Trooper) and it saved me nearly the cost of purchase that day alone. Now, when I'm on the trail, I have full confidence that I can deal with almost any extrication issue that comes along. Well done, Warn!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Winches Winches Winches