Sunday 14 November 2010

Rechargeable Batteries - wireless, wireless keyboard


I used to have the Dinovo Laptop Wireless keyboard but it gave up the ghost when several keys just stopped functioning all of a sudden--way too soon!



This keyboard is an improvement over the Dinovo Wireless Laptop KB in that the space bar now registers clicks from the **side**--which the Dinovo wouldn't register.



In addition the K800 lets you into the Bios/Setup of your desktop--a first for me with wireless KB. GREAT!



In terms of battery life, it has generic 2 AA NIMH 2000mah Made in China ("Designed in Japan") "low discharge" rechargeable batteries. The compartment in the back has a screw and you're allowed to put your own batteries back there if you want. Among battery brands, I'm partial to the fantastic "new and improved" Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables for their **great** low discharge (retains 75% discharge after 3 years). You can also put AA Duracells if it suits your mood instead of rechargeables. Two alkalines should last a long time (as long as you don't overuse the backlight, of course) as Logitech wireless KBs historically do really great with batteries. The great thing is that this KB allows you to put whatever battery that suits you! The KB also has a battery dial to always let you know how much battery you have left.



The recharging can be done via the yard-long USB cable which you can plug into the computer, or for faster charging, I plug it into the USB power adapter from one of my devices (Android smartphone, Kindle, etc) and continue using it wirelessly.



In terms of KB lighting, the system allows you to adjust the light level at 25% intervals or inhibit the light altogether until when you really need it. I rarely game or use the KB in the dark but it's nice to have this option for the odd time I need the KB lit. Of course, using the light will eat up battery life, but the software allows you to customize how long it should stay on (i.e. 10 sec, 1 minute, etc).....Very customizable.



The KB feel is latopish, but not as silent as my Macbook pro. The spacebar clacks a bit more than the other keys but not annoyingly so and really no different than most KBs out there (unfortunate, IMHO). This is more a pet peeve of mine than an actual real problem, BTW.



The wireless connection is great. All keystrokes are registered, unlike my Dinovo that was MUCH MORE hit and miss.



The build quality is solid and the keys feel that they will last from popping out. Hopefully, certain keys won't electronically die on me within the year, as they did with my Dinovo (Logitech Customer Service took care of me though!)



The keyboard should do fine gaming wired...or even wireless as the reception is very solid. Reception can be made even more robust by attaching the *SECOND* included yard-long USB cable (with a female end this time, to tie-in the detachable micro-receptor) which allows you to extend this tiny receptor module all the way to your desk, and if you wish, you can attach it more securely with some velcro stickies that you can buy at Home Depot, etc.



I have no problems recommending this KB as it gives you options of wired or wireless with great battery life that can be improved with better Eneloop batteries or alkalines, and a bright light function (sensitive to your hand gesture) that can be toyed with to suit your needs. The FLEXIBILITY of this KB is why you're paying the premium, though I do think it's overpriced a bit (and thus why I knocked a star off from a perfect 5)!... Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800

I am one of those rare users with a 1080p projector hooked up to a high end gaming PC that also does Blu Ray movies and TV-DVR. I needed a wireless keyboard with VERY good range, backlit keys, no lag on keystroke, works in BIOS Setup, good battery life and does not drop (needing re-connection). I can VERY happily say that this is the ONLY keyboard I have found that does every one of those items very well! I have personally tested around 15 different wireless keyboard trying to find what this one does.



When I'm doing 3D Gaming on my projector every one of those features except working in BIOS is a must. Bluetooth keyboards drop off constantly, and have lag. Some don't even have good range. Infrared does not have any range. Most other wireless radio frequency keyboards are not backlit. Problems, problems problems. This one is the real deal. I would have paid up to $300 for this keyboard in my setup, but luckily, I didn't have to.



In case you are wondering, the killer mouse I use for my setup is the Mamba Razor. Perfect in every way except 2-issues. When the mouse is turned off, and docked to the recharge port, movement wakes the PC. The other issue with the Mamba Razor is I have noticed it having intermittent lagging after a few hours of gaming. Not yet sure why.

I was waiting eagerly for this keyboard (was using the MX5500 before this) - just because this keyboard had the soft-click (or whatever they called it) keys. (I didn't even wait for this to show up on amazon - ordered it the day it was released from manufacturer's website)



I've used the Logitech Illuminated KB (wired) and it works just as awesome as well. I just wanted to get a wireless one this time.

The battery - WOW! I was plesantly surprised. I got this exactly a month ago - used it 9 hours every business day (I turn off the backlight as soon as I turn the PC on - so I'm sure that contributes to the battery life), but my battery indicator is still indicating full charge.



My only complaint is that the price of $100 is a little too much for this.

It is VERY difficult to type quickly and for long passages with this keyboard. The rounded keys make it easier to miss a key. Also, the pressure required to press each key, greatly slows my typing down and is much more fatiguing. It almost feels like you have to double press the key, which may be a factor of having to press harder than other keyboards. The combination of these characteristics, greatly increases my mistakes. In addition, the sound of the keys is 'thunk-y', not quiet at all.

At work I can type many paragraphs before my hands become tired. With this keyboard, I only type a few sentences before I need to shake my hands out. This keyboard is ok for surfing, but not for real work.

Aesthetically, it lacks the very clean lines which I prefer - probably because of the rounded keys.

-must shake out hands now, for the 3rd time. - Logitech Illuminated Keyboard - Wireless - Logitech - Wireless Keyboard'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Rechargeable Batteries - wireless, wireless keyboard wireless Rechargeable Batteries - wireless, wireless keyboard