Sunday 14 November 2010

Magic Bullet Blender - smoothie maker, kitchen gadgets


I received my Magic Bullet set as a gift, after coveting it for quite some time(love that informercial!). After owning it and using it, I still love it, but I did have to adjust my expectations a bit.

It works wonderfully for soft foods. It is great for making dips, sauces, marinades, salad dressings, tapenades... It is great for blending soft foods, for making emulsions, whipping cream... I have made great hummus in my Magic Bullet, as well as chicken salad. You get the idea.

It also makes an EXCELLENT coffee grinder!

What it does not do is work like a normal food processor, in that it cannot process harder foods. Raw vegetables are a no. Also, forget crushing ice! Those mugs that come with the set are a cute idea, but they are useless. You cannot make a frozen drink with the Magic Bullet because all it does is throw the ice around in circles.

So, If you want a real food processor, do not buy this one. If you want a light-weight and small processor that is great for soft foods and liquids (and grinding coffee beans), then you can't go wrong with the Magic Bullet! Magic Bullet MBR-1701 17-Piece Express Mixing Set

According to the Amazon data base, I purchased the Magic Bullet in March. It is hard to believe that I've been using this blender at least twice every day since. I have used it primarily as a "frozen" drink maker--some would call them smoothies, I call them meal replacement drinks. I have also ground coffee beans to an espresso grind; made pesto, salad dressing, and use it to mix the wet ingredients for my seitan.



What I have learned: the heavier ingredients need to go into the cup first and then the lighter ingredients, whatever they are. When making pesto, this means that the nuts go in first, followed by the cheese (especially if you are using a chunk of cheese as opposed to shredded) and then the basil. If you are using olive oil, it should actually go in last. The reason for the importance of the order is that the blade, while it is put on top of the cup, is actually the bottom of the blender. Putting the heavier ingredients into the cup first help insure smoother blending action. The only time that the heaviest item should not go in first is when it is sticky: nut butter, molasses, etc.



When I make pesto, I leave it in the cup and use the "storage" lid. I have found that it keeps very nicely for about a week.



What I do not recommend: While grinding coffee beans was successful, I was a bit concerned about the motor burning up. It may be because I was grinding the beans to an espresso grind rather than a drip--as they show on the infomercial. I also do not recommend grinding large quantities of cheese. Truthfully, it is questionable as to whether it is faster than using a box grater. I have also tried to grind medications and calcium tablets. It takes a very long time and the pills never really got powder smooth. They also stay "stuck" to the bottom of the cup when blending into a drink.



Advice: remove the gasket for cleaning. When using berries, the seeds can slip under the gasket and cause a mess. Also, when using the Magic Bullet for mixing anything with oil or fats, I recommend washing it in the dishwasher (top shelf). I had no luck cleaning the "grease" out; however when blending just about anything else, it is very easy to clean with just water and a drop of dish soap.



Yes, I will buy another if/when this one dies of over use.



Asides: for some reason, the Amazon data base has me having purchased the Bullet through them through a 3rd party vendor. My purchase was not through the 3rd party vendor--why, when Ammy ships for free? My original review can be found at: Magic Bullet Express 17-Piece High-Speed Blender Mixing System

This is a great little machine. Does not do everything according to the infomercial but is compact and handy with what it does. However the construction is bad. My blade assembly started leaking under the blade and the customer service refused to replace it because I did not have the receipt. I paid for a new blade which again started leaking in a few months, they are willing to replace it but now want me to pay for shipping&handling. I have spent enough on this machine, even bought a few as gifts, I am disappointed that it is not long lasting.

I originally got the Magic Bullet to use to make homemade baby food...I have a full sized food processor and full sized blender, but figured this would be better for small amounts. Well, I haven't had the baby yet, but I'm already using the Magic Bullet and IT IS AWESOME! It makes GREAT frozen smoothies, as long as you add enough liquid...if you just add ice and fruit, OBVIOUSLY it won't work...I add juice, milk, or water along with the fruit, ice, and sometimes yogurt and it crushes the ice great. WAY better than my big blender, which was more expensive and is a pain in the butt to clean! Haven't used it for much else yet, but by the way it does ice, I'm sure it can handle anything else I put in there!

After reading some reviews on here I decided to make my own. Something I think people need to understand is that the Magic Bullet (MB) blender was made for very specific use. I haven't seen the info-mercials but I can say that for me, this is the perfect blender. Here's why:



1. Size - The MBs compact size means it's easy to store. This is crucial for people who don't have a lot of cabinet/counter space. My counter already has a coffee pot, espresso machine,toaster, knife rack, etc. I need a blender that doesn't take up very much space, so for me, it's the perfect size because I leave it sitting out. The extra accessories can be left in the box it came in and put in the attic or basement for storage if you won't be using them on a regular basis. I only use the 20oz cup.



2. Ease of Use - We live in an age where people want simplicity. By design, the MB already has your serving size pre-determined. This is great for people who are conscientious about their portion sizes. In addition, it makes clean up easier. There's no need to pour your drink from a pitcher to a cup, so not only are you using less dishes, but the design of it is just like cleaning a glass. Also, there is only one speed of the MB. This may seem like a detractor, but the switch between pulsing and pureeing works well and should handle any job a normal blender does. I found this surprising omission to be one of its best attributes, hence it's specific use.



3. Functionality - I've only used the MB to make smoothies/shakes and it works great. Some reviewers have complained that the MB underperforms in this area but I think it is a case of operator error. They must be using it wrong because after I got the hang of it, I found that I have a perfect smoothies/shakes. What I would recommend is to blend your ice (approx. 5 pcs) and milk/water (approx. 1 cup) first. Break the ice up by pulsing the MB. Once this is done, add in whatever mix/powder you want in it. Mix it in by pureeing it. Lastly I add half a banana by pureeing it as well. The result is a perfect drink without any ice chunks. I find for smoothies it works better than a blender.



All in all I highly recommend the MB if the details I listed earlier are what you're looking for. If you want more than single servings at one time I would look elsewhere. Otherwise, the MB should be able to handle any job a traditional blender does. - Smoothie Maker - Blender - Magic Bullet Blender - Kitchen Gadgets'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Magic Bullet Blender - smoothie maker, kitchen gadgets magic bullet blender Magic Bullet Blender - smoothie maker, kitchen gadgets