Sunday 14 November 2010

Sd Card Case - cf case, compact flash


I bought the Pelican 940 Compact Flash Memory Card Case to replace a plastic compact flash case that is similar to another one sold on Amazon. That one had lasted me for 3 or 4 years but was being held together by duct tape until I finally tripped and crushed it to splinters. So I went searching for a replacement and stumbled upon the Pelican brand.



I've known of the Pelican brand for years, but I didn't realize they made a CF card case. Pelican is trusted by many professional photographers to protect their cameras,lenses and accessories when traveling or shipping items across the country and across international borders. If a professional photographer is going to trust their tens of thousands of dollars of equipment, I'm willing to trust my compact flash cards to them as well.



The case I wanted to replace my old card carrier needed to be sturdy, fairly light weight and hold at least 4 cards. The pelican is a little heavier than I want, but I know it is sturdier than what I was using. It is intended to hold 4 CF cards but you can easily fit in 6 stacked 3 in 2 rows. I've put 5 cards in the holder so far without a problem.



The clasp to hold the case shut is outstanding. It overlaps the lip of the opposing side and seals tight to tight. I believe it is rated to withstand being submerged under water. All though I don't intend to do this, i feel secure that the case won't allow my cards to be damaged.



The only thing on my wishlist for this item would be a window to see the cards inside the case. I often rotate cards based on whether they are filled or not and it would save me from opening the case if I knew all of the cards were filled or if there was an open slot. This is minor though, and I could always figure out another way of knowing this information.



The case came with an insert to replace one of the side CF card carriers in case you had a pcmcia card you wanted the case to hold.



I've used this product for the past 3 weeks, 5 days a week, and love it. I can even slip a few business cards in it to help in case I lose it or need to pass them out.



When I'm in need of another compact flash case, I'm going to buy another Pelican Compact Flash Memory Card Case. Heck I'd buy 2 more just because I love it so much. Pelican 0940 Compact Flash Memory Card Protective Case

While taking pictures for a rafting company, we took a wrong turn in some rapids and slammed into a rock - I and some of our gear took a swim in whitewater. This pelican card case was in my pocket with a few cards in it. When they fished me out of the river I was soaked to the bone, but the pelican case performed perfectly - water tight and indestructible.



Downside - it is heavy.

This case is fantastic. It holds 4 CF cards securely. It protects the cards and the case appears to be extremely moisture resistant (if not moisture proof). Pelican cases in general are the best. We use them in the fire service all the time to store critical equipment on our fire trucks.

I purchased this item to contain my CF cards and PC-card adaptor when not in use. The case is solidly constructed, and the CF and PC-card inserts keep the respective items held firmly in place while allowing their (the cards') easy insertion and removal from their places in the case; the inserts also easily change in and out of the main body of the case itself. My only complaint is the PC-card insert does not allow for the inclusion of the transport case that accompanies some PC-card adaptors. Otherwise, an excellent accessory for users of CF and/or PC cards/adaptors.

I had a great impression of this case the moment I received it from its package. It opens and closes very reliably. Its closing mechanism is well-designed, in a way that I expect will prevent the case from opening accidentally in my bag. My overall impression of quality and durability is that this unit is consistent with Pelican's other products. Very well designed. Something tells me this thing could survive a meteor impact.



I haven't had much real world experience with it yet. I did put it through a little bit of stress testing--throwing it against walls, dropping it on floors, stuff of that nature. I haven't once opened it yet to find the cards knocked out of their slots.



The only complaint I have is to be expected of such a durable unit: it's quite large, probably about twice as tall and a quarter wider and thicker as a comparable capacity leather wallet would be. This is a natural trade off for build quality, though, and it's once I can easily deal with.

This is great case. Sturdy, sleek, and well made.



The only improvement that I can see which would make it more useful for me would be if it could hold more than 4 cards. Six would be ideal. Another reviewer suggested squeezing another couple in by stacking them which does work in a pinch, however, it is a tight fit and my concern is that I would crack the cards.



I guess I could simply buy another and have two, they're cheap enough. - Compact Flash - Memory Case - Photography - Cf Case'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information