Sunday 14 November 2010

Best Value - 42 inch, samsung


Just received the TV today! It arrived a day early, which was a pleasant surprise. Once I fired it up, I was ecstatic with this set. The quality is amazing for the price, the picture blows away a top of the line 42" 1080p LCD display that I've seen. Deep rich colors, high contrast, fluid motion...there is nothing not to like! Streamed Spartacus off Netflix, and compared to my old little 22" LCD it really came to life.(Even if the writing is really bad)



It was able to find some basic cable channels in HD, which is awesome, and Modern Warfare 2 looks simply astounding (again, much better than on aforementioned 42" and 22" LCDs.)



The sound is decent, it's actually better than I was expecting. It's obviously no Home Theatre, but I was impressed. It's got a few connections which aren't listed on Amazon...the 3 HDMI, 1 PC, 1 USB, 1 Component, 1 Dual Component/Composite, Audio In 1/8", Audio Out 1/8", Optical out, and cable. The menu is very easy to navigate and adjust, and in it you can turn off it's startup/shut down sound if you find it irritating. It's kinda soothing though.



One negative I've found is that the audio running out isn't controlled by the televisions volume, I guess that's pretty standard, but it means my cheap computer speakers aren't much good. (No remote) Also when installing the base stand it felt like I was about to destroy the thread on the screws that are used...They aren't easy to get in there!



It's very elegant, and looks great in my living room. It's not super bright, which I love (LCD panels hurt my eyes after a while) All in all, for the money it's a fantastic TV. I was looking for quality, affordability, and style. Samsung PN42C450 42-Inch 720p Plasma HDTV (Black)

Everything was fine with it for about a month and a half and then I started noticing faint gray streaks on the tv, only visible if the background is a solid, light color, like during a hockey game or a blue sky, for example.

I couldn't return the set, as a month had already passed, so I contacted Samsung about getting it fixed or replaced under warranty. They sent out a third-party tech who checked it out and confirmed the lines and he explained it to Samsung.

Samsung concluded that the problem has to do with the EMI filter and with the anti-reflective coating, which is on the outside of the glass panel and will not be covered under warranty.

Samsung claims that it is my fault due to negligence, claiming I'd used chemicals to clean the screen, which can not be farther from the truth.

Needless to say, this felt like a slap on the face from Samsung. They don't stand by their product and accuse me of being at fault. When I mention that the anti-reflective filter might have been installed improperly, they just recite the standard "we are very sorry" speech...

I'm very tired of spending hours on the phone trying to argue my point to their reps who are not even listening and am very dissapointed in Samsung. I understand TVs can sometimes have faults, but those faults need to be replaced or fixed.



I am never buying another Samsung product again, because the company doesn't stand behind it.

I am truly impressed with this TV. I have been researching LCD and Plasmas for a little while and found this to be the best HDTV for the price. I had a chance to check it out at a local retailer beforehand and compared to other TVs in the store this one completely stood out. Picture was MUCH better than the 1080 models which were more than twice the price. The Sony next to it showed people with grey suits while this one had deep black and vibrant color. The specs (2million:1 contrast, 600hz) blow away anything I could find in this range and the picture is simply fantastic. Plus you can't beat this price!



I ordered this TV on a Tuesday night, received it on Thursday and the guy brought it to my door(4th floor walkup in NYC). I guess Beach Camera should receive the credit there.



Set it up and the TV was able to find a bunch of HD channels and channels I didn't have before, so that's a big plus. I have to say, like the other review, installing the stand was a pain in the ass. I don't think the screw holes were completely drilled out, but I managed.



Sound is great, no buzzing or anything. It is very sleek and stylish and makes my living room look great. Menu is very easy to navigate and viewing pictures with a card reader or USB is a snap. Just plug it in and you have many options for slideshows with music and other options. PC input also very simple to hook up.



You will not be disappointed. Especially with the free shipping, no tax (for me at least) and the great amazon price, this HDTV cannot be beat!

Last weekend, I purchased the Insignia NS-42P650A11 from BB for $449.00, and then returned it the very next day when this Samsung went on sale. Although the Insignia is essentially a less featured, re-branded Samsung, this TV is well worth the extra $50.00 that I paid for the upgrade. Whether TVs or mp3 players, I prefer Samsung products, which tend to be competitively priced and have superb quality and durability. I am replacing a 27' Samsung TV that I have had for 12 years and still works flawlessly!



This was my first time purchasing an HDTV, and I really did not know what all to look for in one. I am not well-versed in the technology, and the associates at BB really helped out here, encouraging me to choose a plasma over an 37 inch LCD. I hope this information helps prospective buyers who might be on the fence about the two or about buying this HDTV in general.



Some features this has that the Insignia does not:



1. Slightly better PQ, although both can play at 1920 x 1080i



2. Cell light brightness function, which really does make a difference



3. A more sophisticated, although awkward and large, remote that allows direct changes of picture/sound mode and picture size without having to go into the on-screen menu



4. Option to transfer mp3 files and play them through the TV. This might be a common feature on these newer TVs, but I am new to this technology so I would not know.



5. USB port and 1 extra HDMI



6. The touch of red color strip across the bottom of the TV giving it a classier look



7. A much sturdier base. I carried both of these TVs upstairs and found out upon unpacking the box that one of the reasons I had a harder time with the Samsung was because of the much more solid stand.



8. Software upgrade via USB port and self diagnosis capability.



9. I am sure there are other great features, but I am still learning the TV.



10. Screen encasing is much nicer with the touch of red strip at the bottom and clear "lip" hang below the Samsung name.



Addressing other reviews of this TV:



1. I have not heard any buzzing. I wonder if the buzzing some people are getting is due to their AV wiring configuration. I do not have anything hooked up to my TV except a DVD player and my DVR box.



2. The stand is not flimsy



3. The volume capabilities are great. I keep this at 14-18 and I can hear it 3 rooms away. I think the volume goes up to 100. I am not sure. I got it to 57, and it still had a ways to go, but I was not testing it!



4. Hey, the screen is made of glass, there is going to be some glare. I do not find that it interferes with viewing, and I have it sitting in a corner between two windows. I enjoy the PQ during the day as much as I do during the night.



5. Unlike some other reviewers, when I registered this online on 6/13, I did not get a 2-year warranty. I was certainly hoping for it though! What I did find out was that my TV was manufactured just a few weeks ago. Who knows maybe some of the newer sets have had the buzzing issue addressed.



6. After reading some complaints here, I cannot imagine how many more features some people want in a $500, 42' HDTV. Since this is my first one, I do not have anything to measure it against, but I am pretty certain that I have gotten one great TV, especially for this price!



PS: I got an incredible cherry oak, three-shelf TV stand with black glass shelves from Target for $129.00. The TV looks gorgeous on this thing! Maybe you can find it through Amazon as they sell a lot of Target stuff here with free shipping. - 42 Inch - 720p - Best Value - Samsung'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Best Value - 42 inch, samsung samsung Best Value - 42 inch, samsung