Tuesday 13 September 2011

Indoor Antenna - tv antenna, hd antenna


I bought a Terk TV-55 antenna around a decade ago (still sold today), since it was one of the most expensive antennas around, and I was hoping there was something to it.



It worked, but I've never been convinced it does any better than more traditional antennas. It does do a better job since the digital transition, but I had to play with it's positioning quite a bit to get everything to come in.



Originally I figured I'd pick up another one of those, but when I saw this, I thought I might as well take a chance on a newer design.



Pulling it out of the box, it's amazing how small and light it is compared to my TV-55...it had me skeptical that it could really do as well.



Before hooking it up, I used the signal strength indicator on my Tivo HD to check how well each station was coming in, so that I could see if this antenna really did better or worse...



I swapped antennas, threw this FDTV1A on a chair near where I have my TV-55, and checked again. To my pleasant surprise, EVERY channel comes in stronger. Channels that were above 80% already are now maxed out at 100. Channels below that have all gained at least 10+ to 30 on the signal meter. I even seem to be able to pull in one station from another market decently that didn't come in at all on the TV-55.



And all that was without doing any more positioning than just throwing it on a chair next to my TV-55 (which is by an outside wall). (I should note that I have channels coming several different directions, so on my TV-55 it's challenging to find an orientation that gets all of them decently-this model really does seem to be omnidirectional, or at least far more so than a normal antenna).



So I'm very happy with this thing's performance so far, and would absolutely recommend it. For YEARS I've wondered why someone couldn't make a better antenna, with all the technology we have now...and it looks like they actually did.



The small size, and small AC adapter are nice too.



One note-if you're already getting channels in super strong, I've heard there's a chance that amplifying them may actually make them worse. I didn't have that happen in my situation at all. Even the channels that were already at 92 or 96 on my signal strength meter just bounced up to 100 without issue, but possibly some people might want to try it without plugging in the amplifier, if their signals are already super strong. Terk FDTV1A Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna (Black)

First some stats. I live about 45 miles from the primary source of all the local stations, in an apartment on the second floor, with a glass door to the balcony in the room with the TV. Also, the TV (and antenna) is in a recessed nook, with walls on three sides. I had been dealing with a boosted rabbit ear antenna setup from Radio Shack for the past 4 months. I could only reliably receive FOX, CBS, PBS, and the CW, and each of these required fiddling with the ears, circular antenna loop, and gain on the boost (too much or too little lost the signal). I could get other channels unpredictably and with a lot of work, and that was enough until I just got fed up with it all. Purchased three TERK antennas at Best Buy to try out, this one, the smaller version (FDTV2a), and a directional antenna (HDTVa).



All three completely blew the Radio Shack antenna out of the water, though they were very close to one another in terms of performance. This antenna was slightly more capable in receiving the weaker signals than the smaller version. While the HDTVa was the overall leader, the only one that picked up NBC while on top of the TV, it is on the large and cumbersome size, and takes up way too much space with the rabbit ears out (which were necessary for NBC). However, once optimally positioned, the FDTV1a picked up NBC and many others, and required NO adjustment.



I had to stand the antenna upright, next to the TV, and of course use the boost to get the best results. After a re-scan, I now get all of the channels I got before, all of the ones that were spotty, and a couple I didn't even know about, all with perfect clarity and sound, AND WITHOUT NEEDING ANY ADJUSTMENT. It also looks much more stylish than the rabbit ears I had before. I don't get ABC, and none of the TERK antennas were able to change that, but I am still thrilled with the results. I was seriously considering basic cable, and now I have no need for it.



Superb product. Excellent price here on Amazon. Highly recommend.

Bought to replace a pair of good old fashioned bunny ears for the DT converter box. It doesn't get any more channels than the bunny ears were able to pull in, but I've gone from repositioning the bunnies every time I change channels to only repositioning this antenna for the one channel whose tower is the opposite direction from all of the others (In North Tampa, everything but Channel 10 comes from the south, channel 10 comes from the north)



A definite improvement, but I wish I could get everything from the same position. - Hdtv Antenna - Tv Antenna - Hd Antenna - Hdtv'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Indoor Antenna - tv antenna, hd antenna hdtv antenna Indoor Antenna - tv antenna, hd antenna