Monday 29 August 2011

Dvd Recordable Drives - sata, dvd-rw


Installation was very easy, took less than 5 minutes to install in the computer. The software, Nero8, also installed quickly. I have not had a single failed DVD or CD burn yet with this drive; this is very impressive to me (I am using Verbatim media). The drive is quieter than most I have used.



If you want to use the LightScribe feature (and it does work very well), it will be necessary to download drivers from the LightScribe web site [...] in order for Nero 8 to recognize this feature. Lite-On LightScribe 24X SATA DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive IHAS424-98 - Retail (Black)

This is a great burner. Easy to install, easy to use, good included software (including Nero Express 9), all for a good price.



The only caveat is you can't put two in the same Windows computer. Windows can't recognize more than one of these. LiteOn is aware of the problem but does not have a fix as of this writing. Tech Support says they are working on a firmware upgrade but they don't know when it will be available.

This is the first LightScribe burner that I've owned (I've used about a dozen other non LightScribe burners in the past). I've used this new Lite-On LightScribe unit for reading CDs and DVDs (both +R and -R) without any issues. I've also burned both CDs (-R) and DVDs (-R and +R) with it without any issues. My system is a top end DELL XPS 9000, Win7 64bit Pro, and I didn't have any issues getting the burner to work in it. I bought HP branded "LightScribe" DVD media, and I was looking forward to burning some nice labels onto the top of my DVDs. My first attempts didn't turn out too well, the image and writing that I'd selected was too light, too hard to see once it was completed. I don't think this is an issue with the burner, or with the media, but with me and my lack of practice with selecting a good image that will burn dark enough to be easily seen. I know now (trial and error has taught me) to make sure the labels that I make need to have strong contrasting text and/or pictures, so that when burned onto the tops, they will be easily seen.



I'm giving this burner a 4 out of 5, because I wanted the LightScribe option to be more user friendly (maybe it's a software issue, maybe the laser is not strong enough, or maybe it's just me, but better software and/or a better laser would have protected me from myself, and then I would have given it a 5.

I replaced an existing IDE LITE-ON DVD drive with this one. It worked very well. It has more features and functions better than a 2-yr-old SATA SAMSUNG DVD drive in my computer. It came well packed and fully equiped with manual, mounting screws, a SATA signal cable, and NERO software; whereas the SAMSUNG purchased from CDW was an OEM item, did not come with even mounting screws, no cable, no manual, no software! The LITE-ON customer support was great. Initially my computer could not recognize it, when I kept the old IDE drive as a slave drive. I sent email to LITEON support, and they answered my email next day, and gave some suggestions. But I found out just removing the old IDE drive and IDE cable from the mother board solved the problem. Now this LITE-ON drive is SATA master, the SAMSUNG drive is SATA slave; they worked well. This is the latest model, manufactured in March 2010.

I have been using this drive for about six months now and I have to say that I am extremely pleased so far. I have used it to burn CD's and DVD's and even though I sometimes use what some may call "cheap media" I have had no problems at all. I have used the Lightscribe function on 6 or 7 discs for my nephew and niece and they really enjoy that, "these look way cooler then just a plain DVD" according to them. I wish that the 20 minute process there was a little faster, but hey, for $25 it still works great! I have actually recommended this item to friends and family members and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a reasonably priced DVD drive and burner :^)

This replaced a trusty Plextor PX-708A which survived at least three computer builds and burned and ripped hundreds of discs over the years. I wanted another Plextor but didn't realize how low prices have dropped for good quality optical drives. For 25 bucks, consistently good reviews inside and outside of Amazon, I gave this one a try. It's far too early to pass judgment about reliability but it is fast, quiet and seems to be very capable. I didn't load the supplied software as I have what I need and prefer. This one's a no-brainer - just buy it.

This is a bargain LightScribe drive. The media--the CDs and DVDs are not inexpensive, but you can shop for sales.

Remember, this is a SATA drive, so your computer needs to be a SATA-equipped computer. How do you know? Look at the manual, the sales literature, look online, check the front or rear of the computer to see if there is a rectangular female jack that says "eSata." This is for an external (or "e") SATA drive and assures you that you have a SATA drive.

SATA drives are several multiples faster than other connections, such as USB and are "hot-swappable," in the eSATA configuration.

If you're replacing an old SATA DVD drive, then you know you have the right replacement and you won't have any problems with connections. Simply remove the old one and replace it with the new one, noting where the connections go. Remember that the connections only go ONE WAY and are "keyed."

If you're adding a DVD, you need to open the case to see if you have an extra data port. Chances are, you don't, because manufacturers are not prone to build things with unused ports, but you can get around it--maybe.

Unplug the computer and the various connections and tape them together so you don't lose any.

Most cases have a sliding side on one side and a "sealed" side.

The sliding side usually has a hand-hold to tip you off that this is the one. Even if it doesn't, it is the side with the screws--two, three or four hex-screws. Remove them and keep them aside.

Pull on the hand hold and slide the side in the direction of the hand-hold. Voila!

Use this opportunity to vacuum out the computer, but don't touch any of the electronic parts as you don't want to dislodge them.

You'll see the power supply--a square or rectangular box--the power cord plugs into the outside of it. There will be many wires coming from it. Some end with a white, 4-prong connector and some with a few black edge connectors. The black edge connector is for the SATA power. Look where these go--likely your hard drive, CD and DVD. Is there an unused connection? Good. You'll use that to power the new DVD. No spare one? Are there spare, white 4-prong power connections coming form the power supply? Radio Shack sells a connection that leads from the white connection (a "Molex" connection) to a a SATA power connector. It is part # 278-030 and around $3. Once you get one, you have power to the new drive.

Is there a spare SATA data port? This is more of a problem. Each data port can only manage one device, so there isn't a splitter. You would have to add SATA ports, which is the subject of another story.

If you don't have a spare, you may, after all. Look to see if you have an eSATA port, usually on the front of the computer. The SATA data cables are usually red, and look like a thick telephone cord and are flat, with black rectangular connections.

This DVD drive comes with a spare data cable, so you can see what one looks like.

Unplug the cable leading from the eSATA jack to the port, at the port. Most connectors have a little metal lock on them. Press that as you are wiggling it out.

Plug in the new data cable into the port and insert the other end into the DVD by feeding the data cable through the square hole where the DVD will be put. Connect the power cord (which is next to the data connection, but bigger), again, while the DVD drive is outside the computer, feeding the power cord through the square hole.

Side in the new DVD, align the screw holes on the side. The DVD comes with 4 screws, but you only need 2 or 3 to have a good installation.

Button the case back up, replug your connections and power plug and turn it on.

The DVD will light up with a green light from time to time as the computer is powering up.

The drive comes with a CD with Nero software. You can use it if you like, but I prefer LightScribe Toolbox, available online rather inexpensively. The toolbox will "find" the DVD and you're good to go. There is no need to add drivers. I'm using Windows 7.

Like ALL LightScribe, this one is painfully slow burning the design--at least, in the "best" mode. Faster, you have a light image.

Just plan on it and do something else while it is "cooking."

This DVD is quiet and does a nice job for a good price. The instruction manual is, well, brief, hence this long-winded review. - Sata - Dvd Burner - Dvd-rw - Dvd Recordable Drives'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information