Wednesday 6 April 2011

Uv Filter - uv light, ponds


This clarifier cleared up the water in my 50 gal pond in just a couple days. Continued to work great for just over 30 days when the bulb went out. Couldn't return it to Amazon because it was over 30 days but a quick call to Sunterra resolved the issue with a replacement bulb. Sunterra customer service was very pleasant and efficient. Sunterra 334018 18-Watt UV Clarifier

I have a small leak where the power cord comes out, but I'm working with Sunterra to see what I can do about it. Otherwise, my 125 gallon pond is getting clearer after a week. I can't see the bottom yet, but I'm hopeful. I had to play around a bit with the water flow to make sure that it was going through at a fast enough rate, but slow enough to sterilize. I've also been gently rinsing the filter daily. One word of advise if you have a small pond - an automotive heating hose works great. It was the right size for the filter and the clarifier (which were both different sizes - it stretches) and has a stronger flow and a tighter seal (even without the hose clamps) than a regular pond hose. They're also only about 6 bucks for six feet.



Well, it's been about a month since the first paragraph. The light box blew out and it stopped working. I sent a copy of my receipt to Sunterra, as they requested, but haven't gotten an answer yet. I'm probably going to buy the fish mate filter/uv combo and cut my losses.

I heartily agree with other reviewers about how great this product is, and wanted to add one note: if you install it in the daytime (especially a sunny or bright day), it's very hard to see the UV lamp come on through the "test" window. Wait until it's darker to check if it's shining (it's like a pale blue light). Also, if you take the lamp out of the casing and try to turn it on, it won't - since the UV light is harmful there is an auto switch off when removed from the casing.



UPDATE: The light does what it says it will but a caveat to those who are just getting into ponding: A UV light does not really solve algae problems (especially string algae), you need plants (to compete with the algae for food) and some barley straw/biological additive for that. Also, anything small enough to pass through the UV light (including fish fry and beneficial bacteria) will get zapped by the light.

I bought this item for a fish pond that kept getting green water.

the item works great the water got clear within a few days.

theproblem is the blud does not last it stopped working withern a month,i repurchased a new item and the bulb lasted three weeks

All I can say is wow. My pond water was so dark green that I couldn't see the bottom at all. Had a hard time choosing between the pondmaster 10-watt and the Sunterra 18-Watt UV Clarifier, but it eventually came down to price. I got the sunterra and let me tell you that in about five days my water was clear. It was amazing I could see the bottom and everthing in the pond. One thing they don't tell you though is that its best to slow the water flow through the uv clarifier so that the alae can get more exposed to the uv light. I would say about a second. Great product though.

Looks like this design is much better than the one I bought 4 years ago-called Garden Treasures then. Ballast is now separate (not shown-but 10 feet away). Bulb is now "locked" into its socket and has a support on the loose end in the glass chamber. Water connections are almost the same, so I didn't need to change the plumming. Previously purchased spare bulb is the same.

I use this on a 20 gallon planted aquarium. It's total overkill, and that's how I like it. I chose this one because it's cheaper, and the replacement bulbs are cheaper than the daintier aquarium types. I only run it at night because it breaks down iron and other trace metals which the plants use during the day. You also have to make sure that your iron levels aren't too high (>.1ppm) before turning it on or the fish will get a toxic dose of the freed iron.

Other than that, minimum hose diameter is 3/4", so I had to adapt down to 5/8". And the ballast is as large as the unit itself, something to know if you like to hide your equipment.

Definitely recommended.

This works. I have about a 200 gallon pond and it took the light about three days to clear the water enough to see the bottom very well. It would probably take other people less time because my algae growth was very high, like if I took a drinking glass I would not be able to see through it.



Good price, I saw a smaller version of this one at Home Depot for the same price. - Ponds - Awesome - Uv Light'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information