Wednesday 6 April 2011

Polar Rs300x - cycling, heart rate monitor


The specs of the watch are really good, but it is when you start using it that one realizes that the Timex Global Trainer does not perform to expectations.



Firstly, the GPS in the watch, although it uses the same chip as that of the Garmin Forerunner, the performance in the Timex Global Trainer is extremely inaccurate. i.e. it takes an average of 5-7min to lock the satellites, unlike other devices, which can lock satellites in matter of seconds. Also, once a session is recorded and loaded onto a map (such as Google Maps), one can appreciate that the tracking of the device is very inaccurate. I have seen distance reading erros of up to 12% (e.g. you run 10miles and the watch says you have run 8.8miles!!) , which is very very bad. Other GPS watches only have a 2% error max accuracy (i.e. Garmin). I have checked this issue on the internet and other user reviews on Timex's Global Trainer GPS show this same issue. I have sent the watch to Timex, got it replaced for a new one, and the same issue persists. Timex hasn't got a solution to this.



Secondly, the workout data downloaded from the watch to the PC is proprietary and can only be used on the TrainingPeaks website. Forget about exporting you data to other better and cheaper websites such as MapMyRun or WorkOutLog. This wouldn't be a problem if TrainingPeaks had a good system, but it is slow and in many occasions it won't load 100% of the workout information (plenty of software improvement is needed on their side). TrainingPeaks has a cost of c. $20/month, while other websites only cost $20/year. The Free version of TrainingPeaks won't show you all of the information from your watch (e.g. HR zones, Cadence Zones, Power Zones, etc).



Conclusion: The GPS is a no go. On a spec basis the watch is not that expensive against competitors but if you include the cost of the software to visualize your workouts you need to add $+120/year, and thats another no go. I have bought the Garmin Forerunner 310xt, Garmin is better value for money and you are not stuck with proprietary software that doesn't work! Timex Global Trainer Speed and Distance GPS Watch

I have a Garmin 405 which is not waterproof... I wanted something I could use for the entire triathlon... this one is waterproof but will not provide data on the swim... things I did not care for...



1. Took FOREVER to acquire signal... downloaded new firmware.. still takes minutes to acquire!

2. HUGE... this thing is HUGE... not heavy but HUGE!

3. Training Peaks software not as user friendly as I am used to... costs $$ for access to all the features.

4. None of my logs are Timex compatible so uploading requires manual insertion of data... BAD!

5. You may be able to have 4 fields of data visible at once but it is nearly impossible to read it while running because it is so small.

6. Glare based on angle makes reading watch difficult!



I was happy to go back to my Garmin... this thing was just not for me!

Like what the others have said, there are a lot of negative things that can be said of this watch. One is the slow acquisition of a GPS signal. I have the Garmin 350 and it acquires satellites faster by 1 to 2 minutes. The other one is the proprietrary software, trainingpeaks. I wish they'd just offer this for free.



It is HUGE and I like it that way. ;) I wear the watch to the office and people always look at it. If you have it set to TIME only it can last 2 weeks without charging.



Oh, and another gripe, for some reason the clasp/buckle of the watch rubs on my wrists, which can be inconvenient to slightly painful after awhile.



I also use the heart rate monitor that came with my Garmin 305 on this watch and it works fine.

I'm sending this watch back for several reasons. Here they are:



1. GPS Accuracy - It's not that great. When I run on the track I always run in the outside lane. However, this watch has me anywhere from the soccer goals in the infield to the street beyond the bleachers. When I'm running through town, there are times it's half a block off. From the map created with the GPS data, I couldn't tell if I was running on the street or in an alley. I don't expect a GPS watch to pinpoint my location exactly, but this was totally unacceptable.



Also, it takes forever to acquire a signal. Sometimes I'll be in my front yard for 5 minutes waiting for a signal. It's frustrating to be ready to run & have to wait. Once it locks on though, it doesn't drop it.



2. The Software - You must use this watch with TrainingPeaks ([...]) software. It's OK, but there are tons of other options out there. Being tied to one vendor is a recipe for disaster. TrainingPeaks is OK, but the really good stuff requires a paid membership. Not cool Timex.



3. It only records data every 2 seconds. Garmin watches record every second.



4. The elevation feature is a joke. There's a 5k route I take around town. I start/stop at my house, so the elevation gain/loss should be even. Nope, not according to Timex. Sometimes I gain hundreds of feet, sometimes I lose hundreds of feet. It's never the same, or even close.



5. Can't use a Foot Pod (or similar device)with it. No treadmill running during the winter.



Some good things...



I have a feeling a lot of this will be fixed in firmware updates (I'm running the latest firmware), but I'm not going to suffer through it. The watch it very sturdy; I never worried about hurting it. Also, it's more customizable then any watch I've ever used. - great for the geek in me.



Perhaps in 6 months or a year this watch will kick ass. However, as for right now, I ordered a Garmin Forerunner 310XT. - Timex - Cycling - Heart Rate Monitor - Running'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information