Monday 18 April 2011

Sony Mp3 Player - sony mp3, sony walkman


When searching for a new mp3 player the trail always leads me back to Sony. Its more about overall quality then brand loyalty. Over the years Sony's Walkman line has gone the distance and more. The all new Sony S Series Walkman adds to the legacy.



The S-540 8gb Walkman brings it on with a crisp, color enhanced 2.4" LCD screen that is easy on the eyes. At 2" x 4" x .4", it comes in a bit larger then its older cousin. A larger body undoubtedly is required to provide support for the external speaker system. The speakers won't get confused with my home system anytime soon but they do provide an excellent source. With headphones on, this mp3 player delivers a cornucopia of sound. Missing but not that noticeable is the noise reduction feature. The on board equalizer can be tweaked to one's own preferences or users can choose one of the six presets.



The Navigation pad located directly under the screen is a breeze to operate. Three controls are located on the right side of the unit. One locks in the controls. The second one allows for easy switching from speaker to headset. Volume is the third control. The standard headphone jack and a USB port can be found on the bottom of the unit. The detachable flip out stand is an okay feature that allows for easy standing on my desk or shelf top. I would have preferred that it was permanently mounted.



The S-540 supports mp3, mp4, AAC, AVC, WMV, WMA, and PCM. PCM is Sony's version of WAV. It pairs well with Napster. Rhapsody is a no go. Downloading my playlists from Windows Media Player was a breeze without the usual hiccups associated with older mp3 players. I did download a couple of photographs on this model. The display was outstanding. Unlike my older Walkman, this model doesn't offer the wallpaper photo display option.



The built in FM tuner picked up all ten of my stations. With auto scanner functionality, thirty preset slots are available. The FM radio is crystal clear when using the headset as an antenna. The alarm and timer features are a nice addition. This model also has an impressive on board microphone located on the bottom of the unit. There are three voice settings. Voice playback quality was excellent. Battery life has always been biggie with Sony. On a full charge, I got almost a full thirty five hours of music.



This Sony mp3 player comes packaged with a USB cable, flip stand, ear buds, installed operating manual, and the standard one year warranty. Body finishes for the 8GB model include; black, red, pink and violet. The 16GB unit comes in a black or red body.



Economically priced, this latest edition to the Walkman line is a durable and reliable product that simply delivers. Easy to use and loaded with features, the Sony S-540 is a prime time performer. Sony Walkman S-544 Series 8 GB Video MP3 Player (Black)

I like this device, but everyone should know what's in the EULA (End User License Agreement). Under the heading SOFTWARE DATA COLLECTION AND MONITORING is "The SOFTWARE contains features which may allow SONY and/or third parties to collect data from, control and/or monitor computers and devices running or interacting with the SOFTWARE. You hereby consent to such activities."

When installing the software the option to agree or disagree with the EULA appears. I disagreed and canceled the software installation. I can still use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop files. I thought by not agreeing with the EULA (and thus not installing the software) I lost the ability to convert video files but the option appears each time I transfer such files. It must be inherent in the player. See below for more.



Other reviewers say that the screen scratches easily. The player doesn't come with a case cover and I didn't want to pay $20 for one so I bought a pack of WriteRight Static Cling Screen Protectors and cut one out to perfect screen size. Body Glove WriteRight Universal e-Reader Static Cling Screen Protector, 2 Pack (9202401) I can get 4 total but the first one I put on is holding firm.



I do like this player for playing audio. The screen is easy to see even in daylight and the player is really easy to navigate. Audio sounds good and video and pictures look good, too, but if you're buying this primarily to watch videos be aware that it's like watching them on the screen of a typical digital camera. I bought this mainly for playing mp3 audio but thought it would be worth a few extra dollars for the ability to view pictures and video clips. After using this myself and watching other people squint to see my pics & vids I don't exactly regret buying this, it's still a great mp3 player, though the screen is better suited to menu functions & navigating than it is video viewing.



At first the pictures and video are oriented vertically so they look too small but there are options to orient video and pictures horizontally so that they fill the screen.



As I said above even if you don't agree with the EULA and don't install the Sony software you can still drag and drop files. When I connect the player to my Windows 7 computer Windows Explorer automatically appears. What's really great is when transferring video files to the Walkman the option to convert them pops up; click on Convert and Copy and within a few seconds it's done. AVI files convert to WMV. Even files that are already WMV for some reason need to be converted; if I choose not to convert them they don't show up on the player.



Update on the battery: after a full recharge I can listen to music for many hours though not near the 42-hour claim. Still, I am impressed with the battery life (so far).



Made in China. - 8gb Mp3 Player - Sony Mp3 - Sony Mp3 Player - Sony Walkman'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


8gb mp3 player Sony Mp3 Player - sony mp3, sony walkman