Friday 18 March 2011

Exercise - exercise, fitness


I used to have ankle weights with iron bars in them, the iron bars hurt my ankles and so when they wore out I got Valeo Adjustable Ankle/Wrist Weights, 20 lb. Combined Weight, Pair.



They wore out in 14 months.



I just got these weights, so it's an initial impression, but:



1. Easier to put on and take off with a single buckle instead of the dual D-rings of the Valeo weights.



2. Coarser nylon material than the Valeo weights. Hope it will last longer. The extra friction helps prevent sliding, though not quite as comfortable against the skin. (Not slipping much more important than the feel against the skin, I think.



3. For whatever reason, the Valeo weights pressed against my malleoli (bumps on the inside and outside of the ankle) and after an hour or two the pressure there was quite uncomfortable. I'm not getting that with these weights. Altus Athletic 20-Pound Standard Ankle / Wrist Weights

These weights work well for leg extensions and other stationary exercises, but they would not stay put well enough for walking or running. I like the fact that they are adjustable up to 10 lb per weight.

First let me say these ankle/wrist weights are nice. The construction seems to be pretty good. The weights are sand bags, and the platic is thick, so you shouldn't have any leak issues unless you're throwing the weights around haphazardly.



So, what cost them the star? They're loose with low weight. Let me explain. I decided to start out with just two pounds (one bag). I'm a skinny guy. Even with the straps pulled as far they can go, there was still a lot of play. I'm using them for leg lifts, so it's not an issue for me, but it would be rather annoying if you were using them while running. Now, as you add weights, they take up the slack. With eight or ten pounds (four or five bags) in these, they are fine. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking to start out with low weight and do things involving a lot of movement.

The picture on the box and displayed on Amazon makes these looks much slimmer and shorter than they actually are. In reality, these go almost all the way to my elbow (I'm a man, and my arms aren't short by any stretch) and they bulk out a fair distance from your arm. Someone else noted that these were kind of loose, but I didn't heed his warning because he added the modifier "for a skinny guy". I weight train quite frequently (I bought these to go with a 40lbs weight vest) and my arms aren't skinny by any means. Even though my arms are plenty large, these weights will not stay on my wrists during exercises that require movement. At the same time that these are a little bit too large for my wrists, they are a little too small for my ankles. They'll stay on, but they are so tight that it is difficult to jog with them. As for the build quality, it seems fine, and I can't imagine this thing coming apart any time soon (it is sand bags inside what I'd imagine is nylon fabric, with velcro straps. I don't detect any sand leakage, and the bags fit inside the straps securely)



I'd send these back, but they do have their function as weights to be used in stationary exercises. This means leg lifts, arm curls, etc. All things considered, I think the weighted vests are a better buy for anyone that is serious about training with weights. While they are more expensive, they stay on much more securely, and working out with them on is much easier. If nothing else, I can throw these weights in a backpack and add twenty pounds to the forty in the vest whenever forty becomes too little weight for me.

These came exactly as expected, heavy. Each one is an adjustable up to 10 Lbs of weight. The ONLY draw back on this one that kept it from being a 5 stars is the fact that it doesn't fit on your arms "properly" unless your arms are as thick as your legs. It doesn't slide too much but it's enough to be a slight bother.

I needed a set of ankle weights that were adjustable so I could gradually move up over the 10 lb pair for certain exercises. These really fit the bill and are well made. The fit is a little big with only 6lbs on each leg to start with, but not so big that sliding around is a problem. I would certainly recommend them!

These are the first wrist/ankle weights I have purchased in about 15 years. I wanted something easy and rugged to use. Why buy it, if it is just going to fall apart right away. I was pretty happy with the ease of adjustment where the sandbags are concerned. I started out with about four pounds and worked my way up to the full ten in about three weeks.



I use them to build arm strength. They wrap around the wrist comfortably and stay put. I did not have them sliding down the arms. the Velcro seems pretty heavy duty and doesn't seem to be wearing down much ( I use these daily) from the use they get.



As far as toughness in materials, they stand up to my obnoxious cat who likes to claw everything. I haven't had a leaking sand bag yet! The outer wrap material is doing fine as well.



As these have worked out pretty well I may actually buy another set for the ankles or to strap together on the current pair to add more weight. I have done this with the current pair. the straps seem to support the full twenty pounds with no trouble.



for the price they are an excellent product

I had a pair of ankle weights (5 lb each) I got from Wal-Mart about a year ago ... they were not well made with only 1 strap to wrap around the ankle and it was not a durable material. They were always sliding and moving and I also developed a leak.



Thus, I began my search for a high quality 10 lb per ankly weight system and these looked to be much better quality and felt like much better quality upon initial inspection. However, the stiching on one strap on one leg gave way the first day I used them. Thinking about it, it would seem this could be a recurring problem since 10 lb each ankle is a pretty good amount that could stress stiching.



I returned them yesterday and will continue my search for a very well made 10 lb per ankle weight. Perhaps I just got a lemon. - Fitness - Exercise - Wrist Weights - Adjustable Ankle Weights'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Exercise - exercise, fitness exercise Exercise - exercise, fitness