Friday 18 March 2011

42 Inch - 1080p, hdtv


This isn't a horrible TV by any means, picture is decent, and everything works as it should. However... for an $580 TV I have found quite a few things I am very unhappy with, that I didn't really consider before buying.

-the TruSound feature had to be turned off within the first two hours... horrible volume fluctuation at the wrong times...

-from the time you push the power button expect about 15 seconds before you see a picture (seriously I counted)

-once the picture is up...expect another 2-3 seconds for any sound

-the same is true for changing channels, NO QUICK SCANNING, its takes about 7 second start to finish one channel to the next, after you enter the channel about 5 second before it turns, then another second or 2 before there is a picture, and yet another couple seconds before there is any sound. **THIS SEEMS LIKE AN ETERNITY WHEN YOU ARE SWITCHING BETWEEN CHANNELS OR SURFING.

-my other complaint is the volume control... there needs to be at least three more volume numbers between one and 5. One is able to be heard easily from the next room. TWO is already almost too loud if your the only activity in the house. 3,4, and 5 show very little fluctuation in sound, which I wish was the case for 0-3! VIZIO E420VA 42-Inch Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV, Black

I am not a videophile and have pretty basic viewing criteria.



I did a fair amount of research but realized that most of what people were discussing on the forums would be meaningless to me when I got the television home. I looked at televisions in person -- again, to my "untutored" eyes they all looked pretty much the same to me except for one house brand at Best Buys which truly did have an inferior picture even to my non-discerning eyes.



I haven't noticed any sound discrepancy but then I can't remember the last time I actually watched a commercial since I watch everything through TIVO and fast forward through all the crap.



I also don't notice much of a time lag between changing channels and I think any delay is probably relating to a cable box since this changes at the exact speed as my prior set.



It does take about 10 seconds to warm up but that's hardly a huge issue in my life and I don't know whether other LCD sets have the same start up rates.



The set was quite a bit cheaper than an equivalent set bought elsewhere - free scheduled delivery - the guy did attach the stand and turn it on but it was up to me to set up the rest which was fine. Delivery from Best Buy was quoted at $75.



Vizio seems to be relatively reliable and reliability is somewhat of a crapshoot anyway since my highly rated SONY only lasted 5 years. Given the price differential between this set and its competitors, I'm sure I will be fine with my amortized usage.



It's 60 mz - After researching I determined that my viewing habits had no need for 120 since I don't watch sports. Sound is no better or worse than any television and I might see if I can hook it up to my unused BOSE CD player.

I have to say, I am very pleased with my purchase. I do however agree with the previous poster. The sound fluctuation can be a bit annoying between commercials, inputs, and channels. My last TV did this, so it doesn't bother me too much. Also, there is no sound delay (picture and audio not matching) this was a big concern for me, I have a friend with a 52" Sony Bravia and another with a 47" LG that both are slightly off. For a 42" 1080p less than $600 I couldn't pass this up.



I would recommend if you don't mind changing the volume from time to time.

I got this for Black Friday at Sams Club and this is an excellent TV.



*HD picture is one of the best I have seen

*Easy to use menu system

*Good speakers



The only bad thing I have noticed is the TruSound which I turned off. It tries to increase volume and decrease volume depending on what is going on in the show or movie, overall it was too annoying and once turned off it helped a lot. The actual speaker quality is one of the best I have heard without external speakers.



I gave this a 5/5 because the TruSound volume feature is easily disabled, therefor, should not affect the rating.

The picture quality on this Vizio is fantastic - and I have another 1080 HD set I am comparing it with. I also have no problem watching football and even hockey with 60 Hz performance as found on this TV. We did experience the sound fluctuation problems reported by others, but this was resolved by turning OFF the sound "enhancement" features in the on screen menu. I highly recommend this set.

Love the TV. Only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have audio out connector, to hear the TV tuner sound through my surround sound system. The HDMI port works great when playing DVD's, but no audio out for regular TV signal. - 120 Hz Refresh Rate - 42 Inch - Hdtv - 1080p'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


42 Inch - 1080p, hdtv 1080p 42 Inch - 1080p, hdtv