Wednesday 5 October 2011

Electronics - ipod, apple


The updated iPod Classic was probably the least exciting of the new iPods announced in the September 2008 update, but that does not mean it should be dismissed.



I own the 160 GB iPod Classic that has now been discontinued, but there are few differences (perhaps the biggest being the much slimmer shape of this 120 model), and I did get to check this updated 120 GB version out at the store, when picking up the new nano and touch.



Firstly, the 120 GB version is again smaller than the largest capacity available last year, but it is a single platter hard drive, which allows it to maintain the slim shape of the 80 GB version from last year. More storage, a hundred dollars less, and just as small. That is progress despite calls from others that the classic isn't exciting. It still serves its purpose as the original iPod idea. Big capacity in a simple to use device.



Next, the software has been slightly updated on the iPod Classic. It now includes Genius, like iTunes and the other new iPods. This allows you, when on a song you enjoy, to select the genius feature. The iPod will then compile a list of songs (playlist), which goes together with the original song you were listening to. This helps you rediscover music in your library, with a playlist to fit your mood at the time. I have been using the genius feature for a few days now, and it is impressive the way it compiles these playlists. I was skeptical, but overall, it does a good job. Furthermore, as another review mentioned, the iPod does seem more responsive with this update from what I saw at the store compared to my original 160 GB iPod Classic. Some speculation has been that the older iPod Classics will receive the software update of this new one, but I'm not holding my breath on that.



Overall, the original iPod concept was so good, and that is why the iPod Classic is still a solid choice for a music and media player. It will hold thousands and thousands of songs (up to 30,000 according to Apple at 128 bitrate). I also backup some important files to my iPod Classic, in disk mode, so that I have that additional extra copy of my most vital files. When you have such a large iPod, you can do that. It shouldn't be forgotten either that while the display of the iPod Classic isn't as good as the iPod Touch or iPhone, it is still quite good and you can play music videos, TV shows, and movies purchased on the iTunes Store.



Battery life for this new 120 GB model improved over the 80GB model from last year. Apple now estimates it at 36 hours audio and 6 hours video.



I'd recommend the iPod Classic without hesitation, to those who have more than 8 or 16 GBs of music in their iTunes library and want to carry their entire collection. Furthermore, if you have videos and video podcasts you want to always carry with you, again, you can't beat the storage. I have the lower capacity flash devices as well, but the big hard drive based iPod Classic continues to play an important role in my iPod Collection. Apple iPod classic 120 GB Black (6th Generation) [Previous Model]

Well, I bought two of these. No, don't ask me why. Please just believe that I purchased two new 7th generation iPods - against the advice of the reviewer who obviously did some homework as to why the old units sound better, I might add. I looked at many forums and read from many people who think the new iPods, (6th generation and later,) have a poorer sound quality than their predecessors. Then I read from those folks who believe that yes, Apple changed the audio codec chip, and yes, several audiophiles have done some qualitative testing and the old units won, but nevertheless, the difference should be impossible to hear with the naked ear. Let me just assure you right now, it is not. The difference in sound quality between my wife's 5.5 gen 80 gig iPod and my two new 120 gig units is vast. Using the same headphones and songs, downloaded from the same computer, the new iPod sounds like listening to music played inside a tin can compared to the old one. For instance, in one song a drummer rakes his hand across some chimes and on the 80 gig, the chimes are crystal, distinct, and separate from all the other things going on at the time. On the new 120 gig at the same spot, the highs are all compressed into a jumble of noise with flat, tinny, cut off sounds. The chimes sound far off and suppressed. The list of music defacement goes on. I noticed this problem across all tonal ranges. So what did I do? I opened a case with Apple and made an appointment at the nearby Apple store. Yes, I lugged in my laptop and two of the iPods. At the store I synced one of their units to the same song and we went through all three iPods, my one new unit, my one old unit, and the store unit, listening to the same 30 or so seconds of song on each iPod over and over. And over. The results were clear... much clearer than the sound from the new iPods, I'm sorry to say. At the store I also inquired about the noticeable lag when starting songs on the new unit. I was told, "It's much more complicated software." Obviously the ability to view the album covers has won out over quality sound. So I'm returning the two 120 gig iPods. Apple is getting them back. Good riddance. Perhaps Apple has forgotten that people buy iPods for entertainment's sake. Music and movies. I hope this helps them to remember that people buy music playing devices to actually listen to music. Now, I've read from the reviewers who suggest that we who want good sound from portable music devices should just get over it. Well, I say blah! Blah on them all! I assert that Apple should be improving sound with new generations of devices. If they want my money that's what they will have to do. I don't believe it's unreasonable to expect newer models of expensive electronic devices to outperform old ones. As for sound quality, the older iPod puts forth very adequate sound. Certainly it could have been improved upon, or at the very least left alone. In fact, how dare the naysayers suggest that we all settle for poor sound? That we should expect poor sound? I say my money goes to the company willing to aim for high fidelity from its music devices. That won't be Apple for the nonce. If all you want is an expensive portable hard drive with a video screen, this is definitely the unit for you. - Ipod - Apple - Ipods - Ipod 120gb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information