Friday 15 April 2011

Mustache Trimmer - trimmer, beard trimmer


Some reviewers harshly criticize this product and if I'd read their reviews before buying the Wahl 817 I probably wouldn't have purchased it. But my experience with the Wahl 817 beard and moustache trimmer over the past eight months - from initial trimming of a new beard to preparing to shave it off for the summer - has been quite positive.



The basic trimming functions work well. Just the basic adjustable beard thinning head and the straight trimming edge without any plastic head attached has met all my needs. A plus is that the batteries hold their charge a long time which allows the trimmer to be taken on trips without the hassle of carrying - and potentially losing - the recharging device.



Some people complain the plastic attachments are difficult to put on and remove and break easily. Take it easy and be patient. They will loosen up a bit and none of mine have broken in almost a year. There probably are too many attachments. But so what? Just use the ones you need.



The only shortcoming with this trimmer in my experience so far is that the instructions don't provide examples or directions for using the various attachments and their intended use is unclear to me. But, again, most guys probably will just use the basic head to thin beard growth and the cutting edge to keep their moustache edge neat.



Recommended to anyone who wants an inexpensive, basic, reliable beard trimmer that holds a battery charge well.

This trimmer is nice and gives a nice cut. I mostly use the pre-installed adjustable guard, so I cannot say how well the other attachments work. For the way I use this trimmer, it works great.



The battery life is great also. I use the trimmer on my beard 1-2 times per week. I have had the unit for three months and have only recharged it once so far. My old Conair unit required a recharge every week or two.



The safety button on the on/off switch is a nice feature if this ends up in the hands of a little one.



The plastic stand is a little cheap. I keep my trimmer in the cabinet, but personally it is not something I would want to look at every day. This does not take away from the performance of the trimmer, so I cannot lower my rate because of this.



Other units have a nicer base. My old unit required the base for recharging which was extra item to bring when traveling for long periods of time. With the undependable charge length, I did bring it with a few times. This unit only has a plug which is not tied to the base.

I have had either a beard or goatee for the last 28 years, and for most of this time I owned a Wahl trimmer. My first Wahl lasted 10 years, my second Wahl lasted for 8 years. I took a 3 year break using a Norelco (which was a Christmas gift), however, I was never satisfied with the cut at longer settings. I ultimately went back to various Wahl trimmers, yet they all gave out (battery, motor, etc) in less than 2 years.



Deciding to give Wahl one last chance. I purchased the "All-in-One Trimmer Kit," given that it had a 5-year warranty. The battery quit recharging after the 3rd month, and Wahl's position was since I failed to keep my receipt, there was no warranty coverage. Please note that my failure to keep the receipt was definitely my fault. However, I can say, through personal experience, that Wahl's quality and performance has SIGNIFICANTLY declined over the years (based on my last four purchases), and this was the last Wahl trimmer that I will ever own. If you cannot purchase any other trimmer but a Wahl, my advice is that you hold fast to your receipt...because I fear you will need it sooner rather than later. If any other option is available to you, I would strongly urge you to consider it, rather than purchasing a Wahl.

I have to say i am disappointed, Having used a trimmer from wahl with same model number 9916, which i felt gave me a good trim, i immediately sought out to buy same model off amazon.



the one i received was much cheaper in quality. The plastic guide IS cheap junk which felt like it would break eventually, which it did within 3 weeks from being dropped. The guide shattered. There is no replacement for the 5-position guide for the 9916 I can find.



Now i am torn between buying another of these and treating it like a precious heirloom, or finding a razor that can survive real world use.



On the plus side, the battery life on this razor is incredible.

Excennent Trimmer, i use it for mustache & hair trimming, thid is my second one, i tried others, and this one has the best Blade, the Batteries went bad in the first one, i kept the Blade for a back up.

I use this trimmer without the guides to bring my beard down to use a razor. I've tried other brands only to return them becuase they simply wont get as close. The precision is that good. Keep your receipt, however, my blades dulled in under a year using it about every two weeks. I do however replace the guide to protect the blades when not in use. the removal of the guides are difficult but became simpler with more use. I've read complaints of them being too cheap, but if they were sturdier (thicker) they would not work as well. It just takes a little patience for the first few uses.



I was interested in this trimmer because it has blades you can replace instead of purchasing a new trimmer when it becomes dull. When it came time to replace them however the cost averaged around $18 (with S/H) for new blades. Target (as of Aug 20, 2006) has this exact razor (complete set) for $17.99 in the store. Tax is usually less than S/H, so be cautious of the prices you find!! - Clippers - Mens Grooming - Beard Trimmer - Trimmer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information