Wednesday 16 February 2011

Video Production - audio, video production


This is a great router. I paid much more for it than what is offered for today (only $21 for a refurb!), 5 times to be exact, but I would pay full price again if I had to for this excellent router. It is nearly as plug-and-play as you can get with a router that sets up security and has easy access for you and any guests you want to add. I had heard from others how wonderful it was and am not to be disappointed. Recently I bought a new computer and had some setting it up as I had some issues with my Internet provider, but Cisco's customer service was fast and fixed the minor issue within just a few minutes. Once you set the router up to on your computer you will use a USB "key" that programs any satellite devices to work with the router. Voila! You are connected. You can tell the router how many devices you want it to connect to to reduce the risk of unwanted intrusion. It sets up a unique password for your router system, gives it a name (which you can alter if you want), secure passwords, and secure lines. Cisco Valet M10 Wireless BroadBand Router 54Mbps 802.11N M10-RM *Refurbished*

I got this router to use more as an extender and access point. It functions very easily and took literally 2 minutes to set up. Opened the box, and I thought it was brand new. Had a plastic wrap on top of the unit and everything.



Now here is my problem with the router:

1) The signal will literally disappear if I move about 15 feet away. I checked other reviews for the non refurbished one and it seems like this is a common issue

2)The unit gets super hot after staying on for only about 15 minutes.



I definitely recommend shopping around some more if you need a router that provides a signal more than 15 feet. Possibly, my unit is refurbished and therefore does not work as well, but due to other reviewers comments, I think it is just due to the fact that this router kind of sucks.

I purchased a NEW (not refurbished) Cisco Valet M10 back in February, and I love this router so much I purchased this refurbished model to keep on hand in case the new router ever conks out. I decided to go ahead and hook this one up to make sure everything was in order before my 30 day window for returns was up.Honestly, I can't tell this router isn't brand-new. Not a scratch on it, wrapped in cellophane, and includes the set-up key and blue cable you run between the Valet and your PC. I had this up and running in under 5 minutes. No problems at all with my desktop PC running Vista Home Premium. I use the wireless connection for my Asus netbook using Windows 7 Starter and an Android tablet that I take outside to use on the deck.This refurbished model is getting the same range - about 40 feet (from a bedroom where the Valet is, to outdoors on the deck), that's enough for me. No dropped signals, using WPA2 security, with the signal nothing less than 4 bars out of 5. I've also been using this indoors with my netbook in the kitchen, and even though this is 2.4 Ghz, the microwave and cordless phone being nearby are not affecting it.NOTE: From reading other reviews on this, maybe I lucked out in getting the correct Valet set-up key with mine. All I know is I had zero problems setting this up.

This reconditioned Valet arrived with zero instructions. My search led me to several YouTube videos that show how easy it is to set the Valet up. Unfortunately, my first attempt to set up the Valet router failed because the software provided on the USB key was for a different product (the Cisco "Connector"). I then searched for Cisco Valet, and easily found a support download page, but I couldn't select the needed software because I first had to specify whether I had Version 1 or Version 2. Also on that page was a link to a support chat session, so I tried that. The person on that chat line was knowledgeable and helpful. She told me that the M-10 Valet is Version 1 unless it says Version 2 on the back. She pointed me to the correct software and told me to save it to the computer because the computer would save it to the USB stick with the proper settings after I completed setup. With the correct software, the setup proceeded flawlessly, and it gave a great wireless connection at close range. I will try testing the range limits later, but for now I am happy that it worked OK at the close range of a few feet. There is also a firmware upgrade available on the Cisco Valet support page, but I will pass on that unless I run into problems later. The Valet manual (also downloaded from the Cisco support page) says I can disable the SSID Broadcast (for better security), but I have not yet found the way to do that.



Overall, this router lives up to its promise of easy setup (once you get the correct software), and I am happy with it.

Wanted to replace and old G speed router and get myself up to N. This was on sale so I made the leap. It comes with a usb drive that is supposed to set it up for you. I own a mac and it didint work- so it says t call Cisco to help setup. That took about 20 minutes (the tech support asks you a bunch of demographic data mining questions before he gets around to solving your problem). What I didnt realize was that I could have done it myself using the old 192.168.1 etc. address in the router. Ultimately thats what I did, got the network secured and router is running great.

I was fortunate enough to get a HP Touchpad. However, the Touchpad required a wireless connection. But, I did not have a wireless network in my home. I was told by friends and store clerks that setting up a wireless network was somewhat complicated. My "deal" was beginning to sound less and less like a deal when I realized that I was probably going to have to call in some kind of Squad to set up a wireless network at the cost of over $140.00. Therefore, I decided to spend as little as possible on a router in the hopes of seeing if I could do it myself. In TEN minutes---five of which were spent with the Valet doing its thing, I was up and running. I later had my daughter bring her laptop over---and sure enough, my network was locked and secured and available to my Touchpad.I allowed her access as a guest. Everything working exactly like it is supposed to. A great investment of twenty bucks! - Audio - Video Production - Digital Camera'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Video Production - audio, video production audio Video Production - audio, video production