Wednesday 16 February 2011

Power Converters - military, power converters


I purchased this to use certain small electrical devices that I brought from the UK to use in Barbados. It works exactly as I hoped/expected it to work. Very simple to use and small enough to take with me if I need to use 110v devices in 220v countries or vice versa. Power Bright VC100W Voltage Transformer 100 Watt Step Up/Down 110 Volt - 220 Volt

This is an excellent machine, and at such a cheap price!



I'd originally intended to buy a simple small power converter from Radioshack, but they were 39 bucks for a crappy thing that only has 40W output and looked very flimsy. I knew there had to be a better option online, so I came to take a look here, and lo-and-behold, I found this gem of a little power converter.



The size isn't too bulky or space-taking (it sits nicely in a corner without disturbing anyone), the cord is long enough that I can have it on top of the cabinet next to my sound system, or in a shelf beneath it depending on my mood, and its power output is 100W! Far more than what I needed for my sound system, so I can use it for other things also without having to buy a more powerful machine.



It's really a great machine, and accepts both 110 volts and 220 volts without problems. For the output, you just plug your device into either of the two exit outlets it has, depending whether you need 110 or 220.

It accepts a wide variety of plugs and I was pleasantly surprised to see it comes with spare fuses and an extra plug-converter in case you need to plug it into a foreign outlet.



I also like that it has an on/off switch so that I don't have to keep unplugging it whenever it's not in use. Other converters I've had before would keep pumping power and over-heating if you didn't unplug them, while this unit has none of those problems, and works like a charm!





I'm very happy with it and will probably get a few more so that I can have some here and some for when I travel and so on.

I bought this item to charge some of my products that work only on 220-240V.



Pros:

- speedy delivery

- good packaging

- universal connector in the front of the unit

- option to select input voltage setting at the back of the unit

- on / off switch

- additional universal plug / socket adapter

- additional fuse in the box



Cons:



- gives out a funny smell (not a burning smell but could be the lubrication used in the unit....not sure)





Have used it only to successfully charge my items offline; have not tried to use my items whilst it is connected to this product.

As others have noted, upon opening the plastic bag the transformer is packed in, you're hit with an overpowering smell of some organic solvent.



The only reason I can think of for this is that either they had no burn-in period whatsoever and just packed the item before the chemicals had cured, or that they mixed the chemicals wrong and they'll actually never set. the latter would be more serious, as it could lead to product failure.



after 4 days in a semi-enclosed space outside, and two hours of running, I can still smell it a little. eventually it might suit my needs. It does seem to work fine.



But if you were buying this to go overseas later this week, it would be useless. Your luggage would smell like a burning plastic factory

I am currently in the Army deployed to Afghanistan and here it is a 210v outlets. So in order to plug in my Xbox I needed a transformer that would work well in the dusty enviornment of Afghanistan. This is a great product and works well with both 110v and 210v-240v (there are settings for all voltages).



PROS

-Works great with Xbox360, PS3, and other American appliances.

-Comes with extra fuses in case you burn them out.

-There is a power switch on it so you can plug in first to double check and make sure it is in the right port (even if it isnt it will just burn out the fuse rather than blow your appliance)

-It is slotted for all different types of plus ie. european plug which are 2 prongs and iraq plugs which is 2 flat with 1 veritical plug



CONS

There is a burning smell when I use it past an hour I feel like its probably because of dust stuck inside or what not but maybe you will not have the same problem.





CONCLUSION

If you are currently serving overseas ie. Germany,Iraq,Afghanistan,Italy this is a great product to buy when you want to play your xbox360 or ps3 since they are 110v.

Just be sure to read carefully and always use proper safety procedures when operating any electronics.

I needed this to use my U.S. PS3 in New Zealand. Worked perfectly, And I liked the fact that there are two plugs on the front, so that I could plug in a second device as well.



I'm very happy with the purchase. - Military - Power Converters - Voltage Converter - 220v'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information