Wednesday 16 February 2011

Remote Control - remote control, hdtv


My television is an older plasma. It has 1 HDMI port. I started hooking my computer to it to watch Blu Ray movies, and after trying to get behind everything to change cables, I decided to get port switcher. I counted the number of devices I needed to hook up. This switcher has 5 input ports and 1 output, supports 1080p and has a remote. The number of inputs was important for me. So was the remote. I can hook 5 different HDMI devices to the back of the switcher. Then the switcher was connected to the TV. I can switch from one device to another with the push of a button. For instance, I can watch a BluRay movie on my computer, pause it, the switch to my satellite receiver with the push of a button.



You can't beat the price either. It arrived very quickly. Installation consisted of plugging it into the TV's HDMI output and plugging to power cord into the socket. There is no on or off switch. No configuration. The remote has a button for each input. That's it. Cheap. Easy setup. Simple. Easy to use. Very small. Takes up very little space.



Make sure you have enough HDMI cables to hook everything up. HDMI Switcher 5-input, 1-output with 1080p Support

I started getting more components that use HDMI than my Sony A/V receiver could handle. This solved the "cable swap" dilemma & has not given me a bit of trouble. Small, compact & handles full 1080p. Definitely would recommend.

Not much to really say about this. It allows 4 HDMI connections to 1 output and it works well. I would have given it 5 stars but my issue is that it's always on. There's no power switch. IN this day in age shouldn't we be turning things off when not in use? This just stays on 24 hours a day burning up electricity. Not cool.

This product, while a great idea, is absolute junk. I ordered what I thought would be a new unit, but got a used one with a cracked touch button, and is also not the same unit as depicted in the ad. It does not stay powered off and cuts out when I am watching a movie on my DVD player or playing on my PS3. I had to tape over the overly bright blue lights which are very annoying and you can't turn off. I would never buy this perticular item again.

Wow - as a design engineer I was very impressed from the moment I opened the shipping box. It was so well done I told my wife it looked like it came from Apple! The picture needs to be updated to show the new smaller controller which looks like a thick credit card.

Unfortunately because it has a neat feature that senses when one of the five items to be switched is turned on - it will not work with a TIVO which is always on.

Called the supplier - very polite, understood the issue and told me all their units had that auto switch feature. They said they would send me an RMA # though Amazon to return it for a full refund.

Very disappointed it won't work with TIVO and except for that would rate it 5 stars

I have a 5 year old Toshiba plasma HDTV. It has only 1 HDMI input and I have 3 HD gadgets I use on this TV. I tried a switch with an infrared remote and that does not work well with a plasma TV. This HDMI switch and remote works just fine. You will need HDMI cables for all your devices but that is to be expected.

It works, the remote works, and it does what it says. So I'm going to start this off at 5 stars, and deduct for problems. Some of the problems may seem stupid or inconsequential, but don't worry, I don't deduct a full star for each problem, and I want to take EVERYTHING into consideration:



1.) Cord Length (-0.2 stars)



The cord is about 2ft long. Really guys? This isn't exactly a computer power supply, you're saving what? $1? At the most for not giving us at least an extra 2ft of basic copper wire. Was it worth it to inconvenience so many customers? If you must add a dollar to your price, it's more than worth it for extra length.



2.) Blue Lights (-0.3 stars)



I cannot overstate how bright these little bastards are, it's like looking into little blue headlines. Combine that with the fact that blue is the light color most detrimental to sleep (alright fine it's violet, but honestly how many lights are violet!?) and it's bad news when used in a bedroom (or in my case a dorm room). Even if it was in a living room, these things are SO bright they're distracting, which is a problem. Electrical tape fixed the issue, but it looks ugly so you lose a almost a third of a star there. Oh, and one of the lights was pushed INSIDE the unit a bit when I applied a small force to is (just enough force to secure the tape on) it's not a big deal, but still......Get your people on fixing the lights for any future products.



3.) Shaky Screen When Using DVR (-0.5 stars)



I was hesitant to include this because that title makes it sound much worse than it is, the problem is that on rare occasion the screen will start to get jittery when using my DVR (might happen with other devices, but I've mostly used it with my DVR) it's not that the whole screen shakes, it's that on screen motion jitters almost as if it's having trouble refreshing the picture. I know it's not a problem with the DVR or TV, because when I switch the box to another source and back to the DVR it always fixes itself. Remember, this is VERY RARE (like, once every 10 hours of TV watching) and is fixed each time VERY EASILY. It's not that big a deal, but it's annoying and a problem. Hopefully it's not a design flaw and it's just my switcher that has the problem.



PS:

If you buy this consider buying a "learning remote" you can get one for about $20 and they can capture IR signals and bind them to buttons. I used one to consolidate my TV, DVR, and even Xbox remotes. The reason I'm saying this is that you can use it to learn the buttons off of the remote that comes with the box, allowing you to use it all on one remote and overcome any range limitation that tiny clicker might have. I recommend the WR7 (http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Control-URC-WR7-Favorite-Channel/dp/B001KC08A4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1297833603&sr=1-1) - Hdtv - Hdmi Switcher - Remote Control - Hdmi Switch'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information