Friday 18 February 2011

Powerline Network Adapters - wireless range extender, powerline networking


This product is great. It does exactly what it is supposed to with excellent quality. If you use a Mac with OS X and an Airport router, however, it will be tricky to change the wireless network name from NETGEAR and apply security settings, since the Netgear Powerline utility for Mac is lacking (it doesn't give you the ip address) and the default ip address for each extender is different. Fortunately, I figured it out, though. Here is what you have to do:



Set up the Netgear Powerline by plugging in the Adaptor into the wall and connect it to a LAN port on your router. Next, plug the Extender into a wall outlet in the area that you want a better signal. After doing this, you will notice the network "NETGEAR" show up in your Airport list in the top right corner of the screen. Connect to the network and visit a site or two to make sure that the connection is how you want it. Next, open the Airport Utility and go to the Manual settings for your Airport router. Click on Advanced, then the Logging & Statistics tab. Next, click on the Logs & Statistics button on the bottom of the page. Click the "DHCP Clients" tab and you will see a number of devices that are communicating with your router. The one with the same MAC Address as your Netgear Wireless Extender (its MAC address can be found on the back of it) is your Wireless Extender. Note its IP Address and type it into your Internet browser. This will take you to the Settings page for your Netgear Powerline kit.



Besides this ignorant lack of process that will probably take up many peoples' time, the product is excellent.



Enjoy. NETGEAR Powerline AV 200 Wireless-N Extender Kit XAVNB2001

The Netgear Powerline AV 200 Wireless-N Extender Kit defiantly improved my wireless signal 100%. My main router(Netgear WNR834B-100NAS Wireless N Router) is located across the house from my room and my signal was terrible. I had bought the new Xbox 360 250GB Console with Kinect and thought the wireless signal from my xbox would reach my router, but it only had a 1 bar signal. so I looked around on Amazon and found this product. The day I received the Powerline it took me about 20 minutes to set it up. I noticed that certain wall outlets receive signals differently. So you might have to try a few wall outlets before you can get the most out of your Powerline. The thing I liked about it is it shows a red light if your receiving a link rate of less than 50 Mbps, a Yellow light for a link rate between 50 and 80 Mbps, and a green light for a link rate of 80 Mbps or more. On my Current setup I'm currently receiving 96 Mbps. Now I am playing my Xbox games Lag free with all Four Bars while I'm even on my laptop. Before, the Netflix on my Xbox would only show a one bar signal strength, now I get all four bars and watch movies and TV shows in HD quality! My only complaint with this product is it does basically take up the whole wall outlet, but its worth the signal.

I was looking for this solution months before I found this Netgear Powerline and Wireless extender.



I live in Chile and the Powerline here is 220 volts.

I found a lot of products that only worked at 110 volts (as in USA).



Finally I found this NETGEAR Kit that supports 110 and 220 volts.



I have installed 2 kits in my home to conect 2 laptop, 2 PC, 6 WiFi ip cameras, Wii, BluRay, TV, iPhone, iPod, etc. and they work fine.

After buying several Netgear Powerline kits during the past few years and struggling with incompatibilites and disorganised "user manuals", I purchased the AV200, hoping that its manuals and user unfriendliness would have improved. Same problems.



1. I gave up trying the manual's instructions. Miserably organised, and internally inconsistent. For example, in Method B Setup for using the Powerline Utility (CD), it instructs the user to use the utility if Method A and B are NOT working. But we are IN Method B !! So it instructs the user to use Method B if Method B is NOT working !! HUH? I suggest that Netgear employ writers with a minimal level of literacy and writing skills in the English language, although I suspect that their documentation errors will also be found in translated versions. Or maybe the English version itself is a translation from some foreign language?.

2. Trying to get help from Technical Support was worse. In addition to literacy problems, the person I spoke to on a telephone channel that appeared to originate from outer space was not technically competent. I called to get assistance in installing a second range extension for "Room 3". More specifically, the AV 200 has two devices, one for Room 1 near the router, and one extension (the XAVN2001) for Room 2. I wanted to install a similar extension for Room 3, and inquired whether that was possible. "Of course", I was told, and she could not answer why that was not discussed in the booklet. Nor could she explain how to do it. Later, some experts (Geeks) at Best Buy (Concord, CA) told me that my approach was impossible.

3. Did the 2-room approach work? Yes, but after a lot of trial and error. And I have enjoyed many movie streams since the installation. However, I had the discard every previous version of this device, a very expensive experience. - Powerline - Powerline Networking - Wireless Range Extender - Powerline Network Adapters'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information