Friday 18 February 2011

Piano Software - usb, m-audio


This is a good adapter for home use. Having been a roadie, I can pretty confidently say the Midisport Uno's build quality isn't roadworthy -- the attached MIDI cables are about as thin as the RCA cables that come with most home audio equipment, nowhere near as tough as patch cords for a stage rig. But the average home user, who's not plugging and unplugging in a hurry and stepping on the equipment and such, should have no worries. I have one, and it works fine.A note about appearance: My Uno's body (the oval part, smaller than an average computer mouse) is a deep translucent blue, rather than the opaque color in the current photo here on Amazon. Also, the cables are all one color, black, though the IN and OUT plugs are clearly labeled in molded lettering. There are three green LEDs: one that lights up when the computer recognizes the adapter, one for MIDI in signals, and one for MIDI out -- handy for troubleshooting.I bought the Uno to connect my Roland alphaJuno-2 to my PowerBook and play with GarageBand. I took it out of the packaging (a rare treat: a molded clamshell-type plastic package that isn't heat-sealed, so it doesn't have to be cut to shreds to open) and hooked it up, and nothing happened. I initially thought that Mac OS X would recognize it automatically, so it took me a few minutes to realize I needed to install the driver software. Although there are drivers on the included CD-ROM, I downloaded the latest version from the manufacturer's web site, installed, and the Uno instantly lit up and GarageBand informed me (because I already had the Roland powered up) that a MIDI device was now connected. It's worked flawlessly since.Simple to use; no extra cables to attach -- I think this is the perfect USB MIDI adapter for GarageBand users or anyone else connecting one MIDI keyboard to a computer at home. M-Audio USB Midisport Uno MIDI Interface

I bought the Midisport Uno a few days ago in hopes that it would replace my 15-pin midi connection I have in the back of my computer (with which I have had no problems, I was just trying to free up the PCI slot it was occupying). Anyway, I have since tested it with two different keyboards, a Yamaha PSR-273 and a Casio CTK-471.



#1) My main concern was that there would be latency issues. This was not the case at all. Rather, I never experienced a single problem with latency.



#2) It worked flawlessly with the Casio keyboard, I couldn't have been more satisfied with it in that respect.



#3) It worked horribly with my Yamaha PSR-273. Imagine using it underwater, or after bashing it with a hammer. Completely inoperable with this keyboard.



I called M-Audio's tech support line, and they quickly admitted that the device doesn't work with Yamaha PSR keyboards. He also mentioned that they don't work with another Yamaha model line (other than PSR), but he claimed not to be sure as to which one. He suggested I buy a Midisport 1x1 as it has none of the known compatibility issues that the Uno has, but I have yet to test it.



Bottom line: If you're not using a Yamaha keyboard, you shouldn't have any problems. If you ARE using a Yamaha keyboard, it's very likely the Uno isn't going to work for you (100% likely if it's a PSR). If you are willing to use a PCI-slot-based piece of hardware, I suggest a cheap soundcard with a joystick (15-pin) port in conjunction with this set of cables: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008VF52/sr=8-4/qid=1149323626/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-2313201-5844738?%5Fencoding=UTF8



If you're using a Yamaha keyboard but you still want to connect via USB, you apparently have to get the Midisport 1x1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006I5HD/ref=sr_11_1/104-2313201-5844738?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=11091801



Hope this helps.

I have a 12" mac powerbook running os 10.3 panther, and a kurzweil midi keyboard. After I installed the driver from m-audio the keyboard was recognized by GarageBand (iLife '04) and I was recording midi on my computer within minutes!

I finally got my Uno to work with my Yamaha keyboard. Yes that's right, I have a Yamaha keyboard (YPT-200). Here's how I did it:

I installed the drivers before I plugged in the USB device. Strangely, the Uno was not using M-Audio drivers even though the hardware wizard looked like it figured everything out correctly. I checked Device Manager to see if the drivers were installed correctly (they were not). To get into Device Manager:

1. I right-clicked on My Computer, then clicked on Properties

2. Clicked on the Hardware tab

3. Clicked on the Device Manager button

4. Clicked on the plus (+) sign next to Sound, video and game controllers.

5. Double-clicked on "USB Audio Device" (if you have M-Audio USB Uno Driver in the list, don't go any further. Your drivers are fine though you may want to update them. As of 3/3/07 it is version 4.2.0)

6. Clicked on the Driver tab, then clicked on the Update Driver button.

7. Clicked on the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" radio button, then clicked Next

8. Clicked on "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." radio button, then Next

9. The M-Audio USB Uno MIDI Driver should be in the compatible hardware list. You will have to select it, otherwise it will use Microsoft's generic drivers. Click Next.

10. You will get a scary message about "The software you are installing ... has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP... yada, yada... Just click "Continue Anyway."

11. If all goes right your "USB Audio Device" will change to "M-Audio USB Uno Driver" or "Audio USB Uno MIDI Driver" or both.



Yes, I got it to work, but for M-Audio to have me go through these steps is unconscionable. The drivers should install without fuss. This is not a true "Plug and Play" device... not even a "Plug and Pray" device. It's just stupid. Giving 2 stars is generous. For those who gave 4 or 5 stars... maybe you have a Mac... or maybe you just live right, but this is not a great product. Even though it now works, there are some latency problems (press a piano key... hear the sound a couple of miliseconds later), and it sounds a bit muddy. I can live with that (muddy sound & latency issues), but a bad install experience does not make me want to purchase an M-Audio product in the future.

Cheers!



5/12/08 (I've been wanting to update for awhile... I just got around to it now)

After I got the Uno Midi to work and played around on the piano keyboard, I turned it off and when I returned to the application that I use the Midi in again, it was back to the Microsoft Midi drivers... dang! Okay, I can drudge though setting up drivers once, but everytime I turn off the keyboard or unplug the USB? Too much work. So I purchased the E-MU Xmidi 1X1 USB MIDI interface, and it worked straight out of the box. Perhaps needless to say I have not used the Midisport Uno again.



Good luck with your usage. - M-audio - Interface - Mac - Usb'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information