Friday 18 February 2011

Pet Grooming Tool - dremel, dogs


Love the new Dremel! It's a great little tool. We originally purchased it because I wanted to carve "Funkins" for Halloween rather than a real pumpkin. We did use it for that and it worked great. We also used it for our dog's nails and it worked great for that too. She isn't fond of having her nails clipped so this was a better choice. It wasn't as invasive and if you just take your time it's pretty gentle. Dremel 7300-N/8 MiniMite 4.8-Volt Cordless Two-Speed Rotary Tool

I was looking for a grinding tool to use for trimming my dogs' nails since they don't like clippers and I refuse to pay a vet or groomer for something so simple...especially since I have four dogs. I did some research, checked Amazon reviews for various products, watched prices on both Amazon and Ebay (used and new) and ended up buying the Dremel 7300 cordless MiniMite new on Amazon.



After only about a week of introducing my dogs to the tool (using the instructions on doberdawn.com which is very detailed and great for the newbie...they don't sell anything, just an advice site), I'm now able to get my dogs to lie there while I do nail trimmings. This is a HUGE improvement over using typical dog clippers! I'm simply amazed at how well they took to it.



After reading about the PediPaws and similar items, then the Dremel models/options, I went with the MiniMite because it's similar to the Pedipaws except there's no guard (I haven't found this to be an issue) and it works better, is sturdier, and lasts longer according to other reviewers. I've only had it for two weeks, so I can't give feedback on longevity yet...but I do know it will be getting lots of use at our house, so time will tell. And we are still using the first sanding wheel, haven't had to replace it yet.



Plus it's cordless, so it's easier to use for the dogs anywhere in the house or outside (in warmer weather). So far I haven't had to recharge the battery (I've been using it daily for about two weeks now).



If you're struggling with dogs who hate nail clippers, I highly recommend trying a MiniMite. I have four dogs ranging size from 11 lbs to 67 lbs and it works well for all of them. I bought this specific one because I wanted more than one speed and I didn't need a lot of attachments to go with it. This is nice and compact and not so noisy that it scares the dogs. Both the MiniMite and the charger fit on my desk, within easy reach whenever I need to do some nail trimming. There's no cord on the charger, it just plugs directly into a wall outlet and you click the MiniMite battery into the charger base. It's 2-1/2" deep (sticking out from the outlet), so you need a spot where there's about 4-5" of clearance to easily plug in/remove the battery & charger. A counter outlet or a wall outlet that's not next to furniture are both good choices.



I've never had a Dremel or similar model of hand grinder. It's a handy little tool and I'm sure I'll find other uses for it in time. But for right now, I'm VERY happy with the results on my dogs' nails (and no rough edges like you get with nail clippers).

This tool is very simple in design, yet I have used it for many things I never even planned for when I purchased it. I bought the accessory kit (710-02) with it and I have been able to accomplish a lot of projects which wouldn't have gotten done without it. It comes with a few sanding and polishing accessories as well which is a nice start.



Additionally, the rechargable battery is great as working without cords speeds things up. Nice to not buy a ton of AA batteries to finish projects.

I ordered this dremel to replace a really old one I had. I was awry of buying this because i didn't want to give up the power of buying a cordless dremel. But it was worth every penny. It comes with every tool needed to get anything you need to get done. I was removing rust spots on my car and this dremel is perfect for the job when using the stainless steel brush. It has a fast 3 hour charger, and the battery lasts for about 40 minutes. It has two speeds which is more than sufficient. The tools are really easy to change and very easy to find.

I purchased this product to cut dog nails. I had previously used a more expensive but cheaply made pet nail grinder I bought off a TV infomercial. My mistake. That product turned out to be a worthless piece of junk. But, this dremel (the 7300 minimite) grinds wonderfully, charges quickly and is very efficient. Highly recommend.

i got this for trimming my dogs toenails... she is a yellow lab and usually HATES getting her nails trimmed.. she holds still for this and doesnt seem to mind.. it does a MUCH better job than the the pedi paws tool...that did not seem to have enough power..i am sure that i will find other uses for this too, but it is balanced and it seems to hold a charge for a long time.. i also like the fact that its cordless.. - Rotary Tool - Nails - Dremel - Dogs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information