Sunday 12 June 2011

Yoga For Beginners - blocks, mat


For just over 20 bucks you get everything you need for yoga. I was afraid this cheaper kit (compared to other brands) would arrive and be all, well, cheap and crappy, but I was pleasantly surprised when I opened this package. The mat is nice, sufficiently thick and sticky; the strap seems sturdy, and the blocks are nice and soft but firm. The material that the carrying bag is made out of does seem a bit thin, but still very useable, and hey all this for barely over 20 bucks, the bag is really just an extra in my eyes. If you are looking for an inexpensive but very functional kit to begin yoga, this kit is it.



UPDATE: Over a year later, this kit is still going strong, no problems whatsoever from anything. I use it regularly and it is holding up very well. Very pleased with this purchase. Valeo Yoga Kit

I was looking for a simple yoga mat which I could also use as an exercise mat - to do some abs.



Never had any intention to go for a 'yoga kit' - until I saw Valeo which was avaiable for $17 including a carry bag, strap and two blocks - which is the same as buying a mat alone in some brands. The product reached me on time (shipped by workoutsupplies) and I have used it a couple of times since them - both for simple yoga and also for abs.



Never had any problems with it, it is non slippery, light weight and easy to carry.



The yoga chart given with the kit is rudimentary. You might want to spend a few dollars and get a yoga video of your choice.



Overall, would I buy this product again ? Definitely Yes.



Update 2/10/2011:

4 + Years on - still going strong ! No signs of wear & tear, still sticky and resistive. Washed it a few times with soap water to take out all the dripping sweat from yoga practice. Still doing good.

I decided to take up yoga and really knew nothing about what I needed, except that I needed a mat. I bought this after looking at a few other offerings. I've used it for about 3 months now and this is my review.



When I first took the mat to class I found it to be a little slippery. My instructor said that this is common with new mats and suggested I soak it in a soapy water filled bathtub overnight. She said that they sometimes have a coating on them from the manufacturing process. I actually put it in my side loading clothes washer and used the "hand wash" cycle. (don't try this in a top loader, it will probably destroy the mat). The washer did the trick and the slipperiness went away. The mat is thin, but not thinner than most others I see in class. When we do poses that require us to put pressure on the knees, sometime I put a towel under my knee. The matt itself doesn't provide a lot cushion. However, I read that thicker mats can make it more difficult to balance on, for example when you are doing one-legged poses.



The blocks are very light and work well. If you are just starting out in yoga, and not very flexible, you really want to have blocks. Invest in a set if you do not buy a "kit" like this. They allow you to do some poses that you might not be able to do otherwise.



I haven't used the strap yet, but I'm not sure how much you can say about a simple strap. I'm sure it works.



The case (bag) can hold the mat and both blocks. However the material is very thin. After a couple of weeks, the stitching started to separate on mine. I need to either re-sew it before it completely comes apart or buy a sturdier one.



Overall, other than the problems with the case, I'm satisfied with my purchase. It has everything you need to start out in yoga, at a very reasonable price.



UPDATE - When my bag stitching started to rip I thought that I had must received a poorly made one. However, my daughter bought the same set, and the stitching on her bag is starting to come apart as well, after a couple of weeks of use. While I still think the mat and blocks are OK, the bag, in my opinion, is poorly made. I have change my rating from 4 stars to 2 based on the issues we had with the bag.

If I could buy some fancy recycled yoga equipment I would! But this will do for now.. I just got mine yesterday and its a lot nicer than what I expected. And the bag is also better than expected. I have no clue why people say what they do about the bag. I don't know what they are expecting for twenty bucks!



The yoga box did scare me because it only has pictures of women! I was scarred the blocks would not be able to hold me, but they seem sturdy. (I am an athletic 200 lbs.) If I have any trouble with the equipment you can bet I will come back to my computer and say so.

I decided to start up yoga again, after many years. I was looking for a yoga kit that gave me all the essentials without breaking the bank. The Valeo Yoga Kit is great for beginners because of all it offers you. Plus, you get a handy carrying case with it.

Comfy mat and great weight/resistance bricks.



The mat is very durable. After a lot of roll-ups it's still looking as new, something many expensive counterparts fail to do.



Bag is a bit cheap, but serves its purpose well.

When I compared prices both locally and on-line, it became clear that this was the most bang for my buck. While a mat can be had for less, the added value of the blocks, the belt and the carrying bag (which if purchased by themselves would be another $20) make this a great combination price. All items were of excellent quality. Now if I can only get my body to achieve the positons.

I had been doing a regular yoga class for a year and finally decided to buy a mat and some gear. This kit is great as it comes with a non slip mat, two blocks and a belt - all the basic essentials for a great price.

Have fun!

I discovered after receiving this item that the sticky mat is made of 90% PVC (polyvinyl chloride) by contacting Valeo re the product. PVC is dangerous to our health and environment from start to finish - in the factory, at home, and in the trash - releasing poisonous chemicals linked to cancer and birth defects. (I should have checked this prior to purchasing it, that was my error.) My hope is to make other shoppers aware that there are numerous healthy and eco friendly alternatives out there. (Gaiam, Enviromat, Prana, & so many more.) If you are doing yoga for your health and well being than it only makes sense that you are doing it on a material that supports that goal (as well as honoring our planet - PVC is so incongruent with the practice of yoga). Perhaps Valeo will phase it out if enough consumers let them know why they didn't choose their product. - Yoga - Yoga For Beginners - Mat - Blocks'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Yoga For Beginners - blocks, mat yoga for beginners Yoga For Beginners - blocks, mat