Sunday 12 June 2011

Laptop Backpack - camera backback, camera bag


This is a great camera backpack, and for the price, can't really be beat. However, there are a couple of things that I dislike about the bag.



1) The padded dividers are quite thick and take up a chunk of space within the backpack.



2) The hammock system for the camera is neat but it also results in a lot of wasted space at the top of the backpack on either side of where the DSLR body sits.



3) The zipper for the main flap goes down all the way to the bottom but due to the rubberized "bucket" at the bottom, has to stop above the bucket section at the base of the backpack. This is inconvenient because the lower most compartments of the backpack are hard to get at since the flap cannot be pulled apart any more. That space is pretty much dead space because anything that is stored in there will not be easily accessible unless you lay the bag completely flat and then struggle a bit with pulling your lens out of the bottom most compartment.



4) The pouches/flaps in this bag are not very useful due to their lack of having any real capacity as they sit flush against the body of the backpack. This is my single biggest gripe for the bag because the other points made above are more easy to overlook. I especially find it hard to store my GND filters and polarizer along with adapter rings and cokin filter holder in the front/side pouch which is where I should be able to store them for easy access.



Don't let my list of negatives fool you. It is still a great backpack. I just decided to list these points because I didn't really see them in any reviews I read when researching the backpack. If I had, I might have considered a different backpack that had more pouch space for accessories. Case Logic SLRC-206 SLR Camera and 15.4-Inch Laptop Backpack (Black)

It has been a long trek for me finding the perfect bag, so far this Caselogic bag comes close but still no cigar... I am looking for a bag I can bring to work daily to carry my laptop and most if not all my camera gear and not look like a luggage is on my back.



The good:

- Excellent padding throughout the entire bag.

- Hard bottom for stability & protection.

- Divider padding is thick (see bad).

- Memory foam cover of the camera slot.



The bad:

- Shoulder strap is thinly padded (My Canon branded camera backpack has a beefier shoulder strap).

- Very tight fit for my 50D with battery pack, needs alot of forcing to zip closed (Canon 1D & battery grip pack owners beware).

- Dividers are too thick, wasting valuable space (easily remedied).

- The camera holder suspension slot is too tight, I can't insert the camera with the hood on (24-70mm). Going in and out the camera gets stuck. (It can be removed)



I have 3 bags currently (Canon & Lowepro Computrekker Plus) this Caselogic bag is an excellent size, not too big, and I was able to fit all my gear plus my MBP 15". However the bad listed for the battery pack prevents me from using it everyday. In addition the straps on the Caselogic slr206 concerns me on the long term reliability.

This is my second second Case Logic Backpack this size. The older model was ok, but didn't feel durable, and broke a couple zippers within months, so I was a little hesitant about this one. This model does seem a little heavier, more durable, and the zippers seem to be better, but the side straps for the tripods didn't last long. One broke within a month or little over. They are pretty good bags, wish they would be a little more durable. Because of that I have to go 3 stars...

The Caselogic SLRC-206 backpack would be the perfect camera bag if not for a few difficulties.



I like this bag. It looks sleek and feels sturdy. A hard bottom protects all of your valuable gear from impact or water penetration, and bright yellow movable partitions inside make sure your gear is snug and give you helpful contrast when retrieving it. There's an ingenious "hammock" that fits your camera outfitted with lens face down, keeping it from resting directly on anything, and a very soft material against the LCD.



Despite this, the bag is lacking in few features that really hurts it. I find both compartments (front and side) to be too small. I would be sincerely surprised if the side pocket expands to an inch in depth. Also, the front pocket's usefulness feels limited. I can't help but think that both could be so much more spacious and well designed, and, of course, a place to hold a water bottle would be greatly appreciated. I'd rather not have to sacrifice too much for art.



Also, quite sadly, there is no chest or waist straps. It was most certainly my fault for overlooking it, but chest and waist straps would have certainly distributed the load more evenly for long day trips with this bag. I imagine the unbalanced weight of a reasonably attached tripod on the side would make such a trip even more uncomfortable. In addition, it is quite difficult to remove your camera without moving the bag. Expected, but unpleasant.



In closing, I like this bag. Its useful for a camera bag, but lacks the essentials for any extended trips. - Camera Bag - Laptop Backpack - Slr Backpack - Camera Backback'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information