Wednesday 1 June 2011

Kitchen Gadgets


I purchased this knife sharpener because the price was right. I wanted a spare knife sharpener to keep at my camper. It will sharpen knives just as well as more expensive two stage sharpeners do. The cutters are fixed so you can't replace them. At the price who cares, buy a new one and save the aggravation of replacing cutters at $7 a pop.

This is a fantastic product. It's inexpensive, ergonomically friendly, and sharpens very well. Because it is both small and attractive, I can leave it on the kitchen counter beside my knife block for very quick, easy touch-up sharpening (use the ceramic slot for this purpose).



You may or may not want to buy an expensive electric sharpener to sharpen all your knives a couple of times a year, but you definitely want to have a Smith's Edge Grip handy so you can easily keep your edges sharp on a day-to-day basis.

I bought this specifically for some inexpensive "Farberware Pro" knives, for which it matched the factory bevel very well. I have not tried it with any other knives, but I imagine Farberware's grind is fairly typical of most kitchen knives being sold today.

This sharpener is not comparable to a stone or similar systems when faced with varied or more complex grinds, and is not going anywhere near the cleaver, for example. However, the carbide bits are very aggressive, much better than typical "coarse" ceramic sharpeners, and could probably regrind a knife fairly quickly. The "fine" ceramic rods are standard fare.

The grip looked small in the picture but, combined with the traction from the rubber bottom, proved comfortable and completely secure. Of the fixed angle, countertop sharpeners I have encountered, this is the best designed and I expect to replace it with same model when it wears out.

I have a small kitchen and just a few drawers. So, I need to save space, and this sharpener has the size that I was looking without losing quality. The first impression was that it wouldn't last long, but after 4 months it still works perfectly and my knives are always in the perfect shape.

THIS little thing works perfect for the price and size. My husband sharpens the knifes in the garage but I got this to have in the drawer to keep them super sharp when needed for a lot of veggie chopping and it works fantastic.

This is a magnificent little sharpener. As a former professional chef, I can honestly say if this product had been available twenty years ago I would have had one. When the blade dulls the work is slower and more likely to result in inferior cuts and accidental cuts. If you follow the instructions you'll have a razor sharp knife in about one minute. For the money, this is the BEST product for the kitchen I've seen in years! Thank you for making my food prep easier & better.

It was cheap so I gave it a try, turns out it's actually a very good sharpener. I thought the built in sharpener on the knife block was ok until I used this. You will actually remove steel shavings from the blade to form the correct angle with the rough side and basically polish with the fine side. My set holds the edge quite well but that will depend on the quality of knife you have. Definately will buy another for when the current one wears out.

Man, I paid 6 bucks for this thing and it might be the best 6 bucks I've ever spent. It's small so it can be tucked away in a drawer, lightweight and gets knives CRAZY sharp for how small and inexpensive it is. I bought one and had it sent to a friend I was so impressed.

Man, this thing is tiny! I don't mention that because it affects it's performance, I was just surprised, as it appears larger in the pictures. This sharpener performs well, with plenty of rubber coating on it for a good hand grip and good traction on the counter.'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information