Wednesday 1 June 2011

Favorite Chefs - 3g, cookbook


I just received this book a couple of days ago and I love it! The layout is very nice and across the top of the page of every recipe the five ingredients are listed, so that you can quickly flip through the cookbook and have an overview of the ingredients used. So far I have made:



Rosemary-Parmesan Shortbread - so delicately delicious and addictive, great with wine and I even had a few the next day with my coffee. My son kept finding his way back to the pantry to sneak some extras.



Asian Beef Roll-ups - very flavorful (but I confess I did not roll them up), the next day my husband put the leftovers in a hotdog bun and topped them with the braised red cabbage and loved it that way too. I do think I will grill the flank steak whole next time and slice it after it's cooked. Those thin slices cooked way too fast and came close to being more like beef jerky, but that has more to do with my skills than the recipe. I also think I'll will double the sauce (so good!) and try to use it in different dishes.



Braised Red Cabbage - this was good, but next time I will try to get my helping first instead of last, the crumbled bacon over the top definitely got people's attention! Not too mention the yummy smell of maple ("I smell syrup and bacon!" was heard a few times while I cooked this).



Can't wait to cook some more recipes today!



Yum.







Okay, in all seriousness, yum.







It takes a true genius to come up with Baked Ricotta with Stewed Cherries and make it okay to eat for breakfast! It was seriously just like cheesecake. I love this...







I'm not a huge fan of Claire Robinson's show (I get annoyed easily by cooking show hosts) but I love her philosophy and style. She's French school trained, yet makes things so simple!







The Buttermilk Pecan Chicken was so easy and delish! It's now on my monthly rotation of meals to cook. I cheated a bit though and used a jarred sauce for the noodles which go with it (and added broccoli since I felt we needed a veg with dinner). But oh...I'm enjoying this book. There are little snippets on each page of "What makes this recipe really sing" and "What to toss in if you have it" that are nuggets of information from the author and it's really a great cook book. I'm looking forward to making more recipes from it in the weeks to come!





I received a copy of the book from Hachette Book Group in return for an honest review. No additional compensation has been received and I was not required to write a positive review.

Claire's KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid) is right up my alley. I like that the recipes deliver quickly and without fuss. I made brown butter banana muffins using up ripe bananas I had stored in freezer. I also made an Edamame hummus (like chickpea) to use up edamame (soybeans) wasn't sure what to do with it. I also made ricotta spaetzle, a nice surprise, b/c I had a spaetzle recipe I liked, but this one is better--very delicate and tender. (Altho' a colander is usually suggested for this, it helps to have a spaetzle maker or a food mill so 'drops' of batter fall into the pot of water easily). The Polenta Fries came out brown and crispy, then dipped into tomato sauce (made mine spicy)--fast, easy, very good! There are many pics in this book which help to inspire. The picture of Prosecco Gelatin Parfait in see-thru trifle cups w/ whipped cream between is calling my name. (Jello for grown-ups--will make that one for sure!). These recipes are elegant and, to my mind, innovative--yet fast and simple. Even though I have countless cookbooks on my shelf, I am glad I bought this one too.

5 Ingredient Fix: Easy, Elegant and Irresistible is written by the new uprising star of the Food Network, Claire Robinson. This cookbook simply helps you put great and delicious food on your table quickly. So, being a hectic mom always running from work, daycare and life, I was thrilled to receive this book as to conduct this review.



5 Ingredient Mix compiles some beautiful recipes using five ingredients or less. The recipes in the book are easy, affordable and quick. What else could I ask for? This cookbook, as it saves a lot of time out of the kitchen, simply works for me. The dishes do not look plain but, simply appear to be exquisite and tasteful. These recipes prove that in order to have a beautiful, lavish meal does not equal long hours in the kitchen.



The book itself is sectioned out in parts categorizing meals from breakfast, appetizers, drinks, main meals to side dishes, desserts and treats. The choices and variety are endless. Robinson also explains her 5 Ingredient philosophy indicating that cooking should be fun, easy, affordable and healthy. She also adds a personal letter to her readers as well as a section informing her readers on what utensils they should have in the kitchen for successful cooking. So, with a quick trip to the supermarket, picking up a small bag of groceries, you can have a restaurant-like dinner on your table in no time. I can't wait to try these recipes but, with the simple cooking in the short time it takes, I am already happy. - Cookbook - Fast - Favorite Chefs - Cooking - 3g - Celiac'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information