Monday 2 May 2011

Yoga Mats - yoga mat, yoga mats


I have had this mat for three months, using 3-4 times a week for a 1 hour class, and it falling apart, coming into pieces all over, and now on my clothes. I have never had this happen with a mat, and I have three other ones I still use that are nearly 5 years old. But this was a gift and I guess I broke it in! And I am only 158lbs and not used in a power yoga class...just a standard Astanga. Gaiam Tree of Life Yoga Mat

Upon purchasing this mat I was very pleased, loving the design and stickiness. I have only been doing yoga for 5 months and my mat is already stretching. I was not sure what to look for in a mat, and should have done some research first. When in down-dog my mat stretches and sort of bunches up in front of my fingers and behind my toes. It has also never flattened completely.

I'll be honest this is my very first yoga mat but I can't believe I waited so long to get one. This mat is good and sticky. It really helps me reach my full length in various poses such as downward facing dog and even bending forward in cobbler's pose etc.



I have noticed a smell of plastic when my nose is pushed up to the mat but no other time. I do not have any sensitivity to chemical smells but I do live in a house with someone who does and he can't smell a thing. I have only had it a few days; however I expect the smell will eventually be undetectable even up close, much like a new car.



The color is very pretty, a soothing green with a light greenish-yellow tree. The tree is screened on. Some people may feel this is a bad thing as screened on images sometimes begin to peel off. This image appears to be very secure to the surface and I have no such worry.

I've had this mat for about a month, using it 3x per week. It's decent. It doesn't smell of chemicals/plastic unless my nose is really close to the mat, and even then it's a rather faint smell. Aside from a tiny bit of curled up edge - easily fixed with a quick reverse roll - my mat laid flat the very first time I unrolled it. The colour and tree screen print are attractive - I'm very partial to sage green though.



Downside: The foam isn't very dense, and I can often feel the floor. For me this is a huge drawback as I have sensitive bony areas that end up pressed uncomfortably (and sometimes painfully)into the hard floor during particular asanas. I'm fine with the thickness of the mat, but I would have preferred a denser material. Also, It IS quite slippery. It grips the floor nicely, but my hands slip all over the place when I'm in downward dog - so annoying!



It is what it is for the price. I'll continue to use it for now, but I wouldn't purchase it again.

I am very disappointed with this mat - my hands and feet slide all over the place when I try to use it. In the end i gave up, and halfway through class went to get one of the class mats out of the cupboard. I have yet to find out whether Gaiam will give me a refund without charging me for the return shipping.

I just paid full price for this mat at a retail location and am very disappointed. When I plant my hands down for a pose, I don't expect my hands to start slipping around (especially if my leg is dangling precariously in the air). I kept having to readjust my hands, which resulted in constant disruptions to my workout. Not good. Not to mention it did not provide enough cushion for my knees and elbows, which felt bruised the day after my workouts.



I will now be looking around for a better quality mat.

First of all, it doesn't look like this at all. It's a darker, more forest green with a barely visible lighter green pattern. The pattern is the same, you just can't see it very well! This mat is super stinky (plastic-y chemical smell) when first unrolled, but most printed mats are. Just unroll it and let it air out somewhere. This is not great for hot yoga because it doesn't clean well (falls apart after a while, super slippery, stinky, bunches up). It does stretch after just a couple months of regular use. It's good to get started with because it is cheap and you can certainly learn some basics on it. Just save your money in the meantime to get something more durable!

This mat literally stinks. The plastic/chemical smell STILL gives me a headache 6 months after purchase. I use it 1-2 times per week but to this day childs pose/anything where my face has to be close to the mat is unenjoyable. - Mat - Yoga - Yoga Mat - Yoga Mats'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information