Monday 2 May 2011

Blu-ray Player - 3d, samsung


Good:

Quick Boot

Plays the content it advertises

Looks sleek and has the newest collection of Samsung Apps



Bad:

Not sure if it's because this is new but the Hulu Plus & Netflix apps stutter uncontrollably. I brought this player to replace an excellent earlier Samsung model which never had this problem. It is so bad that a video could go 10-15 minutes without audio or out of sync. Sometimes the video will play in slow motion with no audio. I thought it was the apps' fault so I pulled up Netflix on my earlier Samsung blu-ray player and had no issues. Also pulled up Hulu Plus on a Sony blu-ray player and did not have the same issue. I have a 17 Mbps connection (actual speed not advertised) and the part that drives me up the wall is that Hulu Plus ads work perfectly on this player. Again, this must be the player because my other blu-ray players do not have this issue and the website does not either.



I have AV receivers and a nice home theater setup so since most blu-ray players play content very well and just bitstream audio to my receiver, the main difference will always be apps and this player was a dissapointment. Samsung BD-D5500 3D Blu-ray Disc Player (Black)

Owned it for about a week so far. I read the other reviews and have not seen or experienced any of the same issues they have had with regards to apps and disc playability. There were however two firmware updates that I downloaded automatically after bootup and installed - these probably fixed the issues that others have seen. So far it has been a great player with fast loading and nice apps. It interfaces well with my Samsung HDTV and have only experienced good things with it. I tried many different Bluray discs including Avatar and have had no problems. I would recommend.

I set the internet functionality up before trying to play a Blu Ray, and it worked nicely.

Then I tried to play Blu Ray edition of Kick Ass, and the player went into a coma. After 5 minutes I powered it down

and then upon startup ejected the disc that has always played flawlessly on my PS3.

Thinking this might be a bad disc I tried Avatar.. this required me to go and find a thumb drive as the

movie needs 2 mb of storage to play and the player has no on board memory.. so I did so and after messing

about for a while with no results gave up. The third disc I had just rented from Netflix and it did play after a comparatively

long load time compared to the 3 year old PS3 I ended up watching it on.



Pros : It started up quickly, internet was easy to set up, Netflix looked OK, but it's still better via PC.



Cons : unit was very hot after only an hour, no cooling fan. 2 of 3 randomly chosen discs would not play, slow to play time

on the one that did. How about putting a few Meg of memory on the board.. it'd cost next to nothing and no one would need to hunt down a thumb drive to see Avatar..



I got this player from Costco on the way home this evening and it's going back tomorrow. At 159$ you do seem to get what you pay for.

The old PS3 has outshined this machine.



Did not get as far as testing the 3D, as the TV arrives tomorrow and I'll do a little more research into a better player.

I just received this player from Amazon three days ago. There are certain features of this product that exceed my expectation.

1.The Blu-ray disk reading is very fast. This is compared to the Panasonic DMP-DB60 Blu-ray that I had previously. This one is almost 10 times faster than the Panasonic DMP-DB60. I am very pleased by its fast reading capability.

2.You can connect a mass storage device to this machine to the USB port. I initially thought the USB ports were for small storage devices such a flash drive or thumb drive, like many earlier version Blu-ray/DVD players. But after I tried to plug a 500GB external hard drive into it, all the multi-media files on the drive were quickly recognized by the player. The reading was fast. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

3.Besides its high quality video output, the audio output is also very powerful. I connect this player to my "Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System", which is the best PC audio system that I have had so far (perhaps the best in the market). The sound is much more powerful than if the PC output is used. I had to tune the volume down by 1/3 of the normal level so that it won't shake the wall too much.

4.It plays many video formats and supports many codecs. It's the first Blu-Ray/DVD player that plays mkv video file that I've seen in the US market.

Please note that in order to have the subtitle of a video file to be read by the machine, you have to make sure the file name of the subtitle (with the extension of .sub or .srt) must be the same as the video file name. I didn't do that earlier. After I tried to play several video files, I figured it out myself, which made me more pleased with this product. I changed my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars.

I bought this player along with "Samsung UN55D7000 LED TV", which has several USB ports by itself. After a few days of use, I realized that the USB capabilities of this Blu-player and the TV are overlapped. But I was still impressed by the new technology. - Samsung - 3d - Blu-ray Player - Blu-ray Disc Players'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Blu-ray Player - 3d, samsung 3d Blu-ray Player - 3d, samsung