Monday 2 May 2011

Lightweight - grilling, nonstick


I'm an outdoor grill cook -- big time. I got the Calphalon Grill Pan as a birthday present, and I must admit I wasn't too enthused. Why would you want to pretend to grill indoors, right?



Well, a nice steak and a rainy day gave me the opportunity to try my pan. I cooked the steak over medium heat on an electric range, and the results were fantastic. I ate the tenderest steak I've ever cooked on a stovetop, rivaling the tenderness I get from the grill. Sure, you can't mimic the flavor of cooking on an outdoor grill, but the look (grill marks) and tenderness were identical. I got a slightly sauteed taste because I had a trace of butter and oil in the pan -- enough to make a thin layer coating the bottom. The taste was definitely different from an outdoor grill, but regardless the meat tasted excellent. I seasoned it just like I would for the grill before cooking.



Being a natural skeptic, but enthused by the results with the steak, I decided to try the pan again cooking boneless chicken breasts. Same results! Super tender, juicy, and great looking meat came out of the pan. I'm sold. This is the pan for me when cooking grill meat indoors.



The secret to nonstick is to let the pan heat up fully over medium heat (no higher) before putting the meat in the pan. Putting a little butter and oil in the pan, and waiting until the butter turns golden brown lets you know when the pan is ready to use. Soaking the pan in warm water immediately after cooking makes for easy cleanup. Enjoy!

This pan heats unevenly to the point where it simultaneously burns and undercooks food. We have not had this problem with our older Calphalon or All-Clad pans. The uneven heat distribution is undoubtedly related to the thickness of the aluminum. The bottom of the pan is 3.9mm thick. Our older Calphalon pans are 5.5mm thick--40% thicker! Indeed the pans feel lightweight and cheap, similar to non-stick pans you buy at the local supermarket. I suggest you avoid this pan and either buy a cheaper item of similar quality or hunt for better quality.



This pan also has not done a great job at striping meat.

I purchased this Calphalon Unison Nonstick 12 Inch Round Grill Pan along with the Calphalon Unison Nonstick 12 Inch Round Griddle Pan and love it! The "nonstick sear" surface used on this grill pan does just what it says, giving just enough grip to hold meat in place while still releasing easily when flipping the meat or removing it from the pan.



I will confess that I have not used this pan anywhere near as much as the griddle, but that is simply because we do not grill a lot of meats on the stove. I have done several steaks, however, and they came out juicy and delicious. I'm usually a picky eater and never eat the fat on a steak, but this pan cooked a ribeye so well that I ate the whole thing! The grill surface kept the meat from frying on the bottom, but it still retained plenty of moisture and all the flavor. (These steaks were not marinated, just seasoned with salt and pepper.)



The main points for this pan are:

* Nonstick (just enough grab for cooking meat, but nothing gets stuck to the pan)

* Oven-safe (have not tried this pan in the oven, only the griddle)

* Easy to clean (wipe with a paper towel first to get the grease)

* Handle stays cool while cooking (except in the oven)

* Large size can cook more food at once



While I have not tried cooking anything but steaks with this pan, it is by far the best grill pan I've tried. It probably won't see quite as much use as the griddle pan, but I don't see myself cooking a steak any other way from now on. Highly recommended.



Note: As with any nonstick cookware, avoid using metal cookware. I bought a set of silicone-coated tongs for flipping steaks and they work great.

I have had Calphalon cookware for 20 years. It has never disappointed and this line is no different. I bought this pan to do Bison steaks and burgers and it is fabulous. Last night I had done a few onions in the pan first and then the burgers so it was pretty well carmelized down in the grooves and really a mess. I thought there was no way this was coming clean in the dishwasher. Well it did!! Pristinely clean like new. My old Calphalon grill pan without the nonstick surface is going to Goodwill today.



Furthermore, if you don't know it Calphalon is one of the rare companies left in America that actually stands by their guarantees. I have had several pans replaced over the years because of the kind of stove I have. When they say "lifetime guarantee", they mean it!

I watched the Unison demonstration video on the Calphalon website. This has been a great product for various applications. No problem with cleaning up, handle's "Y" shape helps to keep it cool. Highly recommended :-)

I received my Grill Pan for Christmas and wanted to make sure i used it several times before posting a review. I had high hopes for this pan as i love grilling out but my apartment does not allow grills. I was not disappointed. I have used this pan well over 10 times and so far have no signs of damage or scratches. I do wash this in the dish washer though i am careful that noting is going to rub against it when i do.



It holds its heat well and evenly. It provides that beautiful grilled look and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it seared meat. I normally use a cast iron skillet for searing as most non stick pans just dont get the job done well. This one did a great job and is oven safe so after searing just pop it in the oven to finish off the meat.



I would highly recommend this Pan to anyone looking for a grill pan. - Lightweight - Grill Pan - Grilling - Nonstick - Grill Pans'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information