Monday 2 May 2011

Manual Can Opener - openers, safety can opener


My wife and I find this to be the best can opener we have ever used; we even use it to open cans that have lift top lids (such as Del Monte canned sliced peaches). Why this can opener is so good is because of how it works and the quality of the product. It is made like a Swiss watch; there is no slop in the movement.



It is different than a traditional can opener which you place along the side of the can top and it cuts off the top. This can opener you place on top of the can and it separates the top of the can from the can cylinder. Contrary to the language used in the Amazon review, the can opener does not depend on cutting. The Kuhn Rikon Safety Lid Lifter depends on breaking the seal between the lid and the can.



The knob that you turn rotates a knurled wheel. When pinched on a can, it is forced into contact with the inside edge of the can lid. The wheel of the can opener that is on the outside is set at a slight angle that causes a lifting action to break the bond between the can and the lid.



Initially, you turn the knob clockwise; when the opener has gone completely around the top of the can and you detect a drop in force, you then turn the knob counter-clockwise and the lid lifts away from the can. Typically, there are no sharp edges because nothing has been cut.



If you want to see a good picture of the mechanism, look at the lower price model. To see this, click on other products by Kuhn Rikon. You will be able to go to a picture that shows the opening mechanism and will see the very slight angle on the wheel opposite the drive wheel. This wheel does all the magic.



Because of my fascination with this can opener, I have examined a lot of cans that were opened with this opener. Only one time I found a sharp point that must have occured when the lid did not properly separate from the cylinder.



The drawbacks:



There are some cans with pull top lids that this opener will not open but these are few.



I notice in some reviews people talk about sliver pieces and I have seen this. What I believe they see is a small particle of the glue ring that seals the top of the can to the cylinder in the assembly process.



It takes getting used to:



When you place the can opener on top of the can, it must lay flat. Once you get used to it, you automatically push down lightly on the turning knob as you close the grips. This assures that the can opener is laying flat on top of the can.



The can opener is designed for use by right handed people. To operate this opener, you need to be able to position the can opener on the can with your left hand and hold it there while turning the knob with your right hand. If you can't do that, you probably don't want this can opener.

When we first got this unique tool, my son and I thought it was defective. The mechanism glides so smoothly around cans, it hardly seems to be doing anything...then we discovered the grip that lifts the lid off. I truly like the safety the lid lifter provides. Since we recycle our cans, sharp edges can really be a hazard; but we no longer have that problem. The lids even fit back on as though they had never been removed. This product is very well constructed, has an easy grip to turn (much more comfortable and easier to operate than a standard can opener), and seems to stay cleaner. The only drawback is opening large cans, particularly large cans of coffee.

This is the best can opener I have ever used in 35+ years of housekeeping! It stays clean, does not rust, stays sharp, is easy to turn (padded handle) and the can edges are so neat, you can put the lid right back on if you want to. I am buying this for gifts. Forget electric can openers that get so filthy and rust and get dull. This one is perfect and I expect it to perform for years and years.

My husband drove me nuts looking for one of these, we looked everywhere for one. I finally found it at Amazon, I have tendinitis, and cans are so much easier to open. Dented cans would torment me with pain, but this can opener glides over any dent, cuts through good, and is not hard to turn. I expected with this sort of can opener, cans such as coffee cans, I would not be able to return the plastic lid to the can because of the way it cuts. I was wrong, the lid goes right on with no problems. The only disadvantage, is that if you want to drain things such as tuna fish, the lid isn't real easy to keep in place so that you can do so. All in all I would have to say every home should have one.

After fighting with Safety Can for too long, I purchased this model. I love it. It works every time. Very solid construction, and the little jaws for pulling the lid off are very helpful. No nails ruined!

I purchased this can opener to replace an "ancient" one that was quite rusty and hard for me to operate. My husband had no problems with it, but I sure did -- it left sharp edges on the cans and lids. Half the time the lid would still be attached to the can and I would have to "wiggle" it off! Sometimes the lid would go "plop" into the food and I would have to pry it out using a knife. What a mess!



This can opener is a world apart from the above scenario. I love the fact that it is easy to operate (even for a lefty like me!). It doesn't leave sharp edges. I find that using the opener also to lift the lid is very handy. The tool, too, seems well-made. It is stainless and heavy enough that it seems made to last. It is not too heavy though. It is indeed a nifty kitchen tool! - Kuhn Rikon - Design - Kitchen Gadgets - Openers - Manual Can Opener - Safety Can Opener'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information