Monday 2 May 2011

Emergency Preparedness - crank radio, solar radio


Pros:



Nice features - great for camping. While outdoors in sunny weather can charge the ni-mh battery pack with solar while listening. You can also charge with a USB cable via your computer (you don't need to buy the AC adaptor).



Nice sound on the FM and AM bands - short wave nice option for those really remote areas - (but is there really anything on SW to listen too?). Digital tuning a real plus - I never could tune a station properly with analog dials



This has a 'true' hand crank generator. Yes you can charge your cell phone or anything that charges via USB cable (i.e things you plug it into your computer to charge). Good only for emergency charging (too much cranking to fully charge a cell phone) - but this is a real crank generator charger, unlike some other products I have purchased.



Cons:



Battery hog, (good thing you can recharge)



It is more rugged than most radios, but this is not really waterproof - don't leave it out in the rain



Expensive - in the end you get a mono radio, sure you get a crank generator but this thing 'aint cheep.



Solor only works in bright direct sunlight (no clouds).



Manual - what manual?



Flashlight ok - but SOS LED flasher and siren are worthless. Those are just marketing items to get you to buy the radio.



Weather alert -NOAA SAME code descrimiter is buggy and weather alerts go off (when my other SAME radio does not) randomly. Eton custom service don't know how to fix this issue, and I've even had replacement radios sent. If you buy this radio for NOAA alerts using S.A.M.E. this is a big problem. I did and a big reason why I am rating this radio low. For $80 a radio should work properly. IF you don't care about S.A.M.E. alerts, then this won't be an issue for you. For me I like to have an emergency radio SAME turned on all the time in case there is a emergency/storm etc that I need to know about. I don't care to hear about storms that are in other areas and that is what SAME does, is only give give you alers in your area.







UPDATE (April 2010) - I've had this radio for about a year now, and while it is still a battery hog and I can't use it for my NOAA weather alerts (as it gives false alerts all the time), but I do like this radio. I'm glad I bought it, it's my main radio when we go camping, or I'm working outside - but still think it's overpriced. Etón American Red Cross ARCFR600R Solarlink Digital AM/FM/SW/NOAA S.A.M.E. Weather Radio with Flashlight, Siren, Solar and CellPhone Charger (Red)

Bought this multi-use emergency radio for use during power outages and other emergencies. When I received the radio (loved the case and knobs) I cranked the generator for about 1-2 minutes and gave it a try. Volume was very good and dialing in the stations was quick and easy. I set all defaults then GONE - battery died. I then cranked the generator for over 5 minutes and again set things up and played with everything for about 3 minutes and the battery died again. I then added 3 AA Energizer batteries, cranked the generator again for 3-5 minutes. I set the switch to the generator mode for the evening and set the alert system to monitor for a single county. In the morning, the unit was dead again and not only the built in battery was dead, the 3 new AA batteries were also dead. As a final test, I took the unit outside and placed the solar panel in direct sunlight. (even moved it during the day to track the sun). I turned it off that evening and did the same the next day. When I turned the unit on the FM radio it died in less than 30 minutes.

NOW, here is the biggie and I would caution anyone thinking about buying this product. I emailed Eton Customer service.

QUOTE -

Thanks for the email Mr. J. I need to know if you were trying to charge it through a window. The solar charger only charges with the radio in direct sunlight, not through a window or in shade, with the power selector switch in the solar position while charging.



Cranking for 90 seconds should allow the radio to play for about 5 minutes, at low volume.

The FR600 is a digital receiver with NOAA and S.A.M.E. technology. It is therefore harder on batteries than other radios.



When you're using AA batteries and have the radio in the ALERT position, the radio is still on, monitoring for alerts. We suggest that you use an AC adapter if you're using the ALERT position. An AC adapter can be purchased for $9.95+shipping by calling 1-800-793-6542.

END QUOTE

I answered their questions but IF USING THIS RADIO IN EMERGENCY WHEN NO POWER IS AVAILABLE - Wouldn't that make the AC power adapter kind of usless????



Finally Quote from Eton CSR - I agree Mr. J, something just doesn't seem correct. Your return authorization number is #####. We'll evaluate your unit and repair or replace it, at our discretion. Our process takes 4 to 6 weeks, or sooner. ENDQUOTE

4 to 6 weeks to repair/replace a brand new radio - Give Me a Break

The radio was returned to Amazon for a refund. I am still looking for a real emergency radio that will play for at least hours upon charging with solar or crank and more using batteries - Solar Radio - Emergency Supplies - Crank Radio - Weather Radio'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information