Monday 23 May 2011

Waterproof Mattress Pads


I purchased 2 queen Luna mattress protectors and pillow protectors 6 months ago and wanted to post a review based on my experience. Both my daughter and I have allergies to dust mites and were told by my neighbor that Luna mattress protectors may help. One of the mattresses was 17" thick so we weren't sure how well it would fit, but it easily covered the mattress nicely. The material is very high quality and washes easily. After about a week we could actually tell a difference in our allergies from before and after we applied the mattress and pillow protectors. One added bonus of the product was when our dog had an accident on the mattress. We were amazed to discover that nothing got through the cover, which was a great relief! This mattress protector has exceeded all of my expectations and I would recommend this to anyone!

After a bad incident with my cat I was wary of cheap protectors that aren't waterproof.



When I got these I tested them under a faucet and they are actually waterproof. The terry cloth on top is soft and pleasant, the protector doesn't crackle and otherwise feels pretty high quality.



The only problem is that it only protects the top of the mattress. On the bright side, it slips on and off like a fitted sheet.

I usually don't write reviews, but I had been looking to buy another mattress protector for my guest room and 2 full mattress protectors for my kids when I saw this product. I had never heard about them before. I actually bought 1 king mattress protector before from protect-a-bed in the past, but honestly I was shocked when I saw how much I was going to have to spend buying 1 queen and 2 fulls. So I started researching and found Luna. Their description was similar to the protect-a-bed one and it's less expensive so I decided to give it a shot.



I was pleasantly surprised when I got my package.. they are very good quality and also offer 10 year warranty. Another thing I think it is worth mentioning is that they are an American company. Their products are all made in USA.



I would definitely recommend this product. You pay less for a better quality product.

I've been on the hunt for a breathable waterproof mattress cover since buying a mattress last year that required us to mortgage our firstborn. Any kind of fluid whatsoever voids the 20-year warranty. After trying several covers, I'm starting to wonder if "breathable" and "waterproof" are mutually exclusive.



I was initially pleased by the cover. It has high-quality stretchy sides that allowed it to easily cover our extra-deep queen-size mattress. It handled the washer and dryer just fine, which boded well for its durability.



But I've finally come to admit that I just can't sleep with it anymore, as I wake up continually through the night sweating like I've been running a marathon. I don't typically have problems like that, but both my husband and I wake drenched. As the weather has turned warmer, it's now gotten to the point that I can't fall asleep in the first place due to the feeling of overheating. After having a dream last night that I was swimming, I cried uncle and took the blasted thing off the bed. I have to find something else.



I debated between two stars (because it's just unbearable for me at this point, thus useless) and three stars (because it truly does seem well-made and fits our huge mattress without a problem). If you tend to sleep cold as well as live in a cold climate, this may be a terrific find for you. Otherwise, I would be very wary of the heat-trapping issue.



And the hunt continues...





******Update as of 12/9/2010******



Here's the reply I posted below to a number of people who have asked if I found anything that actually works without the sauna effect:



Okay, folks... we finally gave up and bought a wool mattress pad. Granted, we had to mortgage our firstborn for it, but it seems to be the best of all possible options.



Wool sounds like a bizarre option at first, so I understand if you're giving me a raised eyebrow. I cloth diaper my baby, and so I've learned--slowly--that top quality wool is actually buttery soft, durable, and remarkably water resistant despite being extremely breathable. Wool adapts to the climate much as silk does: it feels warmer when the ambient temperature is cold, while it breathes beautifully when the weather is hot. It's machine washable and naturally antimicrobial, so using this organic wool pad means that we're keeping the dust mites and other nasties at bay without exposing ourselves to various chemicals for hours a night.



With that in mind, we invested in a quality wool mattress cover from Green Mountain Diapers ([...]), a terrific home-based business beloved by the cloth diapering community. It was pricey (approximately $200 for a queen size), but the combination of our desire to protect an expensive mattress and our misery with all the previous covers sealed the deal.



Instant relief. Yep, wool repels water like a champ--you don't want to pour a bucket of water on your bed, but it's more than up to the challenge of the various 'oopses' that may come your way. Despite a hot summer and a husband who sleeps like a brick oven, we've both been very comfortable from the first night using it. It's very thin (1/4"), so it does not serve as a mattress PAD, but since we have a pillow-top anyway, that's not a problem and, in fact, we get to enjoy a bit more of the mattress feeling that led us to buy it in the first place! Straps are long enough to hold it securely to our 20" deep mattress, though that's the upper limit of their stretching ability.



So, I hate to point y'all to something so expensive, but honestly, over the course of years, it's an investment in your quality of sleep that will certainly be worth it. I do hope that helps!'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information