Tuesday 5 April 2011

Apple - macbook pro battery


I'm only posting this review because when I went to purchase the product, a previous reviewer was complaining that the product received was refurbished. I cannot speak to the validity of that claim, but I can state that the battery I received was brand spanking new. In fact, true to Apple's form, it was packaged in WAY too nice of a box with a big plastic brace to hold it in place. I swear, $20 of the list price probably went into R&D of the packaging alone!! Apple MB772LL/A Rechargeable Battery - 15-inch MacBook Pro (aluminum unibody)

I just installed my new battery, and the system profiler states it has already gone through 16 charge cycles. That isn't what upsets me however, because even though it has only gone through 16 charge cycles, it states it's full charge capacity is only at 4371 mAh. After doing some research online, I have come to the understanding that it's full charge capacity should be well over 5000 mAh- usually the full charge isn't this low until after 80ish cycles. It was a low price, and it will probably last me awhile, but it is not a new battery by far.

I know I am not the only one who gripes about the price of laptop batteries. The margins are huge on these things. But for long flights in coach you have to have two batteries to keep your MacBook pro going. I resisted for the longest time but finally had to give in. I only get about 3 hours per charge off of one of these, but then again I keep my LCD brightness cranked way up which definitely shortens battery life. It would be nice to have one of the new built in 8 hour batteries.

Whenever I buy a product that has a proprietary power source, be it a battery or ac cord, I plan ahead and buy extra OEMS while available. For I've discovered in the past that when the originals wear out or I've lost them, replacing them with OEMS are near impossible and if the manufacturer no longer makes them, the after market units are a crap shoot, and people who have OEMS for sale, usually charge considerably more for them unused, than you would have paid from the manufacturer. Buying them used, you can never be certain of the actual condition and prices are usually high there as well.





I liked my Unibody after working with it for two weeks, so I knew I was going to keep it. The battery life with heavy use gives me about 2 hours, medium, about 3.5, lite, close to 4.5. But most of my field usage is heavy, so I purchased a 2nd. It's not used nearly has much, but good to have.



Now that Apple has discontinued the removable battery unibody 15 inch, OEMS will be difficult to find in the future. For one thing I"ve learned since my recent conversion to Mac, Apple locks up batteries, like on the Ipod & Iphone, so when new models come out, your more likely to purchase a new model as you know your current model has only so many cycles before the battery needs to be replaced.



So today I just purchased another battery, giving me a total of three and will most likely purchase one more as I don't expect to upgrade my Macbook Pro for at least three years.



I would have given the battery five stars where it not for the difficulty in getting the battery on. - Macbook Pro Battery'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information