Wednesday 23 March 2011

Screwdriver Set - screwdriver set, electronics


I specifically ordered this to open my reconditioned TomTom ONE XL 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Maps of the U.S. and Canada. The battery went kaput on me and I decided to meet the challenge and change it myself. Imagine my surprise (me, a formerly of the jewelry trade and master of all things with tiny screws) when I could open the Tom Tom with neither a Phillips head nor a flathead screwdriver. I tried over a period of days with no luck; just couldn't get a grip.



Well, I quickly researched the "Torx" head, or as my hardwarian son calls it, a "star bit" and found, with his help, that small ones are only available at places like Radio Shack, and maybe not even there. So, Amazon fan that I am, I found this set for less than $5 including shipping! Cheaper than starting my car twice. Anyway, I may never use this again, but it came in less than a week, and my Tom Tom battery was changed (not for lack of obstruction on Tom Tom's part)successfully. For light electronics, watches, and other light applications, these are fine.



A couple of nice features you might note:



The case is really nice. You can't tell it from the photo, but the lid slides open and fastens behind the case. When it is fully closed, there is a clear piece of plastic that allows you to see the product inside. But rather than those fragile hinges that come on most such tool cases, this one slides back and fastens under the case, much like a scientific calculator case.



Secondly, the base of each individual tool is made of a soft rubber material, allowing one to set them up on a workbench in size order, to avoid fumbling for the correct size. I remember a jeweler who sat all his necessary tools out in front of him before he started a complex job. This will probably never be an issue for me, or 99% of you either, but hey it shows some thought anyway.



All in all, it does the job, and looks pretty nice too. Someone said these were Dollar Store quality, and I beg to differ. They aren't Craftsman or Snap On, for sure, but they are solid and attractive. I may never need this type of tool again the rest of my life, so spending more than $5 would have made me changing my own battery prohibitive, but this was worth taking a chance on. I'm glad I did. SE 6 Piece Deluxe Torx Driver Kit w/Storage Case T5-T10

These are quite low in quality, and I would not purchase again. I've used them on a couple of small projects. I expected that they would be low quality, but a couple of them weren't straight - and one had a really significant angle. This makes unscrewing such small screws, especially when tight, quite difficult.

I ordered this kit because I bent the pocket clip on my pocket knife a week and a half ago while helping a friend move...

no problem, just need to get a torx bit that fits the screws, take it off and bend it back into shape.

so I ordered this torx set from amazon last week, it arrived today and I excitedly opened the package to find them nicely ensconced in a box with a sliding lid that will help keep the small drivers from getting lost. so in a torx bit parody of the three bears, I tried the biggest and smallest bits and eventually found one that was just right. I used the use the screwdriver to remove the first of two screws, it fit perfectly and worked like a charm! Huzzah!

so after my small victory dance, I went to remove second of two screws, and the bit striped as if it were made of butter. fail.



so now my clip is in worse condition than it was before I spent money on this piece of garbage torx bit, and I'm out $8.50



normally I would be willing to attribute failure to operator error, maybe I used the wrong size (that's why I bought a set of different sizes), or maybe it wasn't fully seated in the screw head before force was applied, but it sheared the fins off perfectly to the exact depth of the screw head.



I would only recommend this kit to anyone that needs to remove one torx screw of unknown but small size, without the need to actually tighten it back up ever.

The torx worked perfectly. Most of the time cheap stuff never comes right, but this one is the exception, the screws were made with such high quality that i know they will last for long in my tool case. Great purchase!

I bought this set to use on my Benchmade Griptillian. At first everything seemed fine, but when I went to tighten things back up, the tip of the torx driver rounded off leaving it useless. My advice is to head down to Home Depot and buy a kit from them. I read the bad reviews on here but tried to remain possitive and tell myself that these other people just over tightened or something. They're just really crapy torx drivers! - Precision - Screwdriver Set - Mini Screw Bits - Electronics'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information