Wednesday 23 March 2011

Bose Headphones - qc15, headphones


Bose QC15 vs. Sennheiser PXC 450 vs. Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7b



Disclosure: I have tried all these on an airplane. I am not an audiophile. Noise Cancelation is the most important attribute to me.



The Carrying Case: All three are quite durable and stiff.

1.) Bose- the smallest, a low profile, room for an Ipod, accessories too.

2.) Sennheiser- Square shape, low profile, however not a lot of room for anything else in case.

3.) Audio Technica- Nice big case if you want to carry extra stuff (Nintendo DS, ipod, etc).



Build Quality:

1.) Sennheiser- you can tell this is built VERY well. Strong plastics, good components, thick cord. Top notch. You feel like you are getting something really high quality.

2.) Audio Technica- Nice solid construction, appears durable.

3.) Bose- If this had a Sanyo logo on the side, I would not have flinched. How can something $300 be so incredibly cheaply made.



Size:

1.) Bose- as far as over the ears go, these are pretty small.

2.) Audio-Technica- mid-sized.

3.) Sennheiser- These are big. No question, but they store flat.



Comfort:

1.) Sennheiser- Very comfortable, will fit almost any size ears. Keep on for hours.

2.) Bose- Also comfortable. I did not experience "highs" discomfort.

3.) Audio-Technica- Perfectly satisfactory. Larger opening than previous AT model.



Sound:

1.) Sennheiser- I actually wore these at home too, simply to hear parts of songs I had never heard before. Astounding. My 10yr old music collection sounded totally NEW.

2.) Audio-Technica- Well balanced, good sound.

3.) Bose- Great sound, but very heavy on the bass. I listen to a lot of rap and pop, so it was mildly annoying. I ultimately had to turn my treble settings up on my ipod to balance the sound.



Features:

1.) Sennheiser- nice cord, push to talk button (temporarily mutes NC and sound which is great for interruptions on airplanes).

2.) Bose/Audio Technica- just the basics. Bose simply an on/off switch.



Price:

1.) Audio Technica- $150 to $225 depending on how you shop.

2.) Sennheiser- $200 to $275

3.) Bose- Hard to find below $300+.



Noise Cancelation:

1.) Bose- No question here, far surpassed the other two. Best Noise Cancelation.

2.) Audio-Technica- Good Noise Cancelation.

3.) Sennheiser- Not sure what happened here. Incredible sound, satisfactory noise cancelation.



Summary:



I ultimately kept the Bose because I was only using these for flying and the Sennheiser's (as much as I loved them) let me down in the Noise Cancelation department. The Sennheiser's had by far the most superior sound, but the Bose Noise Cancelation was night and day. The Bose are made very poorly for a $300+ product, it was disappointing.



Final assessment:



Audio-Technica- best balance of value for money

Sennheiser- Best sound and comfort

Bose- Best Noise Cancelation Bose® QuietComfort® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling® Headphones

Frankly, I think these new Bose headphones put the QC-2 to shame!



I've owned both QC-2 and QC-3 headphones for for a couple years, and their predecessor before that. My home is in a rural area that over time has become increasingly noisy with automobile traffic, chain saws, weed whackers, air travel, boats, etc, so have become a great fan of noise-cancelling headphones, which for me provide respite against all this sonic assault.



When I read the specs of the QC-15, I thought, if these are an improvement over the QC-2, I'll have to try them. This in the face of feeling sheepish about blowing another $300 for what I feared might be a trivial difference in quality.



I needn't have worried. When I turned on the QC-15, it was like shutting off the world. The loud rushing sound emitted by the air filter running 15 feet away became nearly inaudible, the low rumble of distant boat, air, and automobile traffic disappeared altogether. The background hiss generated by the QC-15 is noticeably quieter than the QC-2, and the noise cancellation, as Bose advertises, covers much more of the audio range. My QC-2 headset doesn't do nearly as good job at cancelling the white noise from the air filter as the QC-15, for example.



As for sound quality, the QC-15, to my ear, has better response in the deep bass, from 25-35 hz, and les resonance in the 80-150 hz range. The bass is generally tighter as well. If you're used to the mild boominess of the QC-2, as I was, it might take you a bit of listening to appreciate the difference. In higher frequency ranges, the QC-15 seems comparable to the QC-2. My 64 year-old ears cut off arount 8 khz, so I'd defer to the judgement of younger listeners in this area.



All-in-all, I'm very happy with the improvements manifest in this new version of the Bose headphones and feel that even at $300 they're well worth it.



The only negative criticism I can make so-far is that the headphones emit a rather loud click when you turn them on, compared to the QC-2. This is not a big deal- I just make sure to throw the ON switch before putting the phones on my head.



By the way, many users of Bose (and other) noise-cancelling headphones complain , sometimes bitterly, about he sensation of "ear pressure" when the noise-cancelletion is activated. This is an illusion that arises because actual pressure on un-equalized eardrums (as when climbing or descending in an aircraft) has the effect of reducing the low frequency response of the eardrums. That loss of low-frequency sensitivity is read by the brain as pressure, which, in the case of altitude change, it actually is. Noise cancelling headphones drastically attenuate ambient low frequency sounds, many of which we register unconsciously. The brain interprets this as pressure on the eardrum, even though this is not actually the case. The sensation of pressure produced by noise cancellation is actually an indication of just how much very low frequency background sound we tolerate under normal circumstances. Research indicates that such low-frequency sounds can actually be a source of low-grade anxiety. Hence you may find that these headphones attenuate your nagging anxiety along with the background rumble generated by the pervasive combustion of fossil fuel all around us. - Bose - Bose Headphones - Qc15 - Headphones'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information