Wednesday 23 March 2011

Droid X - screen protectors, android


I bought this 2-pack of screen protectors based on the reviews here. When I got my Droid X from Verizon I picked up some of their screen protectors to hold me over. The Verizon ones were more opaque and only covered the display area of the screen, not the surrounding surfaces.



The Seidio protector was easy to install and covers the entire face of my Droid X thus offering more protection. The Seidio protectors are also crystal clear and make the display really pop. Unfortunately, they produce a ton of glare and are way more susceptible to fingerprints and smudging. Keep that in mind when buying these. Seidio Ultimate Screen Guard for Motorola DROID X - 2 Pack

This review will probably be a bit biased since I had a terrible experience with the Amzer screen protector I just replaced. For a quick background, the Amzer cost about the same ($5 for one protector) but was a complete pain to put on. There is a film which covers the outside face of the Amzer protector that was difficult to peel off after installation, and caused the other side to lift, little pieces of dust/lint in the air stick to it, and tons of bubbles from the film not sticking properly. After trying to get rid of the stuck dust (without success) and reinstalling, more bubbles appeared at the edges where the protector no longer wanted to stick to the screen. I gave up after about 10 mins.



I was afraid the Seidio would be as difficult. During install, I missed ONE piece of dust on the screen and was afraid of another permanent bubble, but since that side is not sticky the way the Amzer was (I assume, I didn't touch it) I lifted the film and the dust fell right off! My second try took about 20 seconds. And NO bubbles. Edges come very close to fitting the phone perfectly (also better than the Amzer), decent fingerprint resistance, no distortion of screen (that I can discern, at least), and good tactile feel (if the edges matched perfectly, I wouldn't be able to tell that the screen is there). I do wish the included wiping cloth were a little better at removing fingerprints (it takes several more swipes than the Amzer), although it still certainly does the job.

The Droid X is my first cell phone, and this is my first screen protector - so I can't compare this to other products. That said, I'm very happy with this product.



Application was pretty easy. Once I got the screen peeled back from the sheet it comes on and placed properly, the rest went smoothly. This comes with a microfiber cloth to clean off the Droid X screen and help remove all lint and dust, and it also comes with an applicator card (basically a plastic card the size of a credit card) to smooth it out and remove bubbles. For me, those both worked great. I think that I had one or two bubbles after putting on the screen, and the card helped me remove those easily.



This screen protector is just slightly undersized (about 1 mm in height and half that in width), which is a good thing unless you are able to get the placement perfect when you start applying it. While it won't cover 100% of the screen, it comes close and should cover every part that you'll touch.



I got experience using the bare Droid X screen for about two weeks while I waited for this product. Here are my thoughts between the bare screen and one with this on:

- With this screen applied, I actually think that it feels better to use - I'm sure that's completely personal preference.

- It seems a bit more difficult to wipe this protector clean of finger prints and oil, but it's not bad at all.

- Off-axis viewing of the screen seems slightly degraded with the protector on. Honestly, though, I'd have to remove the protector to verify that. It was just one of my first impressions, so I wanted to state it here.



Having this protector makes me less stressed that I'll scratch the screen, and I'm very happy with the quality of it and how little it changed the overall view of the screen. For the price, I highly recommend it.

Over the years, I've used Invisible Shield to protect my cell phones and other gadgets that have screens. While it did a great job at protecting, it sucked when it came to clarity and friction. It has a slightly murky "orange peel" look to it and it also added noticeable friction to dragging your finger across the touchscreens. When I got my Droid X, I went looking for another brand and decided to try Seidio after all the good reviews. WOW, what a difference! It is thinner, crystal clear and has no friction problems at all. In fact, I really can't even tell it's there.



It also was much faster and easier to apply than Invisible Shield, which required a messy spray. All I did was take about three packets of my eyeglass cleaning wipes. One to wipe down my desk of dust, one to wipe the existing finger smudges and a third for a final dust wipe of the screen. I just then peeled away and folded back about 3/4 of the screen protector backing. Starting with the bottom, I applied the protector to the screen and it immediately adhered with it's static cling magic. It was easy to peel off and reapply to get it perfectly aligned. Once I had it applied halfway up the screen and I was satisfied with the alignment, I pulled off the last 1/4 of the backing and finished the application. I then used the squeegee to rub out the minor bubbles near the edges. Easy-peazy and it clings nice and tight to the screen with no adhesive.



It may not be as strong and protective as Invisible Shield, but I'm not that rough with my gear. I just wanted something that will protect the screen from minor scuffs and scratches and this will easily do that. And unlike Invisible Shield, it's truly invisible. Best of all, this was a two-pack so I have a spare, all for almost half the cost of one Invisible Shield!



UPDATE: After 3 months of use, I got a few very small scratches on it. They are noticeable, but not significant enough yet to replace it with the second one from my 2-pack. The scratches were from my own carelessness, but I wasn't overly careless. I just wanted to let you know that they do scratch easier than the Invisible Shields. It's still worth it for their clarity and feel, so I'm keeping my rating at 5 stars. - Android - Invisible Shield - Screen Protectors - Screen Protector'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


screen protectors Droid X - screen protectors, android