Wednesday 23 March 2011

Ipad Cover - ipad, ipad stand


I purchased this case back in June of 2010, when there weren't that many choices for iPad cases, and the ones that were available were either very expensive or poorly made. Although I recently replaced the Acase after using it for six months (as a wider range of alternatives became available), I still think this is a good choice for someone looking for a cheap (fifteen dollar) flip-style case for an iPad. Here's what I like and don't like about this case:



+ The cut of the case is excellent. 100% of the screen is visible and all controls are easily accessible. There are cutouts for the light sensor and speakers. Everything lines up perfectly, unlike some of the first generation cases. You can charge the iPad easily without removing it from the case.



+ There's a retaining strap on the open end of the case to keep the iPad from falling out (another problem with some 1st gen cases). I wish it grabbed more of the corner of the iPad, but they made the strap as big as they could without interfering with the on/off switch and screen rotation-lock button. For me, this case passed the "shake test" (i.e., the iPad didn't fall out when I held the case open end down and shook it).



+ The "easel" feature allows you to prop up the iPad in landscape mode at various angles, so you can choose the angle that minimizes screen glare. The easel uses a simple step design that is adjustable over a good range, giving it an advantage over some of the magnetic designs I looked at.



+ The case folds over and covers and protects the iPad screen in transit. For my purposes, this is better than "skins" that only cover the back of the iPad. This case protects the screen and keeps it from collecting big palm prints in transit.



+ It has decent padding, to protect the iPad from bumps and falls.



+ The case is very lightweight.



And here's what I don't like about the case:



- The easel part of the case (the flap that makes it stand up) uses a magnet to hold it against the case when closed. This really messes up the compass.



- The light thread color of the stitching adds design contrast, but I'd prefer black stitching (less distracting)



- It would be nice if the inside cover were microfibre. The pockets on the inside cover look handy for storing index/business cards, but I doubt I'll use them for fear of messing up my iPad's screen.



- The manufacturer should move the snap flap to the cover side of the case, which is what's shown in the photo (in reality, the snap flap is on the iPad side of the case, which leaves the flap sticking up when the pad is in easel position).



- Like many products described as leather, this case is not leather. It's faux/synthetic/fake leather (i.e., vinyl or nauga-hide for those old enough to remember those terms). I don't mind the synthetic, but vendors should not say "leather" when they mean "fake leather."



- The padding behind the vinyl is fairly low density foam, which also means that it's a bit thicker than I'd like, which cuts into the appeal of the the super-thin iPad.



- Biggest downside: Compared to the many alternatives that are available now (January 2011) at only marginally higher prices, this case looks fairly cheap. Although style isn't that important to me, and I'm not willing to spend a fortune for a designer case, spending an extra fifteen bucks will get you a much nicer looking case these days.



Here are my current favorite alternatives:



... The Toblino leather folio-style case (http://www.amazon.com/Toblino-Leather-Folio-Convertable-Multi-view/dp/B003WGM7FU/ref=pd_ys_iyr3) -- a very nice real leather portfolio case for about thirty bucks ... my first choice for an iPad that travels a lot



... The Crystal silicone skin (http://www.amazon.com/CTCstore-Black-Premium-Crystal-Silicone/dp/B003IRR0YQ/ref=pd_ys_iyr35) -- a skin-style case that covers the back and edges of the iPad for about five dollars and is perfect if you mostly use your iPad around the house



... Any neoprene netbook sleeve (I use one that I originally bought for my HP netbook) -- these work great if you only need iPad protection in transit and like to use the iPad bare once you get where you're going Acase Deluxe Leather Multi-Angle Case/Folio with Stand for Apple iPad

I don't hate the case and I don't love it. First the Cons:



1. Material quality: thin material will not hold up for long

2. Craftsmanship: stitches are fraying after 4 weeks

3. Open in book reading position is not great - too much material causes the cover to float around. Does not lend itself to a solid feeling.

4. NO padding - don't expect this case to protect your iPad from a fall



Pros:

1. Cheap - and I do mean cheap compared to other cases

2. Kickstand: very handy for most every use - would have liked the ability to open into a natural typing position like Apple's case

3. Covers the screen, great for protection in briefcase.



Overall - I would not recommend the case, you already spent $500 plus on the device, do yourself a favor and spend $25 more and get a better case. - Ipad Stand - Ipad Leather Case - Ipad Cover - Ipad'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


ipad Ipad Cover - ipad, ipad stand