Sunday 27 March 2011

Home Theater Speaker Systems - speaker stands, speaker stand


These speaker stands seemed like a good deal, and looked good in the picture. However, they are not well built. The stands have a heavy weight plate attached to the base, but unfortunately it seems the support base is not wide enough. My speakers can tip over with the slightest nudge.



The speakers I mounted on them were Onkyo SKB-540's, I mounted the back four speakers (the left and right front and center channel are all resting on furniture). The stands are not tall enough to raise the speakers above the back of my couch (its not a high back couch either, its a bit higher than waist height).



The speaker itself rests on one single nail that is attached to the mounting bracket on the speaker and the speaker is not cushioned or supported or secured in any other way. It just kind of hangs there, and is all wobbly. The bend in the bar is too high up to accommodate the speaker, so they are all leaning back a bit, with the bottom of the speaker being pushed forward by the bend. This makes them very wobbly. You are required to attach the pole to the plastic mount that the speakers hang on, and when screwing them in, one of the screws actually broke. That was enormously frustrating, and required me to cut the plastic with a saw, and unscrew the broken screw with a pair of pliers.



They do have one convenient feature that allows you to feed the wire through the pole the speaker rests on. They are also adjustable, so I suppose that's another plus.



All in all, these stands are only worth considering if you have very small, light speakers, and hard floors (they absolutely can't rest on carpet). If you have a more robust sound system, and speakers that are larger than about 4 inches tall, I would not recommend these stands unless you are looking for something dirt cheap.



I gave them two stars instead of one because, when all is said and done, they still technically hold my speakers, and they were cheap. But if you can spend more on speaker stands, I would. SET OF FOUR Universal Speaker Stands For Surround Sound BLACK

You get what you pay for, but in this case I believe I got alittle more. Considering the price of stands, these are pretty inexpensive(about $15 apiece). I use them in my living room(tiled) so they have no problems standing up and the bottoms have a nice weight to them to make them more stable. These are just basic plain stands to suspend your speakers. I love them. I also like the fact that they are really inconspicuous.

I love the price and love the height. These stands do NOT work well with Polk Audio speakers. If you're willing to suffer the swing of the speakers for your system, it's all good. For me, not a problem; however, if you're an audiophile, and own Polk Speakers, these stands are not for you. Hence, I've rated them a 4; good for me, maybe not good for others. They are definitely well weighted and well designed. The instructions can be a little confusing at first, but after setting up the first stand, they're REALLY simple.

I didn't expect much for the money I paid for them, but I was pleasantly surprised. Although the base has a small footprint, it's weighted to help hold it steady. I purchased them for my Onkyo surround sound system. Although the speakers are probably a little large for the stands, they still hold them steady. I paid around $60 for them, and they are more than worth the price.

For anyone looking at these speaker stands, please be aware that the tops of the stands (the mounting brackets that actually hold the speakers to the top of the stand) are PLASTIC. When I looked at the pictures of the product here before purchase, the tops appeared to me to be machined aluminum. Really, they still do, even with the knowledge that they are actually plastic. I can only think that the manufacturer must have sanded the plastic really well before painting them silver and taking those pictures. The ones I received were clearly shiny molded black plastic with obvious seams and no paint on them. The rest of the stand (base, weight and pole) is sturdy metal construction with painted matte finish, in stark contrast.



The description of the stands does not give any indication that the tops are plastic either. I don't necessarily think that the plastic tops are out of line with the price of the stands, but that fact definitely needs to be made clear to the buyer. Because, to me, it seems completely counter intuitive to create a nice set of metal stands and then cripple them with a plastic top. That combined with the very metal appearance of the tops in the picture is misleading. In my case, I would never have ordered these if I knew from the beginning that the tops were plastic. And I have to wonder how many others are ultimately misled by the pictures and less than clear description.



I ended up returning these stands because I simply didn't trust the plastic to hold my speakers.



PROS:

Solid construction and decent finish on the metal portions of the stands.



CONS:

The plastic mounting brackets on these stands compromise the entire stand.

The plastic is not sanded or painted to match the metal portions of the stand, leaving a somewhat shiny finish with obvious molding seams.

Unless you have VERY light speakers, the plastic tops are going to struggle to hold them safely, especially with use and vibration.



Bottom line, I would not recommend these stands to anyone because of the plastic. I can't imagine these being safe for any but the very lightest of speakers and even then I would question how long they would last with use.



I do want to say that DiyAvSupply provided excellent customer service. They were prompt to respond, very understanding and went out of their way to make sure I was happy. - Home Theater - Bose Speakers - Speaker Stand - Speaker Stands'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information