Wednesday 12 January 2011

Computer Hardware - controller, gamepad


IN SHORT:

I use this as a WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL for itunes and media players as well as for gaming. The receiver, when plugged directly into your computer, tends to have issues with interference unless you are very close; this is resolved easily by using the expander and placing it away from sources of interference. Overall, a fantastic controller and (almost) fully programmable although some minor setbacks exist.





PROS:

-Can program different commands for EACH program! I use this gamepad as a wireless "remote" for iTunes, my media players, etc when I am away from my computer. (I output to my tv so this functionality is VERY useful)

-Programmable (EXTENSIVELY)

-Force Feedback

-Supports XInput and DInput (XInput = new standard, "auto detects" game settings; DInput = "old" standard; use this mode to program the buttons.

-Nice solid feel, buttons are crisp

-Good range, IF clear of interference (see cons)



NEUTRAL:

-When in DInput mode, it IS the rumblepad2 (or whatever Logitechs old "famous" controller was).

-In XInput, it detects as the F710 and is not programmable. (Must use the DInput to program)





CONS:

-Range suffers drastically from interference. When plugged into my pc directly, the signal failed when I was 3 feet away. However, I used the extension (that comes with it) and put the receiver on my desk and it works flawlessly from over 20 feet away in my kitchen now.

-Not all programmable functions seem to work right. In particular, I set the L/R triggers to CTRL+Up/Down in Itunes so that I could alter the volume. Although this works if bound to a different button, and the triggers work when bound to a different command, oddly enough the triggers would not work when bound to ctrl+up/down.





Unique Issue: I played "The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom" with this controller in Windowed mode and apparently windows does not recognize any input as going in. Don't get me wrong, the game worked fine, however every 5minutes my screensaver would kick in unless I moved the mouse or keyboard!! This has ONLY happened in this one game though so I am assuming it is a unique issue and not the fault of the gamepad.





Overall, highly recommended if you are looking for a gamepad for your PC; especially if you output things to your TV so you can use it doubly as a remote. Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710 With Broad Game Support and Dual Vibration Motors

I bought this a few weeks ago. It works great has VERY nice battery life. My only Con is that its reception sucks. I have to have the adapter on my desk via extender about 1 foot away to get the pad. If I face my pad at a angle and not directly at the receiver the controller will just start spinning wildly until its back in sync.

I'm so happy with this product.. Very high quality material. All the buttons click perfectly. The connection is flawless. The matte black material on the underside of the controller is very pleasant to the touch. I have average sized hands for a guy, it fits perfectly! All I had to do was stick the receiver into the USB and windows 7 downloaded the software automatically. I highly recommend this.



UPDATE- One little complaint, the LT and RT buttons on top produce too much resistance, your fingers might get a little tired from holding them down, especially if you're playing a racing game...

I'm very happy with this contoller. It was a cinch installing (windows 7) and I haven't had any compatibility issues with anything that I've run.



This controller reminds me an awful lot of the PS3 controller but is more comfortable to hold for a long period of time in my opinion. I've yet to find any sort of dead zones where there is no response for the wireless receiver.



Logitech has done it again, excellent product.

I used to have a Rumblepad II and I really loved it. The build quality was fantastic, it had a nice heft to it, and it was comfortable to use. So what was my issue with it? The receiver was huge and it was a pain to use with a laptop - which I do frequently as I travel a lot. This controller is absolutely perfect - the receiver has such a small footprint I don't expect I will even remove it from the USB port on my m15x. It comes with an optional cord, and the cord is actually really long - so if you want to set it up with a desktop and need a little extra oomph to reach the couch - you can.



The controller works perfectly with FFXI and FFXIV - although you will want to make sure that you don't have it identifying as an Xbox controller or the triggers won't work.



All in all, if you liked the build of the Rumblepad but didn't really care for the receiver brick - this is the controller for you.

Pros:

1. Very sturdy construction.

2. Ability to use both DirectInput(older PC controller standard) or XInput(new controller standard, aka Xbox 360 controller mode).

3. "sport mode" which is a button that swaps the left stick/d-pad functionality.

4. excellent control response.

5. d-pad works like a charm.

6. wireless.

7. it auto turns off after some minutes of not being used so it won't drain the batteries unnecessarily.

8. very small receiver.



Cons:

1. this uses it's own receiver instead of Bluetooth or Logitech's own unified receiver.

2. triggers are a little bit too stiff.

3. The buttons are only externally programmable in DirectInput mode.



Things to note:

1. The design can be a little cramped for people with big hands. This was not an issue to me since my hands are a little bit on the small side.

2. The design uses the "PS3" left stick/d-pad configuration. If you're an Xbox 360 controller fan it may feel uncomfortable at first, but it's nothing you can't get used to.



Overall an excellent gamepad, with very minor forgivable flaws. - Controller - Gamepad - Pc Gamepad - Logitech'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Computer Hardware - controller, gamepad logitech Computer Hardware - controller, gamepad