Wednesday 12 January 2011

Bluetooth Printer - multifunction printer, photo printer


I did a ton of research and finally decided to go with this unit despite no reviews at the time. Installation was a breeze (using Mac OS X) except for one part where it asks you to set up a print queue. After doing so, it didn't recognize it after multiple attempts. I finally decided to click past that step and it worked fine anyway.



We printed about a dozen photos over the first three days. On day 4, the printer booted up and slammed the print cartridge hard to the left, then came up with a "Carriage Jam" error. The nice thing about the touch screen is that it also visually walks you through pictures of the areas that you need to check for paper jams, etc.. Alas, after going through every trouble shooting step provided, it didn't solve the problem.



We returned it to Amazon (Very hassle free I might add--can't fault them a bit) and decided to try a second one since we did like the features. I was glad to see that Amazon ships you another even before you return the defective one. So far this one is working fine although it's only been a couple of days.



Our last HP was probably 4 years old. I have to say the print speed on this one is amazingly fast by comparison. I'm impressed it can print a 4x6 photo as fast as it does. Copy and scan work well too, although I've found I have to initiate scanning from the Mac. Didn't seem to work if I tried to use the touchscreen to scan. I was pleased how easy they make choosing options with scanning. You can scan a document straight to PDF, JPEG, TIFF, Memory Card, USB drive, OCR...



Overall, it does seem as though this printer is very well made. It's also great having a tray for both paper and 4x6 photos. Unlike so many printer reviews, it doesn't appear as though this printer is burning through much ink at all.



Although I would definitely recommend it, I can't give it 5 stars due to the issues mentioned above. HP Photosmart Premium All-in-One Printer (CD055A#ABA)

I had a not very old Epson Photo printer, the RX580, and was happy with it. However, it did not last long at all. While I may go a month or two without printing, I certainly don't expect the printer to become inoperable during downtime...

I purchased a new Mac to replace my tablet PC in July, so a few days ago for the first time I tried to hook my mac up to it, and I could not get anything to print well. After some troubleshooting and testing from other platforms, I realized that there was something wrong with the unit physically, and tossed it in the garbage and looked for a printer at a local brick and mortar.

I was half sold on getting one of the Canon all in one units, based on some favorable remarks in some of the apple forums, but the local store by me only had one model of Canon, a lesser one than I wanted, so I looked at the rest of the available printers, and narrowed it down to this HP and another HP, one step below this. The kicker for me was the bluetooth in this one, which was worth the extra $40 for me, since I run an 802.11n only network at home, and had assumed the wireless on this unit was just 802.11 b/g like most. Happily, I was mistaken.

Got it home, unboxed, and like the other reviewer said, this is a nicely sturdy, well built, solid home printer.

As usual, I downloaded the most current version of the software and driver rather than relying on the CD to be current, and indeed the CD had been superceded. The download and install went fine, so when it started nagging me about where the printer was, I hopped into the printer and set up the wireless just to see, since it actually saw my 802.11n network. Sure enough, entered my encryption key, and there it was. And instantly my mac found it, and the install completed.

One thing to note, the little paper manual that came with it didn't seem to have anything in there regarding setting up the unit, so I'm going to assume detailed instructions are probably on the CD in PDF or TXT files somewhere. But I was able to get the wireless going without any documentation, the touch screen is very well designed and extremely simple to follow. The flow for printing or setup is well thought out.

So I did some printing, both of 4x6 as well as some 8 1/2 x 11 photos, and they turned out just excellent. Superb, better than I had hoped for, and certainly faster than I had expected.

I will also add that the printer loves to do the samba, especially the 8 or 9 minute "first run" it does the very first time you power it on. But it gives the status right on the LCD, and a timer counting down so you know how long it will be. I'm assuming the wiggles after printing are probably cleaning off the heads and parking them to seal them again between print jobs.

I haven't tried the duplexer yet, but as the other reviewers mentioned, scanning is just as simple and as high quality as the printing.



After I knew it worked and was happy with it, I hopped back into the on screen menu and checked the bluetooth settings, then added it via bluetooth to my mac, and a minute later, was printing via bluetooth.



One surprise was that it actually came with a USB cable for those who will use one - something I'm not used to seeing bundled with printers.



Another nice feature for me is the front paper load - after the Epson I just tossed, it's nice to be able to get at the paper right in the front, rather than feeding from the top in the back. Makes it easier on my shelf in the computer armoire, i don't have to roll it out and play around trying to find where things fit back there out of sight.



The finish is nice. And the mac software works well, haven't booted to my Windows 7 install yet to see how it works there, but I would be surprised if I had any problems on the windows side. This is not my first HP printer, and if it performs and lasts as well as my others have, I will be more than happy with it.



I purchased mine without any review searches at all, since it was an impulse grab at the store when the one I was looking for wasn't available, but I'm glad it wasn't, as this one has a few more features and works better than I could have hoped. - Photo Printer - Wireless - Hp - Multifunction Printer'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information