Tuesday 23 November 2010

Inexpensive


I only print about 30 pages/year & am thoroughly burned out on blocked inkjet printers.

This was easy to set up - the Mac actually asked to download the drivers! So far fast and clear prints for the price of 2 ink cartridges. Brother Printer HL-2220 Monochrome Printer

This is the third Brother monochrome laser printer I have owned. I was really happy with my first two and so when I needed a new printer, I bought the HL 2220 immediately. I wish I hadn't. There are two serious problems with it. The first is that it is very noisy and it takes a long time (15 minutes or longer) to go into sleep mode. At this point, I simply turn the printer off when not actually printing. The second (and this is more serious) is that it generally does not print an entire document. Instead, it simply stops after a few pages and I have to hit the resume button. This is more than just an annoyance as it only prints part of a page in the first print job before resuming and printing out the document. Thus it wastes a considerable amount of paper. I updated the firmware from the Brother website but it did not help. Frankly, it is not that hard making a laser printer that actually works and I am disappointed that Brother did a poor job with this printer. It does, however, do a nice job of printing text as did all my other Brother printers. I'll update this if I ever get the problem fixed.

Well, my printer just arrived today. Though it took a few days for the order to process, it only took 2-days to ship.



PROS:

This is a nice fairly compact laser printer. It's easy to set up. Print quality is clear and has nice contrast. When I bought this printer it was only $69.99 with free shipping, but I see now in less than a week later it's gone up to $89.99 + Shipping costs. For the price I paid I'd say this was a great deal.



CONS, but not a deal breaker:

I would've given it 5-stars except for a few points: 1) No USB cable included. It seems to be a fairly common practice with companies these days, but it's annoying. These cables don't cost that much (Belkin high speed USB for $4.95 on Amazon) but it's an inconvenience to have to order it separately. And because they don't cost much, how much is any electronics company saving vs. keeping their customers happy? 2) The printer is fairly noisy even in standby mode. However, it eventually goes into power save mode when not in use for long and that is completely noise-free. 3) Printing quality, though excellent, is not as good as my 10-year old Brother laser printer specifically when dealing with grayscale. These three points are things to consider, but I do believe they are only worthy of loss of 1-star.



This is a great printer for a small or home office that doesn't require high-output printing.

I wanted a reliable, low-cost laser printer that wouldn't bleed me dry paying for new ink cartridges. This one is perfect. It was very easy to get up and running. The print quality is as good as it gets, and there's nothing complex or involved about it to have to devote useless time to learning. It's not as small and pristine white as the picture makes it look -- mine is a dove gray color and does take up some room on my desk, but that's the small stuff. Also, I don't use it every day, so I can't rate it for high volume print jobs. But for the occasional letter, it really is a good little machine. Very glad I bought it.

This a very reliable printer that is very fast and low cost excellent printer

The only con typical of all of them is the slight fan hum which leaves when it hibernates after 5 minutes

I own 5 now for my small business office'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information