Tuesday 23 November 2010

Cleaning Tools - cleaning, 3m


... I purchased this item to remove some debris off my camcorder lens and found it to do the job very nicely.



The microfiber texture feels nice - a little beady, but soft and textured.



Using it was easy, I just wiped the lens in a circular fashion with light pressure and eventually the debris was gone. (some fingerprints and what appeared to be a scratch but wasn't)



The packaging is a little subpar though. It comes in a plastic bag which you tear open at the bottom to slide the cloth out. However doing so leaves adhesive residue, which the cloth then sticks to and you have to tear it off, making those sections of the cloth appear phyically different - a bit roughed up I'd say. This is poor design as the packaging says to store the cloth inside the bag when not in use to avoid contamination, so I used a scissor to cut the bottom of the bag with the adhesive residue off.



I've yet to machine wash it, but so far it works well. It's just a cheap lens cleaning cloth after all. 3M Microfiber Lens Cleaning Cloth, Color May Vary, 1 Count

I probably never would have considered purchasing this cleaning cloth without having it recommended to me in an article about Treo 650 (smartphone) accessories.



Using anything other than a cleaning cloth designed for these sensitive surfaces can lead to scratches and permanent damage.



I carry it in my laptop case and use it almost daily, both to remove the oily residue left by my fingers that quickly builds up on my Treo's touchscreen, but also to keep my laptop computer screen sparkling.



It's fast, it's easy and it's a safe and inexpensive way to protect your investments.

I had never heard of these things before nor had I heard anybody talk about them...I just randomly bought them from amazon and I have to tell you...if you wear glasses...these are ABSOLUTELY INDISPENSIBLE. It's honestly, besides maybe my mp3 player, my toothbrush, and my wallet, the only item I use daily and it is a very effective product for its size and price. I use them almost exclusively on my glasses but they say you can use them on all kinds of stuff like computer monitors and so on...I have yet to try it on them, but when you wipe these things over your lenses, there is a definite feeling of them getting clean...If you're looking for a pocket sized solution to keep things clean, this is it.

This product has been renamed to 3M Lens & Electronics Microfiber Cleaning Cloth - the "& Electronics" part is new. It used to be the best product for cleaning eyeglasses - mine have an anti-glare/anti-reflective coating and the old cleaning cloths did a wonderful job of cleaning them. I bought 5 more for myself and for stocking stuffers at Christmas, and along with the new name, there apparently is a new formulation because they now leave tiny specks all over my glasses which have to be WASHED OFF. I called 3M "customer service" directly about this and the young lady at the other end of the line was cutesy, apologetic, but clueless - and didn't even offer a refund or replacement (I did not ask for one - that's their job the way I look at it). Too bad to lose such a great product.

Microfiber work very well as eye glass cleaning cloth. Because it clean on a microscopic scale, some tests suggest microfiber cleaning reduce bacteria by 99% compare to 33% using conventional cloth. That's why I use it to clean the frame too.



As mentioned by others, the microfiber cloth itself is soft enough to not scratch but whatever it picks up may. For that reason, I never leave the microfiber cloth in my pocket or bag. I carry it inside a small pouch.



If 3M make the cloth bigger and attach a pocket to it so cloth can be folded into the pocket when not used, it will make the product "safer" to use and easier to carry.

A lot of work when into making this cloth, excellent for cleaning lenses of all kinds: glasses, video and digital cameras, etc. If you care about your lenses health, this is the cloth to buy, congrats 3M!

These microfiber cleaning cloths by 3M are far and away my favorite lens cleaning cloths. When I first discovered these a few years ago, I was looking for a small, portable cleaning cloth for my eye glasses that I could keep in a front pocket. What I discovered when first trying the cloth was that the particular weave of the fabric, combined with the material used in its manufacture makes these cloths incredibly effective against all types of smudges, grime, dust, and so on. In fact, so effective that no cleaning fluid is needed at all to achieve a spotless shine! But what I was even more impressed to find out was that these cloths are so well constructed that they easily can be used to clean the lens on a digital camera or camcorder with little concern that the lens itself would be damaged by its use.



The reason for this seems to be the particular weave employed in these cloths. Resembling a slightly bumpy weave, the texture helps capture dust and dirt without scratching the surface of the glass, and the effect is so powerful that, as I say, the use of cleaning fluid is rarely needed. I've used these cloths on all my photographic equipment, and if one just takes the time to gently and smoothly wipe the lens surface, the result is a crystal clear surface with no apparent scratching damage. I've also used these cloths with cleaning fluid on occasion, and the effect has been excellent, but for most cases, the fluid is unnecessary.



I keep a number of these cloths at hand all the time, one in my pocket, one with my camera case, and even one for use on the LCD screen of both my laptop and my desktop monitor. These cloths are so effective that they are easily worth many times their price. When they get extremely dirty over months of use, they can be laundered and reused. The cloths come in gray, blue, and yellow, and each color type works as effectively as the other.



These are a great piece of "equipment" to keep all your lenses, glasses, and computer monitors clean and dust free. See the difference in your eye glasses after you've polished them up with one of these 3M microfiber cloths. - 3m - Microfiber Cloths - Glasses - Cleaning'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information