Monday 3 October 2011

Sony Wireless Headphone - sony wireless headphones, cordless headphones


I can't believe that I haven't found reviews for this product! I got a system so my wife could listen to the TV while watching in bed and not have the sound disturb others. I got this one because -1- it is RF as opposed to infrared so if she goes into another room she can still hear the sound, -2- has "drop-in" inductive charging of the rechargeable batteries as opposed to teeny-tiny contacts, -3- is from a well-known manufacturer as opposed to some off-brand, -4- it had switch-able frequencies to diminish the chance of interference with other 900MHz devices (I had to look at Sony's website for that), -5- the price is reasonable because of the quality reputation of Sony, and -6- it was available from [...] as opposed to some fly-by night company.

I was very pleased to find that it had arrived with the right cable (mini stereo to RCA L&R plugs) AND it works with devices that have RCA jacks OR mini stereo jacks because the transmitter has both types! We are fortunate that the TV has a headphone jack (unusual for the size of the tube) and it cuts off the TV speaker.

The sound in the headphones is amazing - so much better than sound from the speakers in any of the TVs in the house. I may get some of these instead of a surround-sound system for the family room. Sony MDR-RF925RK 900 MHz Analog RF Wireless Headphone

My Background: University degreed in electonics



(1) Problems:

Excessive popping sounds. Many reasons and theories on the Internet about popping sounds in wireless headphones. After a great deal of trouble shooting, I found that the power on/off switch in the headband was the culprit. The switch and assembly are as designed and manufactured properly HOWEVER, the switch is 'cheap' and momentary, i.e., when a small plunger in the switch is depressed the power goes on; off when the plunger is released. The switch is activated when the headset is put on causing a small slide to depress the plunger when the headband is set onto the head. Yes I did take it apart. I replaced the switch with an external manual operated on/off switch and the popping is gone. The problem is two-fold the provided switch is 'cheap' and the whole headset mechanism must have been designed and tested by a people with large heads full of hair. I wear hat size 7 1/4 and am bald. When the headset is positioned over my ears, the provided momentaty switch barely closes and any motion on my part causes it to turn off/on and pop. REALLY BAD DESIGN.



(2) A tingling shock whenever I picked up the base unit. Plastic case and pretty much DC so why a tingling shock? Yes I took it apart. I found that the component pigtails of the printed wiring board contacted the outer case and that the grounds associated with the RCA jacks connecting the base unit to the TV set were also touching the case. The plastic case is an insulator but is quite prone to electrostatic build up which in turn acts as a conductor between the TV set and itself. Trimming all of the 'long' pigtails solved the shocking problem. Really BAD MANUFACTURE.



I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND BUYING THIS PRODUCT.

These Sony headphones are my fourth try with wireless headphones, and these Sonys are the best so far. My first wireless headphones were IR based (infrared), which left me totally underwhelmed in terms of sound quality and line-of-sight range. My next phones were Sony's older 900Mhz RF model, which I used regularly for at least three years until last week. These new RF925RK headsets are like awesome compared to the older Sony set. There is little or no background noise (dead quiet), and the ear pads are larger so they completely cover the ears. In fact, the inner ear pads are ergonomically profiled to fit over the ear (asymmetrical - left and right are different). The new Sony uses an induction charging base, which sure beats the heck out of the previous method of lining up those tiny contact pins -- always a hassle. Sound fidelity is not my principal concern, as I am not an audiophile, but clarity and richness is appreciated. These Sony phones sound terrific! Oh, one other thing. I can't stress enough how important it is that Sony wireless Rf phones turn themselves off automatically when you removed them from your head. Also, the Sony rechargable AAA batteries can be replaced with regular Alkaline AAAs in a in case you forget to charge-up these phones.

Having a hearing loss we had to keep the T V louder than normal. This solved the problem as the family can listen to the T V at normal level, and I can hear with the wireless headphones. And they are glad that I no longer ask, "what did they say?"



The reception quality is good, and walking to different rooms, I did not loose reception.



I hooked the transmitter to the T V using the extra audio jacket on the T V. This way the T V sound stays on. This was not in the hook up information instructions. If you hook the receiver to the phone jack, it disables the T V speakers.



A connecting cord (phone plug, stereo miniplug) comes with it. I bought an extra one. That way I plugged the connecting cord into the headset jack on the radio, and the other one into headset jack on the receiver of the headless phone. This way I can leave the transmitter (which holds the headset also) in one spot. If both the radio and TV are on at the same time, you can just disconnet one, otherwise when listening to only one, you just pick up the headset, and it turns on automatically, and you don't have to do anything.



For the price, it can't be beat. - Sony - Sony Wireless Headphones - Headphones - Cordless Headphones'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information