Thursday 13 October 2011

Indoor Tv Antenna - hd antenna, antenna


First, I live in a suburban community approximately 14 miles SW of most of the TV transmitters in my region (according to [...]). So my review is probably best applicable to anyone who lives in a suburb outside a major city. If you don't fit this category, then please take my review with a huge grain of salt.

(actually, everyone should take EVERY review of these TV antennas with a grain of salt)



So after the official switch to DTV, we continued to use an amplified rabbit ears with loop antenna...with horrible results. We would have to continually turn and extend/retract and kick and scream at the antenna just to try to get a decent picture from one channel. And when we wanted to change channels, the same chaos would ensue again. Finally, fed up with the loop antenna's performance (and more importantly, someone broke one of the ears while adjusting!) I went to the local big box store. There were many non-amplified models available, but I felt that an amplified antenna was necessary for my home and chose this model simply as it was the cheapest amplified antenna available.



Set up is as easy as it gets. The cable to your TV/converter box is already attached at one end to the antenna, so you just plug in the other end to the amplifier, which in turn is plugged into the tv/converter box. If you want to attach the stand to make the antenna stand upright, then make sure to feed the cable first through the stand before attaching. The amplifier is powered by a small AC adapter, so you'll need to plug that in too. There is no on/off switch or power adjuster for the amplification.



After the hookups, you'll probably have to play around with the antenna to find just the right right spot and angle. Let me repeat that: the right spot AND angle. This was quite an event for me. It took me a good hour to find the perfect spot and angle to achieve close to perfect results. And I say close to perfect because with the final optimal placement, I can pull in all my local channels cleanly with the exception of one. My placement is a bit funky, I had to place it a little distance away from the tv next to the window. Also, I had to make sure the antenna cable sits on top of the antenna, sort of like a teeter-totter, in order to get the optimal results. Other than that one channel not coming in, I no longer have to fidget with the antenna anymore!



As for the amplification, in my case it made a huge difference! Without the amplifier plugged in, I probably picked up about 20% of the channels available..all with poor signals. The amplifier does help the antenna pick up most of the remaining channels while also enhancing the signals of the original channels.



Granted, I still cannot achieve 100% tv perfection that a monthly subscription to cable/satellite would give me, but investing a month's worth of cable for ALMOST 100% perfection is worth it. Terk FDTV2A Omni-Directional Amplified Flat Digital HDTV Antenna (Black)

Reviewing an antenna is difficult. I could tell you about which channels I get easily with the Terk FDTV2A (ABC, FOX, MyTV, CW, PBS) and which channels I really don't (CBS, NBC), but you don't live in my apartment, so that doesn't do you any good. What I can tell, you, however, is that this antenna doesn't seem to pick up any more channels than the other antennas I've tried, the RCA ANT1500 (returned to retail store) or Amplified Monoprice Antenna (currently in guest room).



None of this is to say that the Terk FDTV2A is bad antenna, because it's not, but it's certainly no better than other things out there on the market. The Terk is definitely the best looking of the bunch, and I really like the included stand, which gives you more flexibility in setting it up. The antenna feels well-made and solid, the cables appear to be of a good quality. I'm reasonably happy with my purchase, even though it was more expensive than others, but I'm not blown away.



The one thing I really don't like about the Terk FDTV2A is that none of the cables and cords can be easily replaced. The coaxial cables are integrated directly into the both the antenna and amplifier; you can't just unscrew the cable from either and replace it with something else. The power cable (AC adapter) is similarly integrated into the amplifier. If you wanted to use a custom length of coaxial cable (in my case, I would have like to use shorter cables), or damaged the AC adapter and needed to replace it, you're pretty much out of luck, save for taking the unit apart and rewiring it. If you needed to lengthen the coaxial cable, you could use a female-to-female barrel connector, but I assume you would start degrading your signal at some point. This whole design seems to create an unnecessary rat's nest of wires behind my television.



I also looked at the Terk FDTV1A, which seemed to be the same antenna, but slightly larger. I don't know if a larger antenna would pull in more channels or not, so I went with the smaller FDTV2A given my limited space. I'm sticking with what I have... something different might yield better results, but at this point, I'm tiring of trying out antennas and just want to park myself on the couch and enjoy some television! - Indoor Tv Antenna - Indoor Antenna - Antenna - Hd Antenna'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Indoor Tv Antenna - hd antenna, antenna hd antenna Indoor Tv Antenna - hd antenna, antenna