Thursday 13 October 2011

Dip Station - pull up bar, exercise


The bar itself is great. The mounting instructions could use some work, though. They assume you're going to use screw anchors to mount it in wallboard, and I'm not convinced. Since the mounting holes are not on 16" centers I bolted the pullup bar itself to a 2x10x36" board using 1/4" nuts and bolts and then used 1/4" lag screws to screw the board to 3 studs, 3 screws per stud. After all that it's pretty solidly mounted, but it took some work. Maximum Muscle Trainer Wall-Mounted Pull Up Chin Up Bar

This bar works great once you have it set-up. The set-up is very difficult as the holes to put the bolts to attach it to the wall through are not 16 inches apart like most studs in a house so I needed to drill two 2*4's across the studs so that I had something secure to attach the bar to. The drywall attachment did not work as the bar pulled right out of the wall. Once I had it set-up it worked great though.

It's a very sturdy pull up bar once you get it installed. If you are putting this up on a brick wall you will have no problem with installing it. However, if you plan on using studs on a wall, you better pack a lunch. Most studs are separated by sixteen inches. The design of this product is flawed because the wall support frame is between 12 and 15 inches. I ended up putting this up in a different location than i wanted too because of this problem.

This was exactly what I wanted...and the price was awesome compared to other pull up bars ranging from $100-$200. I have a concrete wall and it mounted just fine after drilling a few holes. It comes with nuts & bolts, washers, and nylon plugs for after you drill holes in the wall. The bolts that go into the wall are roughly 3 to 4 inches, so it does hold up pretty well. I used a 3/8" for my drillbit when drilling holes. Make sure you have a wrench or at least a set of pliers because these are bolts, not screws(you can't use a phillips or flathead screwdriver on them). Definitely a good buy for its price considering it is a pull up bar AND a dipping station.

Not hard to mount and plenty strong for me at 180 lbs. The rubber grips on the end would rotate easily and the black finish on the side bars is way too slippery to hold on to while doing pullups. I wrapped it with sticky athletic tape now it works great.

Everything about product as expected (I did a bit of research and read pro's and con's to many different products. Make sure mounting surface is solid for all eight lag bolts! I am 6'6" and 225 lbs., every bolt went into solid 2x4 after predrilling holes (installed in an unfinished part of my basement). I borrowed a friend's Iron Gym and holding my knees up because my feet were dragging on the ground simply didn't work for me (I was hoping it would've been a power ab workout!) Some reviews warn to replace supplied lag bolts which I ignored...until the head snapped off one that I was trying to backout because I forgot a washer. I ended up replacing all of them to be sure. I don't think you can really beat this product for the money. Shipping was free through Amazon and I got it within 5 days! PS- my next purchase will be some weight training gloves, my hands sure are sore!

This is a great bar -- plenty sturdy. Jut mount it to a 2 x 10 or 2 x 12 and then mount the board to your studs with big lag screws with washers. Just be sure to pre-drill the screw holes (especially for the lag screws, as you do not want to split your studs vertically).



By the way, the plastic sleeves are to be used in concrete walls, not drywall, which will obviously not hold your weight. Just saying, as there seemed to be a bit of confusion in some reviews.

For the price this unit is great and works well; however, you will need to mount it on a board and then connect the board to the wall studs since the unit doesn't line up with the 16" on center studs. In addition, I opted to connect the board with large lag bolt and the actual unit with nuts and bolts, so I had to offset the mounting board with spacer boards to allow this. One other thing, this unit can be used as a dip station; however, the unit must be installed high for use as a chin up bar, so to use it as a dip station some sort of step would need to be put in to allow the user easy access. - Chin Up - Exercise - Chin Up Bar - Pull Up Bar'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information