Thursday 29 September 2011

Woodworking - dust, filter


I have always used the cheap rubberband style face masks when I needed filtration from my woodworking endeavors and until recently thought that was enough. I watched a good little video from Marc Spagnolo ([...]) on the importance of properly stopping the dust from entering your lungs and was convinced I needed to upgrade. With his recommendations I went to the local Blue home improvement store and tried on both the 7500 series and 6500 series of mask. There is no comparision to how much more comfortable the 7500 series are. This particular item won't come with and cartidges or filters so you'll have to go down to the local Blue home store and pick them up or order them with your purchase of the mask. Also the Blue store only had medium and I felt they were a little small(although a proper fit was obtained with the medium). I ordered the large and am happy I did. Additionally the downfiring exhaust is awsome. I didn't once get a safety glass fog up.



As a side note If you don't order the cartidges with your purchase of the mask I recommend going 1 of two different ways.

1. Either purchase the standard organic filter (3M R6022 Organic Vapor Cartridge/Filter) which will cover most of your household needs and then additionally purchase the filter adaptor(3M #502 RESPIRATOR FILTER ADAPTER 2/PKG) and P100 filters (3M R-2091 Particulate Filter P100, 4-Pack). The standard particulate filter that comes with the organic filter is only rated to P95. For woodworking it's highly recommended that you go with a p100 filter better safe I always say!



2. Your other option is to purchase the organic vapor/acid gas/p100 filter (P100 / Organic Vapor / Acid Gas, 3M 6000 Series Cartridges, Pink/Yellow (2 Per Package)) and get total coverage for anything you'll ever expereince in the household environment.



I would for sure purchase this system again and If I need a filter for the wife I'll be buying one for her as well. 3M 7500 Series Reusable Half-Facepiece; Model 7503; Size: Large

I have found this to be a great product. It fits well, does not fog up my glasses and is comfortable for long periods of time. If you are just using it for protection from dust you will need 3M 2097 or 2091 filters.

The only complaint is that I had trouble finding the dust filters locally.

The 3M-7503 is their size large and fits me very well, but my hat size is XL.

I use 3M's 2097 filters, which are recommended for mold remediation

(with their full face mask).



While doing yard work,

I have been using disposable paper dust masks,

which fogged my eyeglasses with every exhalation.

By the end of a session, my eyes would be burning,

and I would be sneezing and could barely wait to remove the mask.



Thanks to 2097 filtration and the 7503's the good fit and exhaust valve,

I was almost reluctant to remove it after a longer than usual yard session.

Noted drawbacks: mild plastic odor and moisture accumulation inside

the mask and masked facial area, so regular rinsing and cleaning are wanted.

3M now offers lower restriction filters, but they are not widely available,

and I do not find the 2097 filters objectionably restrictive.

This respirator was recommended to me by Marc Spagnolo (aka the "Wood Whisper"). Simply put, the mask does not restrict breathing, is comfortable even over long time periods, and does, as near as I can tell, a first-rate job of protecting my lungs. If you are a woodworker, this is a must have.

I feel stupid for not doing this years ago. I've probably even spent as much on disposable masks as I did on this, and those only annoy me to the point of not using them for very long.



With the correct filters, I feel invincible in this thing! Lately, I've been working 8-hour days in my attic around a lot of insulation, saw dust, and slate dust from a recent roofing job, and I feel totally invincible.



AND - it isn't even uncomfortable. I'm truly surprised.



I bought the large. I am about 6'1", 185 lbs. My head looks normal (I think), but I always need large helmets and hats. The large fits great.

Used in conjunction with 2097 filters to work around sawdust and fiberglass insulation and seems to work quite well. Can finally use my glasses now while working since it exhausts downward. I believe the mid size one might also fit and I'll consider that size if I need to replace since this one does feel like it might be on the verge of being too large depending on how I move my head while working (it stretches causing a slight release of the seal against my face momentarily). Used a 3M white filter over my face prior to this and it was a pain to use since it didn't seal well and it allowed air to exhaust up into my glasses.

This is a great mask. I use it for Painting all sorts of automotive and aircraft paints and its perfect. It seals nicely to your face and is comfortable for long periods. I bought a large i am 6ft with an athelitic build if you are smaller in stature I would get a medium. Dont forget to buy filters.

My previous mask was the 3M 6000 series. Below are some differences I noticed:



6000 series:

-appears to be made of nitrile rubber and has a stronger odor when new

-uses rubber valves that can warp over time, especially if exposed to heat or sunlight

-elastic band can become stretched over time, requiring adjustment



7000 series:

-made of silicone which has little odor when new

-larger intake and exhaust valves make it a bit easier to breathe

-valves are made of silicone and less likely to warp

-thicker elastic band does not stretch



Neither mask (large) fits my long, narrow face particularly well, but my guess is the softer silicone would fit more comfortably and provide a better seal for most. I use this mask with either the 3M P100 particulate filters or 3M R6001 organic vapor filters. The mask work very well with either filter. - 3m Respirator - Respirator - Filter - Dust'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Woodworking - dust, filter 3m respirator Woodworking - dust, filter