Tuesday 2 August 2011

Weather Alert Radio - emergency radio, weather radio


I have to think that there is tremendous quality control variability with this radio based on the wildly different reviews.



I'm a radio geek and have been collecting radios for the last 40 years. When I saw the ad for this Midland I just had to have it. I thought it would be a perfect addition for my camping adventures. The radio seems to be totally loaded with just about anything you would need. It has a GRMS/FRS 2-way radio, an AM/FM radio, a weather radio, a clock with alarm and even a 3 LED flashlight. Add to this the fact that it runs on both alkaline and a wind-up rechargeable battery! Wow.



Sadly, none of the functions work very well. Both the AM and FM reception are very subpar. AM reception could only receive the strongest stations and they bled over adjacent frequencies. Many stations that I could pick up on a cheap pocket radio could not be picked up on this radio. FM was worse, only picking up a couple of very powerful local stations.



Weather band worked, but only barely. I was able to pick up many more channels on a little Grundig/Eton wind-up.



FRS/GRMS radio functions were similarly mediocre to poor.



Cranking was more awkward than on other emergency radios that I have used including those by Freeplay and Grundig.



On a positive note, the LED flashlight is nice and the clock/alarm is also a nice feature. You also get a lot of accessories, including an external mic, both car and AC chargers and a carrying strap.



Overall, I was disappointed by this radio. The fact that others like it suggests to me that there may be a lot of variability between radios. However, in general, I would pass on this radio. There are many inexpensive GRMS/FRS radios that would do a better job. If you are looking for a good emergency broadcast band radio check out those made by Freeplay or Grundig/Eton. Midland XT511 22-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Emergency Crank Radio

If you are looking for an Emergency 2 way radio, look no further.



Pros:

1. AM/FM - These are not Bose speakers, but they are clear. It works just like portable battery powered radios. This is useful in emergencies when the TV and cable are knocked down so you can get news from stations that are still transmitting. I take it out with me on my patio and just listen to music or news.



2. Multiple power source - Can run on Alkaline, included Rechargeable battery pack, AC socket, DC through the cigarette lighter, or just cranking to recharge the batteries. With all those sources of energy, you will never run out of power.



3. 5 Watt GMRS Radio - It truly is powerful. Just as strong as my professional radios. Excellent as a base station when traveling or trying to look for help in an emergency.



4. Portability - It comes with a strap so that you dont have to hold it when moving about. It also has a handle so you have a firm grip when carrying it.



5. LED flashlight - You will never be in the dark. I have tried leaving it on the whole night and it still had have charge. I just used the crank to fully charge it again.



6. Weather-proof - I actually used it when there was a one week heavy downpour here LA. It got wet in the rain, but it did not fail.



7. VOX - It has 3 levels of sensitivity. At level 1, it is so sensitive that it will transmit if someone in the room speaks.



8. External Speaker Mic - It is very clear and is functional. It uses the same connectors as my Professional Icom handheld radio, so you can even upgrade the Speaker mic if you wish.



Cons:

1. Durability - As a base station, or if you don't drop it it is perfectly fine. It is not built to withstand a drop on a hard surface like Professional radios. This is an emergency base station so, you aren't expected to treat it like a walkie talkie. They never stated that it is as durable as a professional radio, so I was not expecting it. So it isn't such a big deal.



2. No carrying case - It would have made it more useful if they included a small bag where you can put this and the accessories, as well as some basic emergency supplies. But, again, this was something I knew that was not included so, it is just a nice to have.



Summary:

It does everything it says it can do, and does it very well. If you were caught after an earthquake, this is the equipment you will need to have with you. It delivers what it promises, and is better than the other Midland Walkie talkies.



*****UPDATE APRIL 2, 2010********

I performed a distance and clarity test.



Test equipment:

1. Midland XT511($65)

2. ICOM F21 4 WATT PROFESSIONAL RADIO($200)

3. ICOM F40GT 4 WATT PROFESSIONAL RADIO($500)



Test Scenario:

1. My wife standing on the balcony of my house. She has both the Midland and the ICOM F40GT.

2. I will stop every 1 mile and get down from the car and I will use the ICOM F21 to talk to her.

3. I will ask her to communicate first with the Midland, then the ICOM.



Test results:

Mile 1:

1. Midland - I can hear her and understand her without static or noise. The audio quality was a little muffled and was not as loud as the ICOM.



2. ICOM - I can hear her and understand her without static or noise. The audio was noticeably louder and clearer than the Midland.



Mile 2:

1. Midland - I can still talk to her. There is some static and a little noise. The audio did not drop.

2. ICOM - Just as good as it was at 1 mile. No static or noise.



Mile 3:

1. Midland - Barely audible. Trails in and out.

2. ICOM - Noticeable static and noise, but I can still communicate without drop of audio.



Summary:

The ICOM can reach further and is clearer than the Midland in transmit and receive, but it still does what it was meant to do and it does do it well, standing up to an ICOM. But keep in mind that the ICOM is just a tranceiver, it does not have any of the many functions of the Midland. I still give this 5 stars for function and excellent value. - Radio - Emergency Radio - Weather Radio - Gmrs'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information