Tuesday 2 August 2011

Amplified Antenna - tv antenna, hdtv antenna


I rarely write reviews for things that don't make immediately positive impressions (or horrible ones), and this was one of the positive ones. To be brief, with this antenna I now receive signal strengths between 64-74% on a couple stations 38 miles away that I didn't get before! I did a test of signal strengths among six different stations; first with rabbit ears and then with the amplified signal of this new RCA ANT1650. The rabbit ears averaged a signal strength of 51.66% (with a low of 32% and a high of 74%). The ANT1650 received an average signal strength of 90.16% (with a low - among the tested stations - of 67% and a high of 100%)!



This product was also very easy to set up. I connected the antenna to the detachable amplifier with a coaxial cable and then connected the amplifier to the TV with another coaxial cable. I then plugged in the power adapter for the amplifier (it will work about as well as rabbit ears with the amplifier's power adapter unplugged), turned on the TV, did an auto-channel search, deleted some analog stations, and was good to go. The flat antenna part can be situated in a variety of ways so as to get the best signal. You can attach it to the wall with two screws, you can set it upright with a stand (kind of like a picture frame), or you can lay it flat. For our situation, it worked best in an upright position so as to avoid being heated up by other equipment. Because it's rather inconspicuous as a shape and color, it looks good as well - certainly much better than our tv's previous rabbit ears. The only thing better would be if the tv worked without this item in the first place.



Here are the signal strength results from six test stations. I tested the rabbit ears on a clear morning and tested the ANT1650 on a clear afternoon of the same day. Both antennas were placed in the same location, which wasn't necessarily ideal for the ANT 1650:



With rabbit ears and clear windless weather:



Station A: 51%

Station B: 42%

Station C: 32%

Station D: 74%

Station E: 61%

Station F: 50%



With amplified ANT1650 propped vertically and clear windless weather:



Station A: 94%

Station B: 67%

Station C: 93%

Station D: 100%

Station E: 100%

Station F: 87%



I have since done a follow-up test with the ANT1650 laid flat and it averaged slightly better at 92%, even under windy conditions.



With amplified ANT1650 laid flat and clear windy weather:



Station A: 89%

Station B: 93%

Station C: 99%

Station D: 85%

Station E: 100%

Station F: 86%



To summarize, most of the stations look and sound great with the antenna just laying flat. Once in awhile, a problem station cuts in and out, and you have to prop the antenna up. In my case, it was just one station that was problematic. Not a big deal, though design-wise, they might've made it easier to prop up the antenna by having a built-in stand swing out of the backside. RCA ANT1650 Flat Digital Amplified Indoor TV Antenna

I live in the metro Atlanta area and according to the antenna web site I am 25 - 35 miles away from the transmission from the various broadcasting stations. I set this up without attaching the amplifier and am able to pick up the channels with great quality. I use this for a TV on the upper floor of my 2 story house, and ordered a 2nd for my main level TV. Hooked it up and it works fine as well.



I use these as a backup to my satellite dish. The satellite went out during a bad thunderstorm last night but I was able to switch over to broadcast tv and continue watching the game.



Note: I replaced a Terk antenna that did not get good reception with this one. I like the fact that this is omnidirectional.

I used to get a decent signal with rabbit ears and thought this amplified antenna was overkill. I still had to jockey it around to get a good signal. It is now in the vertical position on the floor next to my TV bench instead of laying flat and discreet at the foot of the TV like I intended. Still get pixel static at times or loose signal now and then, but I don't have to waste money on cable.

This is a great antenna. I Live pretty far from the transmission antenna in my area but I'm getting 80 and 100% signal quality on my channels.



You have to be a little patient when finding a location to place it but when you find the right location you won't be disappointed in the picture you receive.

Hook this up to my TV with the amplifier. Put the antenna near the window. VIOLA! All the major channels in HD - FREE!



Support both UHF and VHF frequency. The thing also looks pretty sleek. For optimal result, better put it closer to the windows. Highly recommanded.

This RCA ANT1650 replaced a Jensen 82930-0-7, which served well for amplified, indoor reception, but poorly after the conversion to digital. Both antennas could be placed no closer than about 8' from the nearest window with the Jensen on the floor and the RCA about 6' above it.



I have owned the RCA antenna for about three-weeks.



For the basis of comparison, the Jensen antenna would lose both digital video and audio signals an average of 90-seconds an hour. The RCA loses no video at all, but does tend to drop audio for a split second maybe up to a total of five-seconds an hour, generally in the morning. The RCA permitted me to add an extra three stations in addition to those the Jensen antenna was receiving. Whereas signal strength on VHS stations with the Jension averaged about 55%, with the RCA, they come in closer to 95%.



The RCA antenna was a breeze to set up. I tweaked it off-and-on for a few days, but actually it required no significant adjustment for all 49 available signals. It does not need to be touched which is good, since while it appears durable enough, the bar-like stand it rests on tends not to seat too steadily in the holes provided in the back of the unit. That by the way is only one of two faults I find with the product. The second one is that the antenna has a sealed cable which means that if it shorts out, you have to replace the entire unit.



Overall while this is not a perfect antenna, I'd say it is quite good, especially given its distance from the window. I am satisfied and would recommend the product without reservation. - Hd Antenna - Hdtv Antenna - Tv Antenna - Rca'


Detail Products
Detail Reviews
Click here for more information


Amplified Antenna - tv antenna, hdtv antenna hd antenna Amplified Antenna - tv antenna, hdtv antenna